What's the weirdest part of Taiwan? Why is it weird?

Interesting, I’ve only been to the one by the coast. Which is the real one?

I think the small one by the coast marks where the ship landed, and the bigger one was built later.

2 Likes

The small, old, funky 18 Lords Temple was torn down several years ago and replaced by a bigger temple. The other 18 Lords Temple, with the giant dog statue, is a quick drive away, past the nuke plant and up into the hills.

2 Likes

Whoa, didn’t know that. I’ve only been to the hillside one recently.

If you could recall you’d understand just why it was so creepy.

Fair enough. It’s subjective and I’m a miserable bugger. Enjoy the HSR buzzing past.

Perfect description . Another could be ‘Hicks and Geeks Driving Oversized Cars Chewing Binglang and Drinking Coffee’. Although Hsinchu country is quite scenic.

Weirdest part. Hmmm, I have seen a hell of a lot of weird shit all over the island. There’s a lack of hippies to point out and scream 'long haired weirdos ’ though.

I think one very weird area is that strip of decaying and sinking coastal villages from Tainan going up to Yunlin. It’s fascinating and depressing at the same time. Literally the land and people that time forgot.

1 Like

All these years I never knew they had another temple, going to check it out next time in the area.

The Southern Taiwan National Palace Museum is weird , huge and surrounded by not much at all. The Taidong Aboriginal museum same and even more isolated . Then you’ve got the museum in Bali wedged beside the sewage plant. Then there’s the Hakka museum firmly wedged in the middle of a new industrial park on a hill in Miaoli. Nothing beats the Taiwan alien museum in Taichung though.

Uh. Wut?! :popcorn:

A lot of South Africans in Hsinchu. That could be a bit of a surprise.

Yup, hounds are meant for hunting and tracking so they bay. Great dogs though luv em all.

1 Like

I don’t like Jiu Fen that much for some reason. It could be a lot nicer. Maybe the massive graveyard close to it?

I don’t like Wan Hua because its so old taiwan gangster land.

Well in the old days i hear some single men were “forced” to go into the whore houses in wanhua. Don’t know if they were THAT much forced.
But once my honky friend and i were literally forced into a barbershop late at night for an hour massage. The bouncer was not going to take no for an answer. Anyways, an hours massage ain’t hurt nobody, especially when the price was not bad…And it was one of those “not totally legit barbershops” I know what you are saying Hsimenting ? no way ! "

2 Likes

Did you see or the slave girls there in the caged rooms? That area is all shuttered up now. It was a disturbing place then. They had a chained up oranutang and had a weird performance of mongoose versus cobra. About 1988. Tame now.compared to then.

Yup

1 Like

Yeah, someone else remembers , people think I make this stuff up. Video cameras were of a huge size then and no mobile phones. If a video.was pulled out it would be smashed as would the operator if he fought back. A pity I cannot download the pics from my.brain. Such crazy stuff back then.

1 Like

I think those closed a long time ago. Tainan had a couple branches as well. I have no idea how that got as far as it did.

Don’t try to take an actual dump there, but i hear good things bout the place and that the food is quite good…not sure if you get the urge to take a dump soon after though.

1 Like

Surprised they picked Hsinchu? Maybe its a herd thing. Like here in the bay area we have a lot of Indians in Fremont, a lot of phillippinos in Serramonte. Word of mouth back in the home country i guess.

Maybe five South Africans went to Hsinchu (not all at once ) and suddenly its the place to go by word of mouth?

Hsinchu is so dry (i mean BORING) and seemingly humorless. I can’t see a single positive.

Even the girls dont smile much there.