What would you do if an invasion from China became imminent?

ever wondered why I’m a left winger and hate the CCP?

I think it is obvious you fall into the “China-basher” category. If China surpasses every nation on the planet in the next 100 years, I’m sure you’ll find some other issue to complain to your Chinese bosses about and how great some other nation was.

For all we know, you are just another nut running wild, with all your anti-China or anti-Chinese postings. Nothing noteworthy can be derived on what you profess.

Does anyone seriously believe that Taiwan will actually put up a fight? Any invasion will be over in 5 hours, as all of Taiwan runs up the white flag. If there’s anything that describes Taiwanese society in one word, that word is “cowardice”. Taiwanese are deathly afraid of any sort of confrontation. Their army will not fight, even if their army were trained and capable of fighting (that’s what you get with a forced conscript army; low quality - but hey, “chabuduo”).

But much more likely is a coup. There are enough fifth columnists in the armed forces and legislature who want unification with China; they’ll stage a coup and invite the PLA in for “peacekeeping” and it’ll be all over. That’s the most likely scenario.

In other words, even if China invades, there will be no fighting. No missiles will be launched, because that would be totally unnecessary. So I will sit back and do nothing. If the Taiwanese showed any balls I might consider joining their cause. But I will not fight or sacrifice my life for a people who don’t have the courage or will to fight for themselves.

I think it is obvious you fall into the “China-basher” category. If China surpasses every nation on the planet in the next 100 years, I’m sure you’ll find some other issue to complain to your Chinese bosses about and how great some other nation was.[/quote]

If the moon was made out of green cheese with pink stripes, you would be able to eat it.

China won’t surpass the US over the next century if ever. Too much baggege holding them back. also, using rulers to extend current growth trends in order to predict future growth is something only a dropout from a community college would do.

There are no absolutes in life. I believe the Qing dynasty had the same attitude towards the West right before their downfall.

I only bash the CCP and the KMT, so the rest of the bashing is made up in your minds… or do you think that CCP+KMT=Chinese?

About the China surpassing US, they already did in so many ways… shall we start to enumerate?

I’m sure my Italian bosses won’t be Chinese by then, because no matter how big China is, they will never surpass Italy. You have to create 5M civilization points before your can surpass Italy.

Consider the size of Italy, and see how many World Heritage Sites they have. Consider the size of China, and do the same calculation…
Italy: total size: 301,230 sq km, World Heritage Sites: 41, that means, every 7,347 sq km you have a civilization bonus.
China: total size: 9,596,960 sq km, World Heritage Sites: 35*, that means, every 274,198 sq km you have a civilization bonus…
Portugal: total size: 92,391 sq km, World Heritage Sites: 17, that means, 5,434 sq km you have a civilization bonus…

• China has 2 historical sites that are not/almost not of Chinese culture, being the Historical Center of Macau (Bonus from Portuguese) and the Potala Palace, in Tibet…

Why does everyone assume the Chinese would succeed in an invasion? As far as I can tell, a traditional D-Day type landing would be horribly risky and probably go badly for them–if they can even put together a big enough invasion fleet. A more likely scenario would be for China to “amp up” their threats and actions (missiles? a blockade?) until Taiwan gave in, or until the U.S. and / or Japan (don’t write them out) did something.

Of course, the result would be a beating for the economy, and probably (pending negotiations), greater influence over the island by China. I’d stay for the fireworks (bad time to travel), but quietly arrange new lives for us somewhere else. The Middle East, perhaps…

I think that at least some parts of the Army would retaliate and would probably cause a lot of damage to China. The probability of Kamikaze missions into Chinese soil is extremely high, so China would have to pay the price. In the event of an invasion, China and Taiwan would loose heavily, both in the humanitarian and the economic side. Taiwan is only a rhetoric used by the CCP to keep it’s hang for power, as China was the rhetoric of the KMT.

mr_boogie,

Since everything is now traded on exchanges due to globalization (oil, carbon emissions, solar wafers, etc.), I think you should find some VC (no, not VietCong) to back you in setting up a World Heritage market exchange, where nations like the PRC can use their hard-earned foreign currency (partly from selling lead-tainted products and poisonous toothpaste & pet food) to buy up other countries’ beautiful sites in order to spruce up their brown skies. The PRC will rent huge super-container ships to transports those sites back to the motherland. Gotta hurry though, Olympics start in less than a year, and I’m sure the audience there won’t mind seeing Italian, Spanish, etc. scenery in the background.

As for the PRC taking over the world (from another thread)… well, time will only tell (I’m not betting either way). But, the time did certainly tell what happened to Japan after people thought the same thing in the 1980s. What a great con that was. Sell the Rockefeller Center and half of Hawaii to Japan at the peak of their greatness, and then buy them all back at bargain basement prices when the Japanese banks blew up (By the way, google “CDOs” in the first line and “Bank of China” in the second line. The con in a different manner is just happening to another country, that’s all).

But, I digress…

no point in discussing that, China will not buy any single piece of culture, because it will be cheaper to copy it…

Why go to France, when you can have your own Chinese Tour Eiffel? Mind you, Europeans preffer Biarritz, because there, like Europeans do, they hate French…

Europeans go to Biarritz, a French town, because they hate the French? And Europeans hate the French? I don’t understand…it’s only the 'Murkins who hate the French - in Europe, everyone hates the Germans.