What's the Biggest Lie People Still Believe?

China forced Taiwan to use the name ‘Chinese Taipei’.

You can thank the KMT for that gem…

2 Likes

Few rational people believe that.

1 Like

Then I guess that means Taiwanese aren’t rational…

Every Taiwanese I know swears that it’s bad for you.

2 Likes

Because their grandmother told them that eating watermelon in the morning is going to give you head cancer. Filial piety.

4 Likes

Not the biggest, but probably the newest lie that people believe is that Biden stole the election from Trump.

2 Likes

That’s only 45% of AmeriKKKans. The rest of the world is laughing.

2 Likes

Taiwan is part of China

11 Likes

In Italy, they also believe air conditioning in the summer can give you a cold. I tried to get someone to explain it to me, no one could come up with a logical answer as to why. I think they realize that but they’ve just believed it for their entire life that it’s true so it’s just true to them.

2 Likes

Koreans think fans left on night will kill you.

9 Likes

It’s because in the old days, drinking cold water (which is often dirty and full of bugs) is bad for you. Boil the water to kill the bugs. Perhaps in the old days cooling the water introduces new bugs.

So they did have basis of truth at the time. It’s also the reason people drank alcohol instead of water, because water was dirty and alcohol killed bugs.

2 Likes

It’s like Taiwanese people running around like headless chickens when there’s a few spots of rain.

Me: Why are you scared of the rain?
Students: Oh, it’s acid rain, teacher! It will make you bald!
Me: Really? How do you know that?
Students: It’s true!
Me: Okay, but how do you know it’s true?
Students: It’s going to make you bald!
Me: Sure, but how do you know that? People in Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines don’t scurry around like rats at the mere hint of a drizzle. They have bad air pollution, but don’t appear to be particularly bald.
Students: Maybe they are different.
Me: How so?
Students: silence
Me: Okay, seriously, how do you know that this mythical “acid rain” is going to cause you to go bald?
Student: My grandfather told me!

Elders are fonts of wisdom. Veritable encyclopedias.

3 Likes

The word itself. LIE

What lies behind the lies.

It’s a lot easier to achieve the American Dream when the parents achieved it first decades ago. Asian American households are the most well-off because they usually moved to America to pursue graduate studies when it was very easy for immigrants to get a decent job with a degree.

That’s not happening if you move to America now as an immigrant. Much, much harder, at very least. All things considered, social mobility in the US is amongst the lowest in the developed world.

2 Likes

I’m young enough where most of them got to the US last decade. It wasn’t that long ago.

STEM and finance majors still pay extremely well, more than before. Data science is huge now. Data is the new gold mine.

It’s not easy. It’s hard. It’s not suppose to be easy.

I thought you said they grew up in the immigrant community.

Yeah. They immigrated around the 2000s like I did.

Well in the 2000s sure, but in the 2010s? I know people who did that in the 2010s and they are not doing that well.

They weren’t doing well in the 2000s either. It’s not some get rich scheme. I never said it’s easy, it’s not. But you can do it.

1 Like

If it’s not easier than in other countries, it’s a lie. Like I said, US social mobility is amongst the lowest in the developed world.

1 Like

It’s just easier to get money in the US. Banks loan to just about anyone regardless of income or whatever. Especially if your FICO is in the 700s. It’s not even that hard. Just have a job, and you can easily get a credit card with over 10,000 limit. Need 2000 dollars to develop an idea? Not hard if you are willing to take some risks.

In Taiwan it ain’t that easy to get loans even if you have a job. Banks investigate you rigorously before even consider giving you a credit card. Need 2000 USD to develop an idea? I hope you got a silver tongue because banks ain’t loaning to you no matter what. So it would have to come from friends.