What TV shows are you watching 2024?

So, they changed the channel setup on cable, as they do every year. However, this time it feels like we were thrown in a time vortex.

It was bad enough when one B channel resurrected Macgyver. Now there is a whole channel I’ve caught with gems as Mission Impossible - like, with Leonard Nimoy and Martin Landau -, The Walton’s - was a big hit where I came from-, Remington Steele…you get the picture.

Like Star Trek on Netflix, I am rediscovering their true images, as I watched this stuff in black and white. :scream:

4 Likes

Korean dramas in netflix lol

1 Like

Those are awesome. A little bit of sunshine is really moving.

I was just commenting on how weird it is to have those ancient shows here.

What’s next? Turkish soap operas?

1 Like

They recently put “Vivant” on Netflix, pretty entertaining japanese prime-time drama, I recommend.

3 Likes

They will play Are you being served? next. :eek:

It’s been a thing for a while now, at least in the US. You can find old television shows like Perry Mason (w/Raymond Burr), Macgyver, The Golden Girls, Hogan’s Heroes, Taxi, etc etc on free-to-stream apps like FreeVee (owned by Amazon), PlutoTV, and Tubi (owned by Fox).

The slow death of cable tv in the US, coupled with FCC regulations about on-air, antenna television has also led to a plethora of new digital sub-channels that air decades-old television shows. Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Star Trek (TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise), Newhart, The Waltons, and many dozens of others are available if you have a tv with a tuner and an antenna. Digital sub-channels like MeTV even host Chicago-land’s still-kicking Svengoolie on Saturday nights (airing live iirc).

Guess I’m not surprised that cable tv, even in Taiwan, would opt to show what must be very inexpensive content here in 2024.

1 Like

I’d love if they played old sci Fi like SPACE 1999 or the original Galactica, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,etc. I am more than happy to rewatch any Star Trek show over and over again.

I was watching The Golden Girls on Disney I think. Disney also has some Dr. Who specials.

And on the nostalgia bit, they have Batman the animated series on Netflix.

Thinking of binging ‘Succession’ as my next show, but worried about committing that much time to yet another long running show.

So far reacher has been better than the first season which had some slow points

In Spanish and English. Boy Jesus.

The Korean Netflix show bloodhounds was really good fun but the last two episodes were a noticable drop in quality.

1 Like

Netflix, https://www.netflix.com/watch/81748512?trackId=255824129

Pretty decent. It seems a lot of the core fanbase are not that happy, but I havent read the manga, so, I liked it. A lot actually. It seems they went into a monster apocalypse System as a game world. My fav genre these past few years. 8/5/10

‘Masters of the Air.’ Produced by Spielberg and supposedly a companion piece to ‘Band of Brothers’ (perhaps THE best miniseries ever) and ‘The Pacific’, this is a real letdown. It doesn’t even measure up to ‘The Pacific’, let alone ‘Band of Brothers.’ Two dimensional characters reduced to one or two traits (like being a heavy drinker or being prone to air sickness), bad CGI, slow and boring and even the action scenes are repetitive due to the nature of it all being aerial combat… I can’t recommend it, and probably won’t even watch another episode. I think I’ll just rewatch ‘Band of Brothers’ for like the fourth time.

EDIT: I just saw on IMDB the latest episode has a pretty high rating, so maybe I’ll give it one more shot.

2 Likes

Spielberg ruined Empire of the Sun by injecting his fanboy love for WWII airplanes.

Seems pretty faithful to the web toon so far. But I’m not a fan of the art style. It’s just no where near as good as the original which is too bad

He’s back… like anyone cares…

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 12 started 4 Feb 2024

1 Like

Last season! So he says now, ha.

I guess it’s time to buy HBO membership again

In Taiwan? Which one do you get? I’ve never seen GOT.

He has to be pushing 80. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I thought the early seasons were much stronger than the last few. It’s kind of become formulaic and the cringey interactions have become predictable (“oh, Larry will say/ do this, and this person will react this way”).