What to give this lady?

Taiwanese are prolifically generous gifters

So you don’t want to give her fruit, like she gave you, because giving fruit at some ‘level’ might be another level which is a different level compared to the level she might be using to calculate her levels which are nowhere near the level … ? I don’t think she’s really doing levels Winterdrops.

Not trying to get into a philosophical debate. Just simply…what foods and snacks are distinctly Taiwanese that the older generation would love?That’s all really.

I’m realizing I might have come to the wrong place with this question.

There’s just no easy answer to it. You were given probably the best possible answer within the first few posts: fruit or cookies (or any other similar snack item IMO). First, this kind of gift giving has a ritual status among the Taiwanese. The actual content of the gift isn’t important. I get it, you want to give her something she will like. But there isn’t one answer to what an older Taiwanese person will like, outside of “anything you get that shows that you care enough about her to reciprocate the gift”. There’s an entire wealth of valid suggestions above.

2 Likes

A gift box of expensive Japanese fruit.