What TV shows are you watching (2021)?

@jdsmith
Thank you for the John from Cincinnati and the Ed O’Neill documentary…
He did Drag Net? Great… I enjoyed watching the original series on late night TV. Ed O’Neill does a pretty good Joe Friday! Thank you. Something else to watch as well.

Yeah, my bad for being snippy. I’m allowed though…mid fifties.

1 Like

Evil is a pretty decent series. Just started season 2.

No worries. I’m right there with ya in the fifties department. Plus, I could be worse.
Stuck… at home.
Anyway thanks. I’ll be persuing dragnet first because I like his cop persona. I’ll be circling back to John a bit later.

I found this audio adaptation of dragnet so I can putt around the house doing chores.
Thanks again. I would not have found dragnet without you.

I rewatched Season 1 of Star Trek: Lower Decks (Amazon Prime here in Taiwan) over the last few weeks, before Season 2’s first episode dropped a couple of days ago. If you like 90s-era Trek, I highly, highly recommend Lower Decks; I enjoy it a lot more than I do Picard or Discovery. If you don’t like Trek, definitely don’t bother. If you don’t know Trek, this may not be a good place to start, because a lot of the humour is reference-based. (Start with Next Generation Season 3.)

I also binged through Season 1 of Kingdom (Netflix): zombie outbreak threatens Joseon (?) Korea. I’m not a big fan of either zombie shows or the various historical Asian dramas (I’ve watched a grand total of one episode of The Walking Dead, and that was enough), but I enjoyed this. Nothing deep but well done, and often looks fantastic. I haven’t started Season 2 yet. There are six episodes in Season 1, and it mostly zips along, except for the occasional “suspense” moments that are milked for way too long. I usually don’t like gore or body horror but I was fine with this.

We have Amazon prime in Taiwan?

BTW I am already in season 5 of ST:NG. It has been a torturous journey but at least now I get more references to the memes than before.

2 Likes

Getting a sense of deja vu here, from earlier in the year …

1 Like

Ted Lasso Season 2.

1 Like

You don’t even need a VPN to use Amazon Video here. Just need a US DNS. It’s super easy to circumvent. There are about 5 people on our plan using It simultaneously from different parts of the world on one account. Amazon doesn’t care at all as long as you are ordering stuff, and we all are.

I am not pay attention…

Tremendously looking forward to this, getting good vibes

2 Likes

I loved those books when I was a kid, but I honestly can’t remember a single character or plot point.

Has anyone seen Netflix’s “The Chair”?

@TT @jdsmith @tempogain

I read the review in the WSJ and am cautiously optimistic, but I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts.

Ha, I only caught up in last 10 years.

no, but i read a very positive review in the guardian yesterday and would like to check it out

I love Rosamund Pike, but it will be a challenge to make this work. I read the first few books when I was a young fantasy buff, but I never made it all the way through what Wikipedia tells me is now 4.5 million words.

It will also be difficult for them to show us something we haven’t already seen before. GoT was good and LoTR was good, but Terry Goodkind’s story adaptation and the Shannara adaptation both only got 2 seasons

The discworld adaptations have been disappointing as well, i couldn’t even finish the Hogfather. The Watch looked so bad i didn’t even try to watch it.

TV fantasy: Hope for the best, expect for the worst.

2 Likes

The reviews I said categorized it as an uneven comedy, but I would say it was more of an uneven drama with a few comedic scenes. The whole season is just 6 episodes and despite jumping in in media res, it doesn’t seem to get going, or to where it is going, in a satisfactory way for me. You might enjoy it with your history in academia, but I found it more frustrating than entertaining, though parts were entertaining.

2 Likes

i started rewatching community, and i don’t watch much TV these days, so maybe i’ll wait for a while to try this one out. thanks for the perspective!