When will quarantine in Taiwan end? (Currently 0+7)

It’s just for travelers from China. Correct link is probably this one:

Seems pretty watered down though, and I’m not sure what the “n” in “5+n” means.

New measures

1. Saliva PCR tests upon arrival at airports and ports.
  2. After being tested, directly undergo 0+7 self-health monitoring.
  3. Those who test positive must undergo 5+n home quarantine and self-health monitoring.
  4. Positive samples will be sent to CDC laboratories for genetic sequencing.
2 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

If negative after five days then you can leave quarantine. If not…a few more days for you

I don’t know how I missed the news, but it’s 0+7 now? I met someone yesterday for lunch who recently arrived from the US. He had to take a test or two and then he was free to go wherever. Can somebody point me to the new rules I missed?

The rules is 0+7 but no one checks on your +7 - that’s the experience of the people arriving here. And frankly if you arrive at the airport I mean it’s just another of this information going into your left ear and exiting straight from your right ear…

Most people in Taiwan realised that there is no difference in danger wherever you come from (except China because they just opened up) vs if you have been in Taiwan for a long time. Your chance to get infected is kinda the same anywhere in the world (except China) with seasonal differences likely in future being the main difference (because this time omicron swept through before winter in most of the northern hemisphere - the winter seasonality may not exist yet and start in 2023 first time)

1 Like

This is the information card I got with the free pack of rapid tests when entering Taiwan last week:

The QR code in the second image gets you here (after another page describing how to use the tests):

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/ArrivalQuarantine/info_en_1013.html

I won’t comment on whether I’ve bothered to do any of that and self-initiate a prevention period (or whatever the current jargon is). :whistle: But this is the first time I’ve bothered scanning the QR code or looking at the rules, and the box of tests I received is still sitting on my living room table unused.

I still think it’s pretty weird and decidedly un-Taiwanese that incoming travelers get a free box of tests while most locals and residents still need to pay for them (AFAIK). I also got a free mask, incidentally, because stern-looking airport staff were handing them out to the few of us not already wearing them when we got off the plane. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

So quarantine for migrant workers is still 7 days in hotel on entry? They usually don’t have a place for home quarantine.

1 Like

WTAF.

There doesn’t seem to be any plausible reason for that other than malice and grift. These guys really do get dumped on at every opportunity.

7 Likes

And employers are complaining about labour shortages.

2 Likes

Surprised they’re still doing that. I thought all of this had ended months ago.

1 Like

Man, this really needs to be challenged in court.

1 Like

Dont forget straight up racism.

3 Likes

no.

Self-prevention measures for migrant workers returning to Taiwan are the same as those for inbound tourists
https://www.wda.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=949874E4899E18ED&sms=59A1456A835E6B2A&s=2CC140099C424F70

Since last October
After the new 0+7 system on October 13, the anti-epidemic measures for
immigrant workers will be amended
https://www.wda.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=7F220D7E656BE749&sms=E9F640ECE968A7E1&s=1DA2682A8D49353F

2 Likes

There’s a huge difference in the actual law and what employers expect their slaves to do.

1 Like

Well most taiwanese don’t even seem to know this rule still exists. All taiwanese I know who went to travel abroad over CNY didn’t know they were supposed to do self health management… quite a few of them doctors straight back to their clinic. But yeah doctors in Taiwan wore masks anyhow back then, and likely now too…

The WDA stated that starting on March 15, arriving migrant