What's the Biggest Lie People Still Believe?

Pretty much any religion, except Pastafarians perhaps.

6 Likes

This is largely a myth when it comes to entrepreneurship.

Success is more a function of doing the right things, rather than putting in more hours and persisting no matter what.

For example, if you start a business and your unit economics are f-cked, you drastically overestimate your TAM, you sell to the wrong people, etc., no amount of hard work and persistence will help you. You’ll just be spinning your wheels and while that might create the illusion that you’re going somewhere, it will never be where you want to go.

Intelligence, adaptability, good instincts and/or luck beat persistence all the time.

Obviously, you can’t sit on your ass all day and expect success to find you, but again, doing the right things is the driver of success, not just a blind willingness to work hard and work through setbacks.

You don’t have to do this. None of the successful people I’ve ever worked with were successful because they refused to take any time off to relax, restore themselves and enjoy life.

2 Likes

The food pyramid

8 Likes

I think that persistence can (and does) pay off if you’re able to stay afloat long enough to fix your costs or find your market. It’s true that persistence isn’t sufficient; I think it can be a bridge, though, if intelligence, adaptability, and good instincts are all within reach.

For example, I once knew a guy who saved his every spare dime and bought a Dairy Queen franchise. I suspect it failed because of the franchise terms. A few years after his DQ crashed he ended up building a small chain of Mexican restaurants in the same market. I think he succeeded by applying what he’d learned with DQ; he simply refused to give up.

I think you may have to do this in the short term, and possibly more than once. It’s not a recipe, the American Dream, but hard work and persistence are hardly barriers to success.

2 Likes

Brilliant this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an example of intelligence and adaptability. If this guy had refused to give up but hadn’t learned any lessons and continued to do the wrong things, he never would have succeeded.

Many, many entrepreneurs refuse to give up until reality forces them to. A smaller subset prove capable of learning and adapting. The latter are the successful ones.

2 Likes

We catch colds because of cold weather.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to post something about that. Specifically:

• Dietary fat/saturated fat/cholesterol is the underlying cause of heart disease.
  • Anything with no fat in it is healthy (ergo bread, porridge etc is uber-healthy).
  • Eating too many calories will make you fat, so we all have to eat less fat because fat contains calories.

… and a whole bunch of related bollocks, eg., vegans don’t get heart disease or cancer.

All of those have been conclusively shown to be false by experiment, but most people still believe them.

5 Likes

cats are not loyal, and don’t bond with humans.

1 Like

sudden cold lowers your immune system, and as such allows cold virus to gain a foothold, so there are some truths to that, but are not the reason why you get colds.

I haven’t been a wage slave since 1999. Since then every dollar I’ve earned started as an idea in my head. I’m at the point now where I owe nothing and don’t have to work for a living.

I’ve observed a fatal flaw in those who’ve failed at entrepreneurship. They lack a clear instinct for value so they pick poor choices for new goods or services. They inherently know early on their vision is flawed so they lack the unwavering faith/vision necessary to propel them thru the inevitable setbacks and failures. They lament the fact that others don’t have the faith in them necessary to ensure their success but the fact is they lack that faith in themselves and their own ideas.

1 Like

People finally realized that about Tesla, look what happened to the stock.

Biggest lie ever: only do the work you love doing or find your passion and bla bla . If thats true then the world wont be having cleaners and garbage collectors. Its okay to have a boring routine job.

1 Like

The President of the USA actually means something. He’s not a King. Our countries control runs through the banks.

Well you should also understand people are not in poverty because it’s their fault. Lots of people born into poverty and never had the chance to make it, nor will they. To say they don’t deserve things like healthcare is just not good. Someone could invent something completely by accident and he could either make it rich, or he could be like Nikola Tesla and not become super rich. Someone could invent something and 1000 other people already have a patent filed. Alexander Graham Bell became the inventor of the telephone by luck. If he was literally one step too late someone else would have filed the patent, and we would not even know who he is. Not to say everyone else who worked on the idea of telephone didn’t work hard.

Some people go into entrepreneurship because that is the only chance he had to be anything more than a wage slave.

So please do not look down on people who failed. There are lots of factors, most of which are beyond anyone’s control, that can make or break a business or person.

Jesus said there will always be poor people.

1 Like

Weren’t your family millionaires already when immigrating to the US ? :thinking::grin:

2 Likes

The truth is most people are rich cos daddy or granddaddy was already rich. Very obvious in Taiwan.

1 Like

On this point . People ascribing their success mostly to their 'indominatable spirit ’ without attributing their massive fortune to being born in the right place at the right time.

Billions of people are born into extreme poverty worldwide. Just having enough to eat everyday is their success. Being able to go to school and have their own shack to live in and avoid being abused or attacked is an achievement of sorts. Not suffering from a workplace accident, natural disaster , infectious disease or civil war or religious or racial discrimination counts as pretty damn lucky for them .

The Philippines got hit by 21 major typhoons and storms this year and also suffered massively from anti coronavirus measures. Many individuals in poor famillies or in disaster hit areas can hardly survive, the factors are mostly outside of their control.

5 Likes

I’d like you to go through the career of Steve Jobs and DeLorean and tell me does your basic characterisation make any sense ?

Steve Jobs actually failed very badly a few times in his career. He was kicked out of Apple. His server computer business was a bust.
DeLorean succeeded and failed at a tremendous scale. It was his own character traits that drove this (watch the great doc on either HBO or Netflix ).

The truth is. People are complex and the world is complex. Sometimes they make good choices for the market and sometimes they don’t. Sometimes their pockets are deep enough for the tough times and sometimes they aren’t . Sometimes a coronavirus can come along and wipe out your business overnight. It’s very unpredictable .

The truth : Steve Jobs was given the very rare opportunity to make a comeback. He was given a second chance and Apple benefited tremendously from that . Note how the author of the piece doesn’t even mention how unusual it was thst he got such a second chance.

4 Likes

My point isn’t trying to say what works and what not. I’m making a point to say that we have no right to criticize people for being poor, failing, and all that and say it’s all their fault. Rich people who know this are generous because they realize that they were incredibly lucky to be wealthy. In fact in most societies rich people have social obligations to spread the wealth, whether it’s through humanitarian efforts or creating jobs. Not necessarily jobs that are absolutely necessary but jobs to keep people fed and secure. Not doing this leads to social instability.

This is why Jesus said there will always be poor people.

That’s why social programs are necessary and the rich have to pay their fair share.

1 Like