What's with All the Bomb Threats Lately?

The survey of 1,824 people found mixed public attitudes, with 55 per cent in favour of “launching a unification war to take back Taiwan entirely”, with a third opposing it and the remainder saying they were unsure.

Apart from the 55 per cent supporting a full-scale war, just 1 per cent favoured the most extreme option of not trying other options first.

So a third oppose it, some are unsure, and the vast majority (99%) don’t see that as the first option.

I actually thought the numbers would be higher. But keep up with your intolerance, hostility, and identity politics, and maybe you’ll be able to manage that. I guess it’s fortunate that more aren’t like you. :man_shrugging:

19 posts were split to a new topic: From threats

So did she order the courts to make that judgment is that what you are claiming?

No. When a court case is won, credit goes to the convincing lawyer who provided good arguments.

You can think of Tsai’s administration as the convincing lawyer who won the court case.

Just as administrations in other countries go to the courts with judicial issues to address.
Are you claiming that Same Sex marriage being legalized by the courts is wrong?

There is nothing wrong to say you do not agree with the courts decision if that is your belief.

No, I never said anything about right or wrong.

I’m claiming that same sex marriage was legalized because of smart people in Tsai’s administration, and not because Taiwanese people are liberal as you claimed.

Anyone who has lived in Taiwan for more than a few months can tell you this isn’t a liberal country.

1 Like

Not true at all. The supreme court justices are mostly liberal, that’s why the case was won.

The image is more important.

Judges don’t “win” cases. Lawyers do.

A judge can’t just issue a judgement based on nothing, if no good convincing legal argument was brought before them by the lawyer.

Did I say the case was won by the judges?

In 2017 the grand justices were not court judges. They issued a “judicial interpretation” that ruled the civil code unconstitutional. It was entirely up to the justices. The body was reformed into a court in like 2020.

The only argument you can make is that Tsai nominated liberal justices in 2016. It was a matter of time that same sex marriage would be legalised after the nominations were made.

It’s also really common to legalise same sex marriage via liberal grand justices. It was legalised federally in the US with the same playbook (though the difference is that the US is a common law system, so SSM was legal immediately after the judgement was rendered). Austria and South Africa also legalised it the same way.

I seriously thought this thread would be about the US threatening to blow up TSMC in case of an attack by China. I’m surprised this news is not being discussed on this forum or maybe I’ve missed it.

1 Like

Are you sure? I seem to remember reading about a few referendums.

Someone shared the story on another thread. Not much to talk about because “the US” made no such threat

I’ve only lived here around 415 months.

2 Likes

Quoting from the article:

Moulton said that “one of the interesting ideas that’s floated out there for deterrence is just making it very clear to the Chinese, that if you invade Taiwan, we’re gonna blow up TSMC.”

“I just throw that out, not because that’s necessarily the best strategy, but because it’s an example,” he said, adding that “Taiwanese really don’t like this idea, right?”

IMHO, just publicly bringing up this “idea” or scenario as one that’s being discussed among US government officials makes this a thinly veiled threat at Taiwan. But I can see that this is not a popular view here, same reason why there is little interest in openly discussing Nord Stream 2 in Germany.

the old farts for sure are not, younger generations are quite frankly just on the line of “let them be and let us be”, as it should be.

TW is very liberal in the East Asian scenario, less so if compared to some Western countries (not Italy for sure, we still very are in the Middle Age for many things until the church has a strong grip on the older folks). So TW is liberal overall at the end.

2 Likes

yet another incorrect statement provided by you. There is no extradition agreement between any part of China (mainland, HK and MO) and TW. The very extradition bill protest ignited the anti-government movement and the final crackdown in HK just to allow the extradition of a HK guy who killed his gf while on a trip in TW.

There’s a whole thread for that

You’re entitled to your opinion, but elected US politicians aren’t CCP functionaries. They don’t have to toe a one party line at think tanks. Many of them are not well informed and speak before they think if they think at all. Democracy.

It is less popular than your nord stream view because it is less rational

I’m sorry if I’m wrong, but what about the gunman who fled to china who got extradited back, or is it just out of the kindness of their heart?

can u be more specific?