What's the Biggest Lie People Still Believe?

Here’s another lie: “if you want to stay slim you have to eat like a gerbil and be permanently hungry”.

If you’re hungry, eat. Stop when you’re full. This doesn’t work if you do it with (say) pot noodles, but it works with real food.

Try this experiment. Get yourself a 10pc bucket of KFC. Just the chicken, not the fries, drink, etc. Give those to someone else if they’re included regardless. Eat it with one of those big bags of mixed salad that you can buy for a pound in Tesco. Eat until you’re full. I bet you can’t finish all 10pcs - you’ll be full at the 4-5pcs mark (maybe 1000kCal), and you will stay full for quite a while. Contrary to popular belief, it isn’t possible to just eat and eat and eat until you explode. Your body has a fairly reliable off-switch.

To do the experiment properly, add some homemade mayonnaise or ranch dressing. Do not, I repeat do not, add ketchup or any condiment from a jar unless you’ve checked the ingredients: low-fat dips/dressings in particular are almost always 30-40% sugar and modified starch.

Some other day, eat the same number of calories in the form of crappy food. Instant noodles, say (1000kCal would be 2-4 packets, depending on exactly what you buy). I’m pretty certain you’ll feel hungry again within 2 hours, and you’ll want to eat donuts.

I checked the prices at the market. Apart from the prices having zero transparancy, it’s maybe about the same as Costco or a little higher. Basically pork prices is always around 300 per kg, with very little deviation.

Vegetables can go from almost free to more expensive than gold. Right now garlic is almost as expensive as pork.

Technically garlic is a vegetable, but I don’t think that’s what people mean when they talk about eating more vegetables.

I’m just saying food prices here seems a bit weird and so how is restaurants making money?

Stop thinking about it.

1 Like

You’ve lived in Italy for a while and you never encountered the older generation’s ‘Domani’ attitide?

In 2018, 157 000 people left Italy to live abroad (+1.2% from 2017), 117 000 of them were Italians (+1.9%) bringing the total number of Italian expats throughout the course of the last decade to rise to 816 000.

The main destination of these flows was the UK, which in 2018 welcomed 21,000 Italians, followed by Germany (18,000), France (about 14,000), Switzerland (almost 10,000) and Spain (7,000). These five countries represented 60% of total Italian expat destinations, while the main extra-european destinations were Brazil, the United States, Australia and Canada.

So they would would kill to live in the US but only about 10-20,000 a year move there?

1 Like

This makes me want to go there!

https://ambuji.myshopify.com/blogs/our-blog/17936091-my-italian-domani-attitude

1 Like

No it’s not. It’s a lot cheaper. 300 per kg is ridiculous.

1 Like

I really don’t like salad. If I did I probably would eat salad all the time but I can’t stand it, unless it’s potato salad or pasta salad, which beats the purpose.

@Andrew0409 is in the UK now. Haven’t you been following him? :wink:

1 Like

That’s crazy. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like salad. What about veggies and dip? Are there any dressings you like?

:face_vomiting:
It’ss not that bad… The pasta is usually overcooked and potato salad is mostly mushy potatoes and mayo

1 Like

Tell me where to find it because I can’t find it for anything less than 230 per kg. Whether it’s Costco or traditional markets.

In fact going rate for Boston pork but at the market is 190 to 200 per jin. That’s 600 grams so it translates to about 250 to 300 per kg.

I cannot find anything less than that

That cut is way more here than in the US. I’m sure you know that. It’s a garbage cut in the US but people love it here. I think it’s due to the high fat content. Look for a lean cut like loin that’s not popular here. Also, 230$ per kg is really cheap.
If you really want to save money go for offal. Pigs hearts are super cheap.

Offal is iffy because they are eaten here too.

Pork bellies are a little cheaper but very high fat. But it still tastes good

1 Like

I don’t really like vegetables in general.

2 Likes

Or just go for tofu. It’s much cheaper

Veganism is old news. People already see through the BS on this one. It is technically possible and healthy for a certain section of umans and those that decide to become psuedo experts on it.

But the idea all people are equal and our bodies need to eat the same is pretty quaint.

The moral reasons for veganism, however, are rock solid!

Frankly this doesn’t augur well for you future. If you don’t like vegetables then by default you must be subsisting on stodge, and the problem with that is that eating stodge makes you want to eat more and more stodge. You can get away with it in your 20s, but by your 40s you’ll find yourself either (a) ballooning into the typical Western apple-shaped male or (b) developing diabetes. Or both. It’s not “lack of vegetables” as such, just the fact that you’re eating too much of things you don’t really need.

I would make a conscious effort to adjust your tastes. This is far easier than you think. The assertion that “you don’t like vegetables” is just daft. There are many different types of vegetables with different tastes. I can understand people not liking, say, cabbage specifically, or artichokes, or olives. But to say you dislike all vegetables suggests a more serious problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they don’t, and it’s gaining momentum (at least in Europe). Sure it’s possible to stay more-or-less healthy if you’re vegan, as long as you take your B12 pills, but it’s at the extreme edge of human tolerance. Vegans die at the same rate as everyone else, of very similar diseases.

I’ll agree with you there. The EatWell plate, the USDA plate, and similar, are all based on the idea that there’s some uniquely ideal diet that’s optimal for all humans. This is stupid. We’re omnivores. We have a very wide range of possible diets, and we have functioning appetites that tell us what to eat and how much. The only diet that fucks us up is the very-low-fat, very-high-carb diet promoted by nutritionists (which, unfortunately, aligns very closely with the junk food model that makes the most money for agribusiness).

Not really. Vegans are responsible for as many animal deaths as carnivores. They’re just different deaths. Veganism is also very inefficient in terms of land use, and I frankly don’t see how a vegan planet (which is what the talking heads want) could exist without more pesticides, more fertilizers, and more environmental desecration. Animals have a vital part to play. If you try to eliminate them - because you don’t like the fact that animals die - bad stuff happens.