What's in your Taiwan EDC?

What’s in your Taiwan EDC (every day carry)?

I’ll start:

• Phone with easy card, debit card & cash in case
  • Airpods in a case attached to trousers
  • Laminated copy of ARC (back and front)
  • 6in1 inCharge mini charging cable
  • Disposable surgical mask (looking to upgrade)
  • Small black Casio LA-20WH watch

I am going as lightweight as possible at the moment, and everything in my EDC is used every day, with the exception of the laminated ARC, which is included as foreigners are legally required to carry some form of ID and I like to leave my original ARC at home, so it’s safe.

2 Likes

My ability to feel when a scooter is about to shot out of a blind lane way.

Also phone wallet keys. I keep it stu$id simple.

1 Like

-Purse
-Mobile
-Mask
-Cosmetics
-Water Bottle
-Headphobes
-Battery and cable

1 Like

Legally foreigners are required to carry original passport and ARC at all times. Like many laws it is not enforced though.

2 Likes

IIRC it is one or the other, not both. In practice, I don’t think a police officer would care if you had the original or a copy. All they care about is being able to scan the barcode on the back with their PDA thing so they can check the validity. I’m not comfortable carrying the original everyday and a copy is far better than nothing.

1 Like

Unless you’re really prone to losing stuff, I don’t see the point of making a laminated copy though?

Aren’t lost ARCs trivial to replace with a visit to NIA and a nominal fee of several hundred TWD? I can see why this would be worthwhile for a passport though, which can be expensive and a pain to replace while abroad.

I am prone to losing stuff actually, but another reason is my wife often needs my ARC when getting anything related to our daughter done. For example, our daughter’s bank account, or anything at the household registration office; they usually want to see both parents’ ID cards. I also like having all my important documents at home in a fire proof safe ready to go in case of an emergency.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense, didn’t think of those possibilities. Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

That, a cellphone, a credit card and some cash.

I never carry my APRC, driver’s licenses or passports.

1 Like

What are the laws in Taiwan about carrying a blade?

2 Likes
  • Cellphone
  • Wallet
  • House keys
  • Pocket-sized pack of tissues
  • Medicine (painkillers, anti-histamines, and chewable Pepto Bismol)

My stomach’s really sensitive and unpredictable, so the Pepto Bismol’s really important lol

maybe you shouldn’t eat so many beans

1 Like

Rocket launcher for the red dawn.

2 Likes

Is EDC a thing?

My daily carry is smaller than a backpack lightweight as possible.

• Airpods
  • Phone charger
  • Battery backup
  • Cables short one’s
  • Ereader
  • Swiss army knife
  • Resident card, health card, drivers license, extra cash
  • Gym shirt for unplanned gym stops or bike rides
  • Protein powder one serving
  • Extra connect lens disposable
  • Eye drops
  • Eye glass screwdriver
  • Clippers
  • Umbrella
  • Tissue
  • Couple baggies
  • Plastic bag and extra clip to hook and bag in case pick up groceries or extras

Don’t carry anything that isn’t quick or easy to replace and that isn’t needed immediately on daily basis.

• Credit cards

Edit: I adjusted my EDC years ago when globetrotting.

I like that way of thinking. All that stuff, such as passports are in my go back, at home, in a safe.

I guess it is.

Daggers, swords, throwing knifes, switchblades, concealed blades and blades sharpened on both sides are a no-no. I’m not sure about utility knifes but I’d stick with one that doesn’t lock in place and becomes fixed when opened. Swiss army knifes should be ok.
You shouldn’t be in too much trouble if you don’t wield it around in the MRT and keep it in your bag.

Protip: If you keep your knife in your backpack and almost never take it out, make sure to take it out before taking an airplane, to avoid purchasing another one. This definitely never happened to me though…

1 Like

If it’s not over a certain length and not a switchblade, it’s OK. Switchblade is that thing where you push a button and the blade comes straight out.

Note that in the people’s republic of China carrying any blade without a valid reason is. Illegal.

There’s a pandemic out there and no one has mentioned hand-sanitizer or rubbing alcohol?

There is a pandemic abroad, but no epidemic at home.

I use ethanol when I get to work and arrive home, but don’t carry it with me anymore since no cases here. If we started seeing locally transmitted cases again then I would start carrying it again. I would also buy one of those copper hook things that people have in the States for opening doors, as well as switch to an N95 mask.

On another note, are N95 masks available now?