What's the Biggest Lie People Still Believe?

Have you managed to score a lathe yet?

1 Like

You are right about the UK although it varies a bit by industry and also if in public service or not (heavy weighting to the 'public school network and Oxford /Cambridge and yes class and accent ). Ireland and some other European countries aren’t really like that generally . Maybe France to a degree is similar with their elite colleges .
.The US mutinationals also operate in a very elitist manner with ivy league networks, the difference is they are more open to immigrants but you STILL need that top level ivy league degree in most industries.

No. I don’t have the 50,000nt or so needed to get a used one.

So I’ll have to make do using a mill as a lathe, using boring heads or mounting the workpiece into the spindle.

Being in tolerance is a relative term here…

Who is the “Latinx community”? Latinos hate this term.

1 Like

1 Like

Some seem to like it.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a bit mean. But it was a response to some mean generalisations.

Thats pretty inclusive. They are basically saying eat everything except refined sugars.

2 Likes

I wish I could eat like Kelly Rippa or Gwyneth Paltrow.

1 Like

So … what’s stopping you?

There’s a massive dose of woo-woo in all that, and I can’t be doing with that ‘plant-based’ bollocks; my diet is plant-based, but that doesn’t mean I avoid meat like it’s kryptonite. Paltrow’s diet is basically good (and affordable) food though.

Oh, there’s another big lie that people are starting to believe:

“Veganism is the ultimate healthy diet for humans and it’ll save the planet too”.

2 Likes

Aptly describes these types :joy::joy::joy:

Good to see how other people live though. Gwyneth did describe her day well. I’m surprised she’s not a vegetarian.

I suppose when you’ve got a shitload of cash you need to invent random things to spend it on. I can think of worse choices than food.

Here’s another big lie: “I don’t have much money so I have to eat crap food; I don’t have any choice”. Almost anyone (in the West at least) can eat a healthy diet. You don’t need to buy $20 unicorn poo smoothies or “clean turkey burgers” and whatnot. IIRC, Paltrow tried to show how you could feed a family on $50 for a week and she was panned for it in the media. Not because she got it wrong (her food selection was a bit bizarre) but because she had the temerity to even try, and didn’t check her privilege.

5 Likes

:no_no:

2 Likes

It’s true that farm subsidies (for very specific products, like corn and soy) are a huge part of the problem. They make junk food artificially cheap. The obvious solution, of course, is to remove the subsidies. But if you proposed that to the politicians they’d laugh you out of the room. Too many of their friends benefit from those subsidies. A “junk food tax” basically means people are being taxed twice, in order to give more money to the privileged - once to fund the subsidies, and again when they buy the subsidized products.

That doesn’t alter the fact that healthy food is affordable even for people on low incomes. “More expensive” is not the same thing as “out of reach”. If you earn minimum wage (~$1200 a month) you can’t afford Gwyneth Paltrow’s organic avocado toast with fairy dust, and you have to deny yourself certain things - say, the latest iPhone and a premium cable TV subscription - but it can be done. For example, Aldi (Indianopolis, picked at random) are selling pork loin for $4/kg, and veg are around $1-3/kg. Which suggests a pork roast or stew for six people for sub-$10. That’s insanely cheap. It’s only a shade more than the same number of calories from cheap-and-nasty instant ramen ($1 per 800kcal, most of which from carbs).

The other part of the problem is the sheer volume of nutribollocks promoted by dieticians, Kelly Rippa, and videos like the one in the link. Fruit, for example, is not an essential component of a healthy diet - in fact diabetics would be best advised to avoid it. So the examples in the video (apples and strawberries) are meaningless. The choice between donuts and apples is also meaningless (who the hell frames the decision to buy donuts in that way? I certainly don’t). People with no money think they have to follow all those stupid rules, so they just say “eh, whatever” and buy the ramen.

2 Likes

in Taiwan pork is really expensive. At Costco they are a minimum of about 8 US dollars per kg, and that’s for ground pork. Most are way more than this. I hope the influx of racto pork will change this, but where do I buy these racto American pork?

In fact you save nothing cooking at home. So how are restaurants making money?

Small portions.

2 Likes

that’s just wrong.

I find it’s a lot cheaper to eat healthy. Even when buying 7/11 meals I just stick with the ‘Simple Fit’ meals. But if you have the time, buying your own ingredients and cooking is much cheaper than any type of restaurant food. Even in Taiwan.

It takes self-control to eat healthy. Too many people blame their situation on bad genes, not having enough money/time, corporations oppressing them with their ‘addictive’ fast foods … etc.

1 Like

Ultimately its a choice, but some people are gently but firmly prodded into making bad choices by an avalanche of carefully-targeted PR along the lines of “because you’re poor, you’d better buy this cheap shit that we’ve made especially for you. Don’t worry, it has zero cholesterol so it’s really really healthy!”

As I mentioned elsewhere, I participate in a weightloss forum based in the UK, and I’ve noticed that people who don’t have much education are very vulnerable to nutribollocks. They post pictures of disastrously bad meals that they’ve made for themselves, always with titles like “healthy such-and-such”, which they’ve concocted by taking an unhealthy recipe and adding more unhealthy ingredients to it (and/or taking away perfectly innocuous ones). They justify this with a garbled mishmash of pseudoscience that they’ve picked up from Facebook, and feel pleased with themselves. Every so often they post a despairing message asking why they’re not losing weight. It’s sad. Life would be a lot better for those at the bottom if the nutritionists would STFU.

1 Like

Hunger.

She is panned for everything she does. For some reason Goop is the second coming of Satan, more harmful than Monsanto, and Gwyneth Paltrow is an inexcusable bitch for being associated with it. A ton of male celebs have done way worse things and never get called out on. It’s good ol’ sexism.

Because most people buy meat at markets, not supermarkets.

1 Like