What's your favourite British restaurant in Taipei/New Taipei?

I just can’t get over that it looks exactly like a biscuit but isn’t a biscuit.

It just makes me want a biscuit sandwich or biscuits with gravy. Proper American southern food.

2 Likes

They don’t all look like they though some have a strong similarity. You can get ‘rock scones’ too, hard baked on the outside for instance. Also there are sweet, salty, raisins…Whatever you like.
I like the British pastries and desserts the most of their cuisine Not Gregg’s although I’ve been known to have a sausage roll from time to time.

1 Like

How about crumpets? Those are pretty good.

My family were kinda poor, but mum used to save the pennies. Once a year, we would go on an excursion to Tsitsikamma. The biggest highlight was stopping at Storm’s River at around 7 a.m. for a breakfast of tea and scones. Butter, cream and jam. Fond memories.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=britshake&oq=britshake&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i175i199l2j0i30l2.3145j1j7&client=ms-android-sonymobile-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLRT9c3NKxINjIvLLd8xOjJLfDyxz1hKYdJa05eY7Ti4grOyC93zSvJLKkU0uFig7KUuASkUDRqMEjxcaGI8Oxi4vPJT07MCcjPDMjIL8kvXsQqkFSUWVKckZidqlAAFgIAmYge-oAAAAA

1 Like

Looks good! I saw online there is one in Xinyi, but it looks more like a mall food stand from the pictures and can’t find any more info about it.

The thing about cuisine from your home country, it’s hard to replicate without the real ingredients. Locals won’t notice but I do.
I’m biased but Irish cuisine has an edge on the average food you get in the UK in a pub or cafe etc (even though it’s really quite similar ) that’s because we have less frozen food and chains in Ireland . It goes back to the basic food quality at the end of the day.

I guess this doesn’t answer what is your favourite British restaurant in Taipei…I don’t know if you could call any restaurant in Taipei 'British ’ ? Similar across any cuisine.

But brass monkey was doing very good British food when Bob Marhall was running the kitchen/take out there.

3 Likes

What’s good Irish food I should try?

Go to Ireland and eat it there is always the best .
Freshness is key.
Traditionally its brown bread, milk, cheese , fresh cream , ham, bacon,beef , fish , eggs, black and white pudding , Irish lamb stew, apple pies, rhubarb pies. Similar to British food of course but the difference is Ireland is more agricultural and less frozen food, fresher cos it’s grown there. But of course you can get very very good British foodstuffs like the cheese and some of the local beef etc. You just have to pay more for it.

Things like fish and chips are a test case for a good British place. If they are using frozen fish it’s just not going to taste very good to me unfortunately.

5 Likes

I make the best cheese scones, problem now Costco no longer sell traditional British cheddar cheese! I also add some Parmigiano-Reggiano.

3 Likes

My attempt at one yesterday in Taipei

3 Likes

The mushrooms and the sausages and the eggs need some work.
Don’t even get started on the tomatoes !
Beer for breakfast ?

:grin:

1 Like

From the britshake place above

British ?!?
:thinking:

I would not be happy paying for that.

Silly, yeah. I go for Scotch,

1 Like

Yeah Gregg’s is good but very greasy. It’s been sadly very politicised the last couple of years, but there is something homely about going into a Gregg’s and getting a lunch (especially up north, Sheffield or higher), as long as you have a shower freely available afterwards.

1 Like

Colcannon, champ, white pudding, shepherd’s pie, and coddie.

1 Like

Agreed, This is also a hot topic in the UK lol - everyone will tell you that they know a really fantastic chippy, and it’s usually their local which is in somewhere like Coventry or Leicester which hasn’t seen a fresh fish since the last Ice Age. Good hospitals in those places, for subsequent removal of gall bladder.

Anyway, yeah you need a proper chippy. Anstruther in Scotland was very good about a decade ago, hopefully still going strong.

I don’t know about the UK but in Ireland the chippers (that’s what we call them) are mostly run by Italian immigrants. They use a specific type of potato which they prepare fresh on the premises. Not frozen.
But yeah you only really get fresh fish near the harbours.

1 Like

I like tomatoes blackened. Beer for breakfast? Why not they did in the Middle Ages, however was actually 1pm.
Eggs where were better than they looked, agreed that not my best bit of cooking in a wok.

1 Like

Ketchup is a non-Newtonian fluid, meaning that its viscosity changes under stress and is not constant. It is a shear thinning fluid which means its viscosity decreases with increased shear stress.[45] The equation used to designate a Non-Newtonian fluid is as follows: {\displaystyle \eta =\tau /{\dot {y}}}{isplaystyle ta =au /{ot {y}}}. This equation represents apparent viscosity where apparent viscosity is the shear stress divided by shear rate. Viscosity is dependent on stress. This is apparent when you shake a bottle of tomato sauce/ketchup so it becomes liquid enough to squirt out. Its viscosity decreased with stress.[46]

1 Like