What TV are you watching (2020)?

The Handmaid’s Tale, great plot, actors and filming. To be honest I don’t really like Elisabeth Moss (the leading actress), but I keep watching it because of the story.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett is showing afternoons at 4pm on MOD HITS channel 620. They showed about 4 episodes in a row on Sunday afternoon so I checked it’s on daily.

One of the best, or the best, of the Sherlock Holmes productions. 7 seasons produced by a UK production company. Very addicting skilled production.

Finally finished Hannibal Season 3. So, I kinda got used to having to hold a Disney level of suspension of disbelief.

Sculley was great…just great cold delivery. Whatever happens to her in Season 4, her arc sure won’t have legs.

I thought the second half of S3 (all the Red Dragon stuff) was much stronger than the first half (the Europe section). Great finale imo.

You’re optimistic thinking there will be a S4 though.

Yes, the Europe stuff was some mixture of Harry Potter and that gay vampire HBO show and the Dexter hat tips were all over the place.

The RD stuff was very good.

1 Like

it’s the dogs bollocks!

@bojack I think you’ll like this if you can find a way to watch it. Ted Lasso was a character they made for a commercial. They now made it into a show. It’s about a American football coach going to coach football in the UK.

The commercial
An American Coach in London: NBC Sports Premier League Film featuring Jason Sudeikis - YouTube

The trailer

2 Likes

Dude! Thanks a bunch! I downloaded season 1 based on your recommendation and tonight the wife and I watched the first two episodes. It was awesome. It was painful to not binge watch the remaining 8 episodes. You are correct in wondering how they are going to keep it funny for season 2 and further, but I think the mystery (self-driving car) uncovered in episode 2 will keep it going for a while. Excellent show.

2 Likes

The wife and I just completed watching season 4. My wife also isn’t crazy about sci-fi, but she enjoys the story of world building.

A lot of “action junkies” have complained about lack of seat gripping action for season 4 and too much story telling, but I believe that’s what makes The Expanse much more compelling than another Marvel type super hero movie with explosions, fights and car chases every second.

I thought season 4 was very well written and acted and feel that it lacked nothing. My wife’s favorite character is Chrisjen Avasarala.

Spoiler alert - Chrisjen Avarsarala’s best one liners.

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBm9IAhL1I8

My favorite character, of course, is Amos Burton. After all, “I am that guy!”

Spoiler alert - The best Amos Burton one liners.

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0tg4hZvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvwq-cxGZw

2 Likes

On 3 times a day lately.

Loving the political machinations in The Expanse. Also the straight up horror. Not often you see intragalactic politics mashed up with horror done well (has it ever been done on television?), but so far The Expanse is acing that test.

By the way, you might want to edit a spoiler alert into your post. For me, last night’s episode was the Season 2 ep (10?) where Prax learns the freeze-dried body in the cryogenic chamber is not his daughter Mei. The last clip you linked to, I am that guy, put the kibosh on (spoiled) Prax’s anguish over her fate like two seconds in. I didn’t click on anything else, so not sure about the other two clips.

1 Like

I’m so sorry bro. I’ve put the Youtube clips into a hidden “Summary” tab and labeled it appropriately.

2 Likes

I just finished the first season of The Expanse, and it was a fun watch. The plot was a little murky at first, but things came together eventually. Great visuals, and solid acting as well. I especially liked Thomas Jane’s over the top performance as the hardboiled detective.

3 Likes

No problem! Once Prax saw it wasn’t Mei, I kinda figured that Mei was alive. Not a thing.

At first I thought the Belter patois was going to spoil things, but fortunately the writers made it easier to understand after the second episode. And with world building there always seems to be barriers to quick entry. It smooths out and gets easier by about the 3rd episode, I thought.

Contrast to Netflix’s Haunting of Hill House. I didn’t think I’d ever get the kids’ names put with their faces, seemed to take forever (for me anyway).

Minor spoiler, Jane gets even better in Season 2. In fact, I was kind of on the fence about the over-the-topness until S2. Just a grand slam home run by Thomas Jane, I thought.

3 Likes

Damn, you’ve ruined it for me!

Ep 4, the sex scene. In fact I’m still laughing. :joy:

I haven’t laughed that hard at a sex scene since Madeline Kahn’s Lili seduced Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles.

Star Trek: Lower Decks animation

Watched the first episode. Great concept, poorly done, not great.

@lostinasia I binged season 2 in 5 days. Catch up. It’s good!

I’ll wait for you here to discuss.

1 Like

Season one was ok, mainly pulling you through from one plot point to the next with scenes set to semi-ironic songs. Season two was a nice improvement both plot and character wise (still a plethora of logic and plot holes though, but apparently this isn’t the type of show that cares (?)…), with the music supervisor really earning his paycheck judging by the frequency with which they attempt to strike gold twice to rival that I Think We’re Alone Now sequence, probably 2-3 times per episode… but to uneven results. Points for effort though.

The only thing that was nice from s1 but missing in s2 was Hazel and Chacha’s banter. But I’m sure with how they left s2, it’s not inconceivable to bring at least Hazel back.

Funnily enough, I drove through Dallas about a week and a half ago, where the next morning I had a quick moment before heading off to New Orleans… Which was when I decided to make a quick stop at Dealy Plaza.

It was uneventful.

1 Like