What's a reasonable amount to pay for a date?

I would say the opposite. Depends on the social milieu of the date. Generally, in my single years, I generally found the blue bloods in a variety of countries enjoyed the outdoor pursuits such as camping, gardening, horseback riding, hunting, etc. and the below stairs type of suburbanites are little more materialistic and urban.

1 Like

I’ve been camping and I’ve been wealthy people camping. 2 very different experiences. So it would depend I suppose.

1 Like

includes

• digging your own fire pit
  • prepping your own sleeping quarters
  • getting your own firewood
  • cooking your own food

includes

• your driver parking your super deluxe RV
  • your personal chef cook your food in the kitchen of the RV
  • your servant getting the firewood and building the fire pit for you

:laughing:

Got your spork on huh?

3 Likes

The wealthy people I know spend a lot of money to camp in remote or cool places (eg Kruger Reserve in SA or Pemba Island in Tanzania) but generally like some escapism from the luxuries they may be accustomed to.

Then there is American or Canadian style of consumerism when camping, ie the fancy RV with all the bells and whistles, which can be vulgar…

Reminds me of this poem by Deuce Dropper.
The great poetry showdown has a winner! - Recreation / Fun & Games - Forumosa

I can’t imagine paying more than $2000 NTD will impress anyone. You can get fantastic food with great atmosphere for that or less.

My wife and I go to a new restaurant every weekend. I can’t remember the last time we spent more than $1,500.

Most restaurants have a set meal for two that is good value and very filling.

No, it’s a fancy restaurant that I’ve been dying to go to.

It has a restaurant at Breeze Nanshan of all places.

Overrated. Especially in NYC, with the options they have…

1 Like

Well I will have to try before I judge. I know someone who went recently and she said it was good. The steak looked REALLY good in The Devil Wears Prada.

My wife was very disappointed with the one in Xinyi.

I’ve been to the midtown location twice, and they overcooked the steak both times. W.T.F.? The basics man!

I really like Quality Meats - same owners I think. :wink: But the chef can cook a steak. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I thought going to a restaurant is the norm. My first dates have always been “wanna grab food, let’s go to a restaurant” It’s usually somewhere somewhat tasty but affordable–Japanese or Italian.

As for who pays, I leave that until I see which way the tide is turning. If things are going well and it’s looking like I might get a roll in the hay, I’ll pay. If it’s shit, best get your purse out, love.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

It’s the 2020s, let her pay.

Bonus: you’ll soon find out whether she’s really into you or not.

I haven’t dated in almost twenty years, but I would always pay. I can’t imagine the man not paying, unless she made a thing about paying.

Won’t be many second dates in Taiwan .

1 Like

Fujin Street yes—relaxed, generally quiet (except brunch on weekends), effortlessly cool. The Xinyi branch can get noisy, which would be great I suppose if you have nothing to talk about.

I miss the uber cool Woolloomooloo Out West in Ximen. RIP. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Sort of agree… seems like you could pick a random steakhouse in NYC and it’ll be pretty good. No need to go to a name brand place. Was pretty underwhelmed the one time I was at Smith & Wollensky, but then, it was a large corporate event so could be they were just overwhelmed.

Don’t recall ever having a decent American style steak in Taiwan… though the Japanese BBQ places more the compensate.

1 Like

500 NT$, gotta keep her expectations low.

Yes you CAN supersize your big mac meal, all on me!

You think I’m joking but I’ve never spent more than that and yet I’m married.

1 Like