When the site goes down

It occurred to me that when Forumosa.com goes down, the blog will probably still be up as it hosted with a different company.

In this case, I will post updates here: forumosa.org/category/about/

I don’t know what that glitch just was :unamused:

So is that why the site is inaccessible from about 11 UT on the 13th?

Whatever it is, I think its still around. The server speed is very sloooooow sometimes. At times I even got the cannot find server blank page. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed intermittent slowness or inability to access forumosa.com today. However, when doing a traceroute it shows that the problem is a flaky network link between Narita, Japan and San Jose, CA, US. That kind of outage is beyond the control of Forumosa or its hosting company. This is different from last night when the web server wasn’t answering connections.

Actually the host company got back to me today and it was at there end during this time.

Thanks for the info jclick.

Very slow today; I waited over ten minutes for pages to open, and finally decided 'mosa must be down. Now it’s up and only slightly sluggish.

I’m getting really slow access to Forumosa since last night. It is taking about 2 minutes to load each page (131 seconds for this page to come up). It doesn’t seem to be the network connection as I can ping forumosa.com with ~200ms response, other web sites are still fast, and using a proxy doesn’t change anything. Anyone else?

I’m getting really slow access to Forumosa since last night. It is taking about 2 minutes to load each page (131 seconds for this page to come up). It doesn’t seem to be the network connection as I can ping forumosa.com with ~200ms response, other web sites are still fast, and using a proxy doesn’t change anything. Anyone else?

very very slow. I went to Forumosa.org, which by the way looks like it hasn’t been updated since 11 nov 06, and tried to come in sideways thru there - no dice. Tried the same thing thru Taiwanese and Taiwanted and also no way jose’.
Finally Forumosa.com opened after about 20 minutes.
It seems like everyday after 1400 hrs this place hits a wall.

Couldn’t get in since 10am until now, and it’s painfully slow.

[quote=“jlick”]I’m getting really slow access to Forumosa since last night. It is taking about 2 minutes to load each page (131 seconds for this page to come up). It doesn’t seem to be the network connection as I can ping forumosa.com with ~200ms response, other web sites are still fast, and using a proxy doesn’t change anything. Anyone else?[/quote]See this thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=680598
I think it’s a problem with the server that Forumosa’s on. In addition to the extremely slow page loading, I’m also getting the occasional PHP error message saying that the database can’t be accessed.

[quote=“jlick”]I’m getting really slow access to Forumosa since last night. It is taking about 2 minutes to load each page (131 seconds for this page to come up). It doesn’t seem to be the network connection as I can ping forumosa.com with ~200ms response, other web sites are still fast, and using a proxy doesn’t change anything. Anyone else?[/quote]See this thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=680598
I think it’s a problem with the server that Forumosa’s on. In addition to the extremely slow page loading, I’m also getting the occasional PHP error message saying that the database can’t be accessed.

[quote=“Malc”]It occurred to me that when Forumosa.com goes down, the blog will probably still be up as it hosted with a different company.

[/quote]

I’ve been checking for the past two days, but no updates.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Malc”]It occurred to me that when Forumosa.com goes down, the blog will probably still be up as it hosted with a different company.

[/quote]

I’ve been checking for the past two days, but no updates.[/quote]Update posted today:[quote=“http://www.forumosa.org/2007/01/24/website-slow-down/”]Website Slow Down

For the past 2 weeks, our server has become progressively slower. We have been checking what could be causing this - and re-booting our server periodically, which seems to have helped temporarily.

We are pretty sure we have isolated the problem - its related to the settings of the banner ad software package that we are using. It seems to have reached a critical mass.

A reason for this has been the strong level of interest our Taiwanease magazine and Taiwanted classified ads website have been generating - driving even more traffic to the Forums and hence more data for the ad software to deal with. Taiwanease is now 10 issues strong and more writers and distribution points are approaching us. Meanwhile, Taiwanted has grown over 120% in the 3 months after we integrated the ads on the forums. There are now over 500 ads listed on any given day, and we expect this to grow even more soon.

We have been planning a banner software upgrade/maintenance for some time now. Unfortunately, the problems we expected are worse than we feared.

So, we are back tracking to bring performance levels up - so you can read the forums and classified ads, while we work out a solution. This means we remove the banner ads for a few days, and check with our server host about what we can do to increase our CPU capacity.[/quote]
Still very slow for me and I’m still getting critical error messages, despite the removal of the banner ads.

Same here. Dog slow. Good luck, Malc! Thanks as always for your efforts! :slight_smile:

Don’t feel rushed to fix things. I’ve been getting a ton of stuff done this week. :slight_smile:

Can we get credits to our post count?

Things seem to have sped up now.

[quote=“Chris”]Things seem to have sped up now.[/quote]They’ve sped up a little for me. But the site’s still frustratingly slow. Anyway, it’s nice to know that the admins are on the case and trying their best to fix things.

I wonder whether there’s any chance of going back to a barebones installation of the forum software. The site seems to run really smoothly when that’s done. I realise that’s quite a drastic step, though, and may not be necessary.

Thanks for the support guys. We are working hard to try and get things back to normal and Gus has updated the blog forumosa.org/category/about/

That would be a mammoth task ironically, and i don’t think that is the problem now. There is a major new version of the software (phpbb) coming out in the near future and that will be a huge upgrade.

For now though, I am going through the exisiting code trying to strip all that is not necessary. In the long run, I am confident this will speed things up quite a bit. For now, apologies for the slow speeds.

It is faster now right?