What TV shows are you watching? (2023)

He is a great actor :laughing:

1 Like

Man, last of us continues to hit on all notes. Pretty standard romance story, but damn, the casting and performances are good - Storm was awesome. That said,

2 Likes

Highly recommend The Bear if you haven’t seen it. Available on disney plus alongside Atlanta season 4 and Reservation Dogs. All really phenomenal.

Now watching season 4 of You because why not. It’s not great tv but it’s fun.

2 Likes

It is an awful slow burn to a terrible punch in …a most sensitive area. In the meantime, they just play tricks with us and wrap us in their shell game and just when we are enjoying ourselves …BAM! Right in the guts. But that is just practice for what’s to come.

I am developing a love/hate relationship with this series. While I can’t peel my eyes off the screen when it’s playing, hell if I am watching any chapter again. And this is from a serial bigger, who enjoys collecting shows and watching over and over again. Even GOT. But this one? No way Jose!

Gangs of New York

Movie has been showing once or twice a day on repeat on Rock Extreme, Chunghua channel 383.

Yes, chef!

1 Like

The Consultant

5/10

Oddball character that doesn’t connect with story, incongruent stupidity, directing mucked up. Not much happening except a lot of dramatic music and dream sequences try to fake you out that there’s some drama. Story has huge holes and nothing comes together at the end realize huge waste of time.

It will be intresting to see how season 2 pans out.
Ellie goes through quite a personality shift in part 2 of the game and of course there is the “big event” which could kill the show just as season 6 of the Walking Dead shot itself in the foot by killing off a certain main character. Fans were not happy and the show lost a lot of its followers.

Up to now, they have done very near perfection with the Last of Us, I hope they find a way to keep it going.

I think it is going GOT so far, great following and even expanding on the original story, because the story is well built. Will they keep going after the story ends in the game?

As I said, it’s a buildup. It’ll be a shock any way it goes.

They should just pretend part 2 doesn’t exist

1 Like

agreed

A Spy Among Friends

8/10

Intriguing in-depth spy story based on true story about Kim Philby and Russian infiltration into highest level of government. Binged watched. Try to watch all 6 episodes close together to maintain continuity. I only checked because I like Damian Lewis acting and turned out great. Almost want to repeat it.

https://g.co/kgs/8iVf1D

1 Like

I’ve now seen three episodes of Picard Season 3, and I’m feeling much more optimistic about this season: I thought this most recent episode was fantastic, giving McFadden, Frakes, and Picard all more to work with than they typically had in a Next Generation episode.

I’m still trying to avoid too much anticipation given the eventual train wrecks of the two prior seasons, but at least this time around the curve is going in the right direction.

EDIT: And then there’s Season 3, Episode 1, of The Mandalorian. Whoah. They’ve gone way more muppet show now, even though Baby Yoda was already a big step in that direction. Um, if you thought Babu Frick was the best part of The Rise of Skywalker (a position I wouldn’t argue with), well, there’s lots more of them now. Episode 1 was like wandering around in an open-world video game, finding out about all the different quests and then wandering off to do something else.

What a weird evening of TV whiplash. I’ve spent the past three weeks watching a bunch of 1930s & 40s screwball comedies, and “snow westerns” from the 60s and 70s, that were leaving the Criterion Channel at the end of February. Going from Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, Peckinpah, and Altman to contemporary franchise sci-fi is an interesting jump!

Anyone see the new Chris Rock Netflix special? Wow. I thought it was pretty good but nothing that memorable … until the last 10 minutes when he absolutely savaged Will Smith and (good on him for this) his wife Jada. Watch the special, but if you don’t have enough time then at least watch the last 10 minutes. Revenge is a dish best served cold, indeed.

3 Likes

Just saw the clip. Pretty brutal. Not very funny, but definitely deserved.

2 Likes

三体 Three-Body : science fiction novel written by the Chinese writer Liu Cixin (the three body problem) trilogy now a 30ep series.

i have read the books… amazing hard sci fi, the Chinese series (30 episodes) deals with the first book, its very good (budget of just 10 million usd) most think that the low fi CGI of the VR sequences is intentional to represent the time period. I managed to find a nice 30 episode 16gb 1080p torrent with subs.

Netflix will be releasing their own version sometime as well, although i dont think it will hold as true to the book as the Chinese version.

1 Like

Highly entertaining except for the Will Smith segment. That part seemed petty and cruel to me.

I never knew how weird his face looks, tbh. :idunno:

Well, maybe you would turn the other cheek. But Will Smiths comments after seemed to lack the “I’m sorry and I was wrong to do that” when Chris was just making a joke, while doing his job as a comedian, making jokes about many people. Saw a lot of, “Thats not who I really am, thats not the real me, etc…” woke bullshit, now people dont even have to really apologize, just talk about how they have issues, feelings, … t

I’m not condoning Will Smith’s violence. It was wrong on every level. I also think it’s wrong though to mock a person’s health problems and then be self-righteous and petty about doing it.