What to expect from living in Taiwan?

I am a Taiwanese guy in my mid 20’s and I am currently facing a decision to either move back to Taiwan or stay in America. I overstayed my visa here and life is very tough without being able to legally work or go to school here in America. However, I have grown up here all my life and the thought of moving to Taiwan is quite scary. I can speak Mandarin fairly well but I can’t read or write.

My question to you guys is what I should expect if I make the decision to move back? What are some advice you guys may be able to offer me for preparation? Any sort of advice will be very valuable to me as I am facing a tough situation right now. Thanks!

Could you enlighten us on the above?
Grown up all your life in the US but overstayed your Visa?

Grown up all your life in the US but overstayed your Visa?[/quote]

Sorry for leaving that out lol. My parents and I moved to the US when I was 4 and we never went back since. Thus, I do not have any memories of Taiwan nor most of my relatives at all.

Grown up all your life in the US but overstayed your Visa?[/quote]

Stranger things can happen with a screen name like that …

If I would be you I’d look into this :

• what will be the legal consequences in the US - overstaying your Visa (Did you went to TECO to ask advice ?)
  • what do you expect to do here in TW without a degree - (if you did not went to school ?)

While majority here are foreigners, our views can be biased and difficult to put ourselves in your shoes.

What level is your Mandarin?
What level is your Taiwanese?
How well do you read Mandarin written in Chinese characters?
What’s your highest level of formal education?
What employable skills do you have?
Do you still have family here who can provide a support network that might help you with employment?

If you’re here on your own – without a U.S. passport, without Mandarin skills, and without a support network – life would likely be difficult for a while. Also, you’ll probably be conscripted into the military here for a year or so. But there has been talk of eliminating mandatory military in the next few years.

[quote=“ceevee369”]If I would be you I’d look into this :

• what will be the legal consequences in the US - overstaying your Visa (Did you went to TECO to ask advice ?)
  • what do you expect to do here in TW without a degree - (if you did not went to school ?)

While majority here are foreigners, our views can be biased and difficult to put ourselves in your shoes.[/quote]

- what will be the legal consequences in the US - overstaying your Visa (Did you went to TECO to ask advice ?)

Basically I am facing a 10 year ban from the US once I leave. I currently can’t drive or work here legally so this is not the lifestyle I want to keep on living, I have dreams of being successful in my career and this is definitely holding me back and giving me unnecessary consequences.

- what do you expect to do here in TW without a degree - (if you did not went to school ?)

That is the thing I am trying to figure out. I’m giving myself a year or two to prepare my move to Taiwan but I am clueless about many things. I have been researching online so I know some things but I figured it would be better to get opinions of posters as well.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]What level is your Mandarin?
Do you still have family here who can provide a support network that might help you with employment?

If you’re here on your own – without a U.S. passport, without Mandarin skills, and without a support network – life would likely be difficult for a while. Also, you’ll probably be conscripted into the military here for a year or so. But there has been talk of eliminating mandatory military in the next few years.[/quote]

If I was to rate myself out of 10, I would say around a 6 or 7. I can fluently keep up a conversation in Mandarin to anybody but with basic to moderate words. I can definitely understand more than I can speak.

None, I can recognize a couple words and that is about it.

High School, but I plan to get a degree before moving back. My major is Marketing.

I have tons of work experience with graphic design and web-based marketing. I also have years of experience with customer service and photography. These are decent skills that can earn me around $12 an hour but like I said, this is under the table pay and I don’t know if I should be relying on this way of living the rest of my life.

I do have family that can help but they are strangers to me as of now. I don’t expect that they would be willing to help since my parents never got along with any of my family members.

If you’re here on your own – without a U.S. passport, without Mandarin skills, and without a support network – life would likely be difficult for a while. Also, you’ll probably be conscripted into the military here for a year or so. But there has been talk of eliminating mandatory military in the next few years.

I am aware of the military time but I don’t mind that too much since I figure it might be a good way to meet people and get used to some of the culture. But yes, that is what I am afraid of, if I go back to Taiwan and it doesn’t really benefit me. I don’t mind if I must struggle for a while but I am weighing-in on my options for the long term future.

