I’m currently planning a move to the Taipei area for roughly a year, hopefully in the fall, assuming my gold card and dependent visas come through. We’re a family of 6 with 4 children under the age of 10, and we’re trying to figure out what the best housing setup would be for us. A few notes:
- Min 3 bed/2 bath, prefer 4 bed to have room for a home office.
- Planning to send our older kids to the local public elementary school, they already speak and read Mandarin.
- Fairly flexible in terms of location as my work is remote. Need to commute to the Taipei Main Station area probably 1x/week.
- Trying to balance being centrally located vs price vs size/quality of home.
- Preferred price range of < 40000 TWD/month, although that could be stretched if necessary.
- Totally unnecessary, but having access to Costco would be nice!
With that, I have a few questions.
- Are my expectations reasonable? What do I need to adjust?
- What size/quality of place can I expect to get? Is it worth it to rent a furnished place?
- When looking for a place, what should I keep an eye out for? How much does age matter?
- Will the kids generally be able to walk to and from school?
- Is there a recommended area of town? We’re looking for an area which has convenient access to “everything”, but isn’t too hectic. We also don’t need easy access to western food.
- Is buying a car recommended? We love public transport generally.
I perused 591.com.tw, but there’s such a large price variance I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. I also searched but feel free to link me if I missed something. Thanks in advance!