What's the going rate for hongbao (紅包 / red envelopes) for weddings now in Taiwan?

Bump, over a decade later!

So, what’s the expected amount for a red envelope / hongbao / 紅包 (multiple terms added to help with search) as of 2020? Two of us are attending the wedding.

Details that may or may not be relevant: bride is ex-coworker of my wife; the restaurant is I assume a typical wedding hall place, out in Danshui area; my wife and I are both going. I believe I’ve met the bride once for 10-20 seconds, and I’ve never met the groom.

It looks like we gave 3,600 at the wedding we most recently attended, but that was for cousins around four years ago. Not sure if the same amount would apply given a) time, and b) lack of family ties.

And is there a massive cultural confusion going on where inflation “should” have couples giving around 4,000, but 4 is bad luck, and no one wants to make the big leap to 5,000?

I will of course ask my wife as well, but I fear she’s getting a bit locked in time, sort of like my father who still insists that “I tipped 10% in the 1960s, and that amount is still generous now!”

From Thoughtco:

If you go to a wedding, the money in the red envelope should be equivalent to a nice gift that would be given at a Western wedding. Or, it should be enough money to cover the guest’s expense at the wedding. For example, if the wedding dinner costs the newlyweds US$35 per person, then the money in the envelope should be at least US$35. In Taiwan, typical amounts of money are NT$1,200, NT$1,600, NT$2,200, NT$2,600, NT$3,200, and NT$3,600.

I think this is a good reference.
Better way would be checking the place were the wedding will be held and how much would it be for one person. Multiply that by two, check which “lucky number” is closer to that and there you have it!

1 Like

For quick reference:

2 Likes