If you can’t study or work legally in the US then you have to move to Taiwan. Otherwise you’ll just be wasting more time in limbo.

If I were an older relative of yours I would tell you to get to Taiwan immediately and do a degree in a university here. Then do your military service (excellent discipline for a young chap). By this time your Mandarin skills will have gone through the roof which, combined with your English ability and knowledge of US culture, will make you a highly marketable young man. Don’t do marketing, though. It’s bollocks.

I agree that having a college education would be extremely beneficial – or, more specifically, the lack of a degree would hurt him a lot. But which university here? He wouldn’t qualify as a foreign student or probably even as an overseas Chinese, so would the programs here in English still be available to him? At the moment, he couldn’t handle an elementary school primer in Mandarin, much less a college textbook.

I agree that having a college education would be extremely beneficial – or, more specifically, the lack of a degree would hurt him a lot. But which university here? He wouldn’t qualify as a foreign student or probably even as an overseas Chinese, so would the programs here in English still be available to him? At the moment, he couldn’t handle an elementary school primer in Mandarin, much less a college textbook.[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking as well. How would he start the process of applying for a Bachelors in a Taiwanese university? He’d have to take the gaokao tests wouldn’t he?

TomThorne has indeed good advice ( except on the Marketing thing which is still under world standard in TW :slight_smile: )

But, in regards to the possibility of going University here - what would stop the OP to learn as fast as possible in the next 1-2 years Mandarin back in the US?

I agree that having a college education would be extremely beneficial – or, more specifically, the lack of a degree would hurt him a lot. But which university here? He wouldn’t qualify as a foreign student or probably even as an overseas Chinese, so would the programs here in English still be available to him? At the moment, he couldn’t handle an elementary school primer in Mandarin, much less a college textbook.[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking as well. How would he start the process of applying for a Bachelors in a Taiwanese university? He’d have to take the gaokao tests wouldn’t he?[/quote]

I hadn’t thought about that. Not gaokao, though, they’re only for government jobs I think. He would have to do the uni entrance exam.

Sorry, OP. I was thinking that you could just pay to enter a private uni here. It would, IMO, still be worth contacting the private unis here as I have a suspicion that they might make a special case for you. Enter the foreign student programme as a Taiwanese citizen. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Once he finishes his Marketing degree in the US, could he return to Taiwan and get his MBA? My understanding is that some of the MBA programs in Taiwan are taught in English, or taught in Mandarin but allow for English-language submittals on assignments/exams.

[quote=“tomthorne”]If you can’t study or work legally in the US then you have to move to Taiwan. Otherwise you’ll just be wasting more time in limbo.

If I were an older relative of yours I would tell you to get to Taiwan immediately and do a degree in a university here. Then do your military service (excellent discipline for a young chap). By this time your Mandarin skills will have gone through the roof which, combined with your English ability and knowledge of US culture, will make you a highly marketable young man. Don’t do marketing, though. It’s bollocks.[/quote]

This helps a lot. Marketing has been my interest here in the US but I haven’t exactly taken too many classes for it yet, what kind of degree is more of value in Taiwan for my situation?

[quote=“KobeBryant81”][quote=“ceevee369”]If I would be you I’d look into this :

While majority here are foreigners, our views can be biased and difficult to put ourselves in your shoes.[/quote]

- what will be the legal consequences in the US - overstaying your Visa (Did you went to TECO to ask advice ?)

Basically I am facing a 10 year ban from the US once I leave. I currently can’t drive or work here legally so this is not the lifestyle I want to keep on living, I have dreams of being successful in my career and this is definitely holding me back and giving me unnecessary consequences.

- what do you expect to do here in TW without a degree - (if you did not went to school ?)

That is the thing I am trying to figure out. I’m giving myself a year or two to prepare my move to Taiwan but I am clueless about many things. I have been researching online so I know some things but I figured it would be better to get opinions of posters as well.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]What level is your Mandarin?

