What to expect in terms of housing for a large family?

Might struggle to find that. But yeah I’d search on 591 in the 40,000 to 60,000 range and I’d imagine offering about 5,000 less than the asking. I’d definitely go for new Taipei and I’d ask for a multiple year lease

1 Like

welcome!

here is a new spacious 4 bedroom right on the MRT line. It ticks all your boxes.

https://m.591.com.tw/v2/rent/11803725

This next new one is in Banqiao near Fuzhong MRT Station. Ticks all boxes too except furniture.

https://m.591.com.tw/v2/rent/11842186

This one has an open kitchen with island…very rare.

https://m.591.com.tw/v2/rent/11811975

I’m partial to Sanxia. Great schools. Bit no MRT yet. It’s 3 years from being finished.

This one is Banqiao. Older but remodeled. Get a load of that oven and range!

https://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-11811975.html

Happy house hunting!

2 Likes

Thanks, those places all look really nice! Better than I was hoping for frankly.

Quick question, which of these ping numbers should I be looking at?

Lowest number. You have to be careful about 坪, because shared public facilities (lobby, stairs, parking, gym…) are usually included. If you are unaware of this, you’ll find that the actual apartment is much smaller than you thought. In this case, the second, and smaller, 坪 does not include public facilities. Still, I don’t know how they get this number. I think it still includes the walls and other non-habitable stuff of the apartment. Therefore, the total useful area of all the rooms may be a bit smaller than that.

1 Like

Listen to @Liam_Og , get a longer lease. 2 year minimum to avoid being flipped. Many will buy and rent it out wile trying to sell it. Ask up front about their intentions to sell.

It’s annoying to find a perfect rental but then have to move out after a year and put up with tours for potential buyers.

Also ask if they intend to move in eventually. I’ve had that happen before. Landlords were gifted the house by elderly parent. They didn’t move in because said parent was ill. So they were iliving with the parent taking care of them until the parent passed away. When that happened, they wanted to move in and I had to vacate at the end of the lease.

So cover all bases and ask.

2 Likes

Yeah we found a massive place , had recently switched hands, landlord claimed wouldn’t be moving in for years…Of course before end of the year had said we need to vacate . Would have been much better to get a 2 year lease especially if you have kids and are settled . Recently there’s been more churn in the rental market I feel.

Most of those are oversubscribed. You can’t just move there and expect your kids can get into them. Same issue with many popular residential districts , particularly acute in Hsinchu. Be put on waiting list at best. Maybe if you you are all foreigners you can get your kid(s) in.
It’s a bit ironic that a country with record low birth rate can be hard to get kids into schools sometimes but… that’s the way it is in those popular and better laid out areas.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Does getting a longer lease protect you from them wanting to move in and/or sell the place? Like, couldn’t they do that anyways even if you have a longer lease?

Well we are all foreigners, but I think I don’t even know enough to know what the popular districts are! And how does being all foreigners help?

Because you don’t have same restrictions due to household registration system. You don’t fit into the system therefore they sometimes let foreign kids get in without the rules applied to local kids in the public schools.

1 Like

True.

If you are a homeowner, you are guaranteed admission. But not so lucky if you are a renter. Renters have to go on a wait list for admission.

They can ask you to end your lease early but they can’t force you out before the end of your lease. I believe they would have to buy out the remainder of the lease to do that and return deposits. They also have to provide you 2 months advanced notice.

1 Like

That is not the case either. They have waiting lists still for some schools. You are guaranteed a place for your kids, but it may be in a school further away.

1 Like

Hmmm, we were told in the area we live that, as homeowners, we didn’t need to go on a list. Our oldest starts public school next fall and had no trouble signing him up even though there is a wait list for renters.

Maybe we got lucky or ones mileage may very?

(shrug)

I mean it’s not assured. Of course if you have the primary huji there that’s good but when there’s already many with primary huji waiting then…It’s actually one thing I detest about Taiwan, the way richer people can take more public resources compared to poorer ones .

2 Likes

Sounds like the first ping number is basically meaningless, as what it includes could vary significantly between the complex…

Yes, you are not guaranteed a place, happened to some friends in Taipei city, kid was even in the attached kindy, but could not be accepted into first grade. Said goodbye to all his buddies and off to the school up the road.

It is meaningless to me. I don’t know how much it matters to Taiwanese. Maybe the real state industry use it just to be able to write a bigger number. Maybe it is a legal obligation.

it’s not meaningless entirely , you pay management fees and taxes based on your total area.
I prefer the older buildings since their net useable area is larger

3 Likes

Researching leases a bit more, it seems like you can end your lease at any time with no penalty if you give 30 days notice? If that’s true, is there any reason why wouldn’t you sign as long of a lease as possible to lock in the rent?