What's with All the Bomb Threats Lately?

The way I see it, they will tend to see the good and the bad of both models. Because both systems have pros and cons. It they never experience it first hand, it’s more difficult for them to have a more realistic understanding of it.

Horrible. Thank God the people I know are mostly functionally dysfunctional people, and not just plain crazy :smiley:

1 Like

The vast majority of them won’t have a more realistic understanding of it even if they experience it first hand. Indoctrination in the 21st century is sophisticated and ubiquitous.

I really don’t know how you came up to this conclusion.

If you read online discussions by Chinese people you’d come up with the same conclusion.

So you are not Taiwanese then?

Chinese people who have studied or lived for several years in Taiwan? really? what do they say?

He gave up with nationality or something. Or he just got Taiwanese citizenship. It’s all explained in Moronosa.

He is an immigrant.

I love how it basically doesn’t exist at my university here

We take mental health seriously, though. Which is good, don’t want people emailing in fake bomb threats!

2 Likes

I find the irony of the conclusion to be downright delectable

Not necessarily in Taiwan. There are a lot of those studying in the West and their way of thinking never changes.

It’s not just Chinese people either. It’s the same with Turks and Russians. Overseas Turks in Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands overwhelmingly vote Erdogan, and overseas Russians support the invasion of Ukraine. These are all facts. And many of those people have lived in a democracy for decades.

Yeah, I mean, there are people whose prejudices are immune to common sense and facts…

1 Like

The ones with family still in China, much like dissenters inside China, don’t say much of anything.

I’m sure they exist, just not in your circles. I know that at some college and high school campuses kids have started using terms like “biologically male/female” etc.

Lots of people don’t change (much) their minds? sure.

Lost of people study or live abroad, and some of them don’t change (much) their minds? sure.

But what normally happens to people experiencing things first hand is to:

1. have, to some degree, a selective appreciation and interpretation of reality. Confirmation bias
  2. have, to some degree, realisations and new insights on things they thought differently before

Oh, there are the occasional individuals, but compared to a Canadian university it basically does not exist.

Canada, USA and UK should be bombed out of this planet.

:smiley:

If they do, then they are hiding. I have a sibling who has been trying hard to find such a community in KH to be a part of, with no success. They’ve come to the conclusion that all the woke people are in Taipei because they wouldn’t be able to stand living in Kaohsiung.

Which is a pity.

Except that doesn’t apply to Russian/Turkish/Chinese immigrants.

I’m not familiar with KH but they can try volunteer work at LGBTQ+ groups or something.