If you’re here on your own – without a U.S. passport, without Mandarin skills, and without a support network – life would likely be difficult for a while. Also, you’ll probably be conscripted into the military here for a year or so. But there has been talk of eliminating mandatory military in the next few years.[/quote]

If I was to rate myself out of 10, I would say around a 6 or 7. I can fluently keep up a conversation in Mandarin to anybody but with basic to moderate words. I can definitely understand more than I can speak.

None, I can recognize a couple words and that is about it.

High School, but I plan to get a degree before moving back. My major is Marketing.

I have tons of work experience with graphic design and web-based marketing. I also have years of experience with customer service and photography. These are decent skills that can earn me around $12 an hour but like I said, this is under the table pay and I don’t know if I should be relying on this way of living the rest of my life.

I do have family that can help but they are strangers to me as of now. I don’t expect that they would be willing to help since my parents never got along with any of my family members.

I am aware of the military time but I don’t mind that too much since I figure it might be a good way to meet people and get used to some of the culture. But yes, that is what I am afraid of, if I go back to Taiwan and it doesn’t really benefit me. I don’t mind if I must struggle for a while but I am weighing-in on my options for the long term future.[/quote]

You might be able to find work doing graphic design in the US while you live in Taiwan. There are plenty of people taking there work online to save money. You might be able to earn 60,000NT a month doing graphic design remotely. Start up your on company online and make more.

[/quote]

You might be able to find work doing graphic design in the US while you live in Taiwan. There are plenty of people taking there work online to save money. You might be able to earn 60,000NT a month doing graphic design remotely. Start up your on company online and make more.[/quote]

60k nt for graphic design? Isn’t this the same pay as a engrish teacher?

My Mandarin level is much better than the OP but had the same issue too.

If you can’t stick it out in the US (you can also work online even in the US) then come back to Taiwan, do your military (you may or may not like it… the cultural difference and defeatist attitude really gets me “Kill the commanding officer if China attacks and surrender”??) Then after military try and get yourself in the position of starting a business, because it’s the ONLY way to make any real money in Taiwan. Employed work pays like crap but will give experience. The problem with online work is that the income is often inconsistent.

Forget university… English programs favor foreigners and having a TW passport is actually a curse here. You would have to take the regular entrance exam, which I haven’t taken but if it’s anywhere near as hard as the exam for government jobs, you have NO chance. It would take at least 10 years at Shida to be able to get to the point where you can have a chance at passing those exams. Remember most Taiwanese study at least 10 hours a day, going to cram schools, for the last 12 years in order to even do mediocre at those exams! Besides there are so many college grads here (many of whom actually have a degree at a US Ivy League school) that employers aren’t interested in hearing about which school you went to. If you have the right skill set they will hire you regardless of your degrees. Also, you don’t need a degree to start a business. If you really need a degree then you may consider University of Phoenix if you can afford it, but seriously I feel its a waste of time and money because I never really got to use the degree. In that case all they really want to see is your high school transcript from the US and they won’t make you take a TOFEL if you show them a US High School diploma, much easier than taking the Taiwan college entrance exam in my opinion.

About a 10 year ban, might as well consider it a lifetime ban because US is so paranoid that even a little smudge on your record is grounds for exclusion or refusal of visa/entry. Visa Wavier DOES NOT APPLY if you have ever overstayed, even once, and unlike many other countries, US actively deports and excludes those who overstayed as a child… they do not care. Although it does depend on who you talk to… because immigration guys (whoever at the window that is) have absolute power in deciding if you can get a visa.

So someone who has grown up in the US since they were a little kid isn’t entitled to any kind of visa?

If you overstayed as a kid in their mind its no different than if you overstayed as an adult. That is the unfortunate fact.

Also in the eyes of most country, visas aren’t an entitlement, it’s a privilege.

I feel for your situation, taiwan luthiers, i really do.

I have a q for the both of u boys, that is what do your parents say in all this? Theyre the ones who brought u to the usa and stayed for so long illegally, what they just expect u to live your lives there illegally? Did they have a plan? Are they in the usa still and what is their status? Or are they in taiwan now?

If u find this too intrusive, im sorry. :blush: Its just ive heard about this too often in taiwan and i wonder how the heck the parents, who caused this in e first place, expect their kids to move to a near foreign country they left as a young child, and hit the ground running?!