What would be considered a good salary in Taiwan?

I’m just curious what people consider a good salary in Taiwan.

For example, is 80000 NT per month a good salary, or is it still average?

I’d say it was good by local standards. Better than average. It should be around double what most new English teachers are earning. What are the hours like? Are there any bonuses? These things are all important.

1 million a month is a good salary.

everything’s relative, though.

Quite agree! I personally have moral objections to working more than three days per week, as well as working longer than the US school year (generally about 9 months overall). I feel it engenders an inappropriate sense of entitlement to my time.

Based on those conditions I’ll grudgingly accept urodacus’ offer… Was that in USD or euros?

You will be doing well in Taiwan on 80,000NT/mo but it’s not a ridiculous amount of money. Especially if you want to continue to live a western lifestyle.

Quite agree! I personally have moral objections to working more than three days per week, as well as working longer than the US school year (generally about 9 months overall). I feel it engenders an inappropriate sense of entitlement to my time.

Based on those conditions I’ll grudgingly accept urodacus’ offer… Was that in USD or euros?[/quote]

US or Euros. I don’t care. Just not NTD. If you don’t put out, you don’t get.

Also missing from this equation: job description, working hours, bonuses, possibility of advancement, and location, location, location.

Do note that 80,000 would be almost double the “average” (taken here to be mean and not median, I believe) monthly salary of NT$44,739.

Monday-Friday daytime with the occasional mandatory Saturday social event. 80000 NT before tax plus three months paid vacation.

Three months of paid vacations? 80,000 NT? It´s not bad at all. I make 60k, plus a bit more of one month of bonus, and I´ve got only 7 days of vacations.

May I ask what´s your job?

Question: What would make a good salary in Taiwan?
Answer: More than your neighbours.

[quote=“superking”]Question: What would make a good salary in Taiwan?
Answer: More than your neighbours.[/quote]

I prefer: “Just a little bit more than I’m making now.”

3 months paid vacation sure sounds good!

It’s all relative.

In what I am doing now, I would say that if I worked for someone else, I would not do it for less than 200k a month. The responsibility and the stress that goes with it is rather tough to handle at times.

If I was sitting at a desk chopping papers and drinking tea/reading the paper, I would do that for 80k.

If I were a junior financial analyst 130k and above and I would be happy.

It is all relative to what you do, how long you do it for each day, and the amount of shit you have to deal with.

You all so swag.

?

If I taught English in a kindergarten, I would happily do it for NT$500 per hour. No stress.

?

If I taught English in a kindergarten, I would happily do it for NT$500 per hour. No stress.[/quote]
So what’s your business, if I can ask you?

?

If I taught English in a kindergarten, I would happily do it for NT$500 per hour. No stress.[/quote]

It’s ALL stress at Kindy. They poo in the bin, lick stones, put their clothes on back to front, puke up their lunch with no warning etc. And they can’t colour inside the lines!

?

It’s ALL stress at Kindy. They poo in the bin, lick stones, put their clothes on back to front, puke up their lunch with no warning etc. And they can’t colour inside the lines![/quote]

Really? 500NT? You’re a better person than me. Christ, I need a lot more cash to subjected to that level of boredom. :laughing:

And that’s why I no longer live in Taiwan. I love you, Taiwan, but you are cheap.

I’m not sure if I would teach at a kindy for 1000NT/hr.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.