What's your favourite British restaurant in Taipei/New Taipei?

A really important point with all of these dishes discussed above is that they need to be served wrapped in newspaper, but not any newspaper, it needs to be the DFS sofa on sale 0% Finance for 4 years advert page. And the paper needs to be transparent from all the grease.

That’s just reminded me I need to renew my donation subscription to the British Heart Foundation…

As far as I know, hush puppies are a type of shoe.

Do you mean slush puppies? The flavoured dessicated ice drink?

Makes me think of Mr freeze.

1 Like

Odd way to spell funny face

What?

Oh nah that’s just the identical thing we had here except they were called funny faces

1 Like

Ok now I understand :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can’t beat a Cornetto, or a salted caramel Magnum. Perhaps even a Twister, practice that tongue flexibility.

Why do we have the best ice creams, but the worst weather?

2 Likes

Had to look this one up. Interesting

They did have until they changed the chef. Last time I went they were selling a lame pasta lunch special.

1 Like

It was a fish sauce. The tomatoes were only added when it got to the US. Ketchup is a Cantonese term.

4 Likes

Actually it’s Hakka I think . Maybe.

British ‘cuisine’ isn’t just one type.
Just like anywhere you have the good with the bad.
You had what the aristocrats ate, the working man, the middle class, the farmers etc.

I like tradtiional British working /farmer fare…Yorkshire pudding, steak and kidney , shepherds pie, Sunday roast , all that. A bit heavy so you wouldn’t be eating it everyday unless working down a mine or something. The upper classes would be eating all kinds of fancy stuff the lower classes never saw.

But what people actually eat in the UK now is something different. They have some great tradtional food markets, cafes, bakeries all over the UK and also their supermarkets have a lot of good fresh produce because a lot of people cook at home still.

My main criticism of UK food are there are too many chains , especially and most disappointingly involved with pubs and pub /carvery food.

:+1:

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.[7][8] By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian-Malay word for the sauce was kicap or kecap (pronounced [kɛt͡ʃap]). That word evolved into the English word “ketchup”.[9]

4 Likes

Kecap Inggris = English Ketchup = Worcestershire Sauce

1 Like

FIFY

IME full Irish breakfasts just edge full English breakfasts. The white pudding makes the difference and the sausages are better.

2 Likes

Do you mean this?
Kecap Manis = Sweet Ketchup

I’m not a big fan of some of the British food I’ve tried. I like Scotch Eggs, English breakfast, sausage rolls and Yorkshire pudding with gravy.

Not a fan of the pies. And I hate scones the most. Scones don’t make sense to me. They look like what we call biscuits in America but they’re not.

:bowing:

1 Like

There’s all kinds of scones, maybe you haven’t found the one you like yet. It helps if you like butter, cream, jam and tea.