What to expect in terms of housing for a large family?

It’s called 北大特區 but yeah, probably the same area.

1 Like

It was many years ago. Perhaps they fixed the problem.

Seems like they’ve done something about it last year.

I didnt even know they did something last year. I was there when Typhoon Souledor dropped by as a Cat 3/4 typhoon and it seemed normal to me.

There was even a flood in June last year. The news says this problem will be fixed in September, 2020. But I don’t think we have a typhoon since then to test the new system.

It’s not like the whole sanxia floods. But 台北大學 is famous of its “lake view”.

Interesting. I didnt know.

Been in Sanxia Bei Da area for 6 years. I liked it so much I bought a house there. Never seen flooding at all. Spectacular views of all of Taipei, can see 101 from my balcony on a clear day.

Anyways, just thought I’d chime in to defend Sanxia.

Doesn’t help the OP though.

OP, definitely look in person before committing to a rental. Anything newer (reads nicer) in central Taipei is going to be out of your budget.

I agree with Marco about branching out to the end of the MRT lines and looking there if public transport is important to you.

You mentioned you will WFH. If that is the case, why the need to be near Taipei Main?

IMO, research the schools and pick a location based on that. Not all public schools are equal.

Not sure how used to Taiwan style homes you are. Coming from Texas, where both homes and apartments are comfortably sized, houses in Taiwan will feel tiny. A lot of those pictures on 591 can be misleading about size. Again, best to see in person.

How important is kitchen size and kitchen amenities to you? The average Taiwanese kitchen is no bigger than a coat closet with little to no counter space, a two burner stove, no oven and no dishwasher.

If you cook, and those things are important to you, add it to your search criteria.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Check out Xinzhuang. There’s a newish Costco that’s rarely crowded

1 Like

Totally agree on this one. I find Danshui less rainy and humid than Taipei on average. The air quality is a lot better too.

I’d look at it and turn on faucets, ac, everything before renting. Most places I’ve rented had something not working.
The surroundings are important and you can’t really see that from a listing. I’ve lived in and outside the city. Both are great but different, so it really comes down to what your family wants to do.
Shorter commute times mean more time with family.

2 Likes

Also, demand that the landlord reimburse you for an A/C cleaning. You should be cleaning them twice a year.

I’m primarily WFH, but will need to head to the office near Taipei Main Station 1-2x a week.

Any tips on that? Is there a https://www.greatschools.org/ equivalent?

Thanks, we do cook a lot, and we’re ok with the two burner stove. Could probably survive without an oven although we would probably get a small toaster oven. Would love to have a dishwasher, but are those common?

In newer buildings, yes, they exist but are not common.

1 Like

Hey, a friend suggested Xindian, near the end of the green line, after saying that the red line is slower and more crowded than the other subway lines. Any thoughts on how Xindian compares to the other areas mentioned (eg Zhuwei) in other ways?

That’s the weird thing, coastlines often see less rain than a few km inland, it’s like an invisible barrier. The only problem is humidity combined with salinity.

1 Like

PROOF! that it’s raining in Taipei and clear in Beitou/Danshui…at least for today.

For my good friend @MadamBroccoli

I’m kidding.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a beautiful picture!

I’ve never doubted the beauty of danshui river. I’ve visited a friend who stayed at a river view suite for a few months. And the price is cheap. It’s just not for us urban creatures I guess.

1 Like

Well it’s taken 5 months but we’re finally here! Just about to hit the 24 hour mark for quarantine, and so far everything’s going well.

Since I originally posted I’ve updated a couple of the things we’re looking for, see below:

• We’re a family of 6 with 4 children under the age of 10.
  • Looking for 4 bed/3 bath in Taipei/New Taipei, could settle for 2 bath.
  • Planning to send our older kids to the local public elementary school, they already speak and read Mandarin.
  • Fairly flexible in terms of location as most of my work is remote. Need to commute to the Taipei Main Station area probably 1x/week.
  • Prefer to have MRT access rather than needing to buy a car
  • Trying to balance being centrally located vs price vs size/quality of home.
  • Preferred price around ~45000 TWD/month, although for the right place I could go up to ~60000.
  • Prefer a newer, mostly unfurnished place.
  • Oh and we’d prefer a place with an elevator, one flight of stairs could be ok but more than that might be too much.
  • Totally unnecessary, but having access to Costco would be nice!

We expect to be out of quarantine on New Year’s Eve - how do I start looking? Do I just browse 591 and message people? How possible is it to see multiple places in one day?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

you first need to choose an area you want to live in (taipei or new taipei, probably depends which school your kids will go to), then go on 591 and msg people. you will see that many apartments are posted by agents, sometimes multiple agents post the same apartment.
after you come out of quarantine, walk the streets of the neighborhood and go into the real estate agencies and ask what they have, most of it will be on 591, but you might get a few more.

its possible to schedule multiple places a day.

for 4 bed room - low chances of finding a new place with elevator in your price range in Taipei. the new buildings are usually 2 or 3 bedrooms (due to the low birth rate, there is less need for apartments with lots of bedrooms), the 4 bedroom places will either be in older buildings, or in relatively high end price range.

i dont know how things are in new taipei.

1 Like

Any ideas on researching schools? I guess that’s probably a whole topic of its own.

Great, sounds like we don’t need to plan super far in advance.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I saw. I didn’t realize there were less 4 bedroom places in the newer buildings, that’s unfortunate.