What's your favorite 80's music?

What about Falco? Anyone remembers?
Alpavhille?
Prince?
Is Milla Vanilla belongs to 80’s? Late 80’s perhaps?

Can’t touch this MC Hammer It’s Hammertime!
Run DMC You Talk Too Much Homeboy You Never Shut! Up!
The New Edition You’ve Got to Cool It Down Watch Out You’re Gonna Lose Control
LL Cool J Nobody Can Rap Quite Like I Can I Take a Musclebound Man Put His Face In The Sand
The Fat Boys
The Beastie Boys She’s Crafty She Gets Around
Billy Ocean Carribean Queen
Billy Idol It’s a Nice Day to Start Again

…word up yall.

The one and only - Shakin’ Stevens!!! :notworthy:

Flipper
Dead Kennedys
BGK
Terveet Kadet
Minor Threat
Bauhaus
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Crass
Scratch Acid
DOA
Circle Jerks
Buzzcocks
Minutemen
Dinosaur Jr.
The Judys
Pixies
Yo La Tengo
Camper Van Beethoven
King Missile
Devo
The Vapors
The Undertones

[quote=“Erica1973”]What about Falco? Anyone remembers?[/quote]Died in a car crash in 1998

[quote]Is Milla Vanilla belongs to 80’s? Late 80’s perhaps?[/quote]One of them died after an alcohol and pills overdose also in 1998. After the the revelation that they didn’t sing on any of the records, both the “Real Milli Vanilla”(a bunch of fat blokes) and the 2 models (with their own voices) both had a go at releasing songs, but niether had any success

[quote=“RachelK”]Cocteau Twins, my favorite band of all time. They stopped making music together in the mid-90’s, but they really flourished in the 80’s.

On another note: Erhu, where were you when I was still in Taiwan? Us Cocteau Twins fans need to stick together. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hiya Rachel,
Yes, it’s really rare to meet a Cocteau Twins fan! Too bad they split, but I hear Elizabeth Fraser is currently working on a solo album. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. :slight_smile:

Oh and Richard, the Cocteau Twins aren’t really twins either.

Falco was great. “Dadideldum, der Kommisar geht um …” :bouncy:

If its even close to as good as her singing on Tim Buckley’s “Song to the Siren” with This Mortal Coil … damn, that song chokes me up every time.
Strange, I always thought for some reason that the Cocteaus were from Oz. Wasn’t until recently I discovered they’re from Grangemouth (ugh!), 15 miles away from where I was brought up.

You guys had a talk aboput 80s music when I wasn’t looking?

I reckon the 80s is the most underrated and over looked musical decade of the lot of them. Far far superior to that overhyped boring decade of pretention and ego-mania know as the 60s.

Damn, it would be hard to list all my fave 80s music, but back when I was an 80s DJ, the bands with Best of CDs chocka full of good dance hits guaranteed to get them stomping on the dancefloor were

The Pet Shop Boys,
Blondie,
and Wham.

Personal fave include stuff like

‘This is the Day’, by The The (a very hard band to serach for online),
‘Real Gone Kid’, by Deacon Blue
‘Sowing the Seeds of Love’ by Tears for Fears
‘Pump up the Volume’ by MARRS
‘Kids in America’ by Kim Wilde

and many many more (fuck it, I’ve just thought of way too many to be bothered typing them all).

Brian

Bu Lai En :

Sure you’re late, but still welcome!

[quote=“Alleycat”]Sorry: One more

THE SMITHS
[/quote]

When I come to your place o bizness, will you play the smiths? PLEASE!!! That’s one of the few bands that continue to keep me amused, no matter how much time goes by! :notworthy:

[quote=“yangdemei”][quote=“Alleycat”]Sorry: One more

THE SMITHS
[/quote]

When I come to your place o bizness, will you play the smiths? PLEASE!!! That’s one of the few bands that continue to keep me amused, no matter how much time goes by! :notworthy:[/quote]I don’t think Alleycat would like it if people kept killing themselves in there.

The Tavern have The Smiths Best of… CD in book number 1 :notworthy:
I often sneek it on when nobody’s watching! :slight_smile: :wink:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
I reckon the 80s is the most underrated and over looked musical decade of the lot of them. Far far superior to that overhyped boring decade of pretention and ego-mania know as the 60s.[/quote]

:laughing: I feel totally the opposite. Right before I left the SF Bay Area, a lot of the stations have switched over to an 80s format. Not yet “oldies” per se, but the implication was there. I couldn’t believe how much lousy music the 80s had!

Of course most of the bands listed here I agree with but they happened to be mostly “alternative” bands and not “top 40”. Maybe that’s the difference.

I’ll throw in The Alan Parson’s Project as another fav.

I’d like to think that 80’s music is a part of our youth life…most of us had been through that before. Personally I don’t think 80’s music is LOUSY, but most recent pop music is. Started from the end of the 90’s. Most are garbages.

yeah, the days of my youth. I was pretty stupid and an asshole in my youth :smiley:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“yangdemei”][quote=“Alleycat”]Sorry: One more

THE SMITHS
[/quote]

When I come to your place o bizness, will you play the smiths? PLEASE!!! That’s one of the few bands that continue to keep me amused, no matter how much time goes by! :notworthy:[/quote]I don’t think Alleycat would like it if people kept killing themselves in there.[/quote]

Now now Fluffy, it’s all in the attitude! With lyrics like “I wear black on the outside cuz black is how I feel on the inside” how can you not just laugh! :laughing:

And Falco is alive and well on Taiwanese radio! I heard “Rock me Amadeus” in Family Mart yesterday. :smiley:

Depeche Mode. The Cure. The Smiths.

New Wave music in general.

before putting a list together -

just about anything on 4AD. yeah I wore black and I still do.

The '80s were a curious decade. Everything mainstream pretty much sucked. The crap on the radio was by far the worst crap any decade has thrown on the Top 40 - hair metal and synth pop with drum machines. '80s music has dated horribly in a way that '70s and '60s music hasn’t - all those tacky boom-boom drums, garish synthesizers, tight leather pants and big hair. Drum machines - those were the worst. They sounded horrible. It took forever to some people to figure this out - just use a real drummer! Programmed beats make music sound like a video game soundtrack.

On the other hand, underground/alternative music was never stronger. All of the good music in the '80s was left of the mainstream. You had to seek it out. You hear music in the '90s and '00s and 90% of it sounds like a rehash of the kind of indie rock the likes of Husker Du and R.E.M. did 20 years ago (!) and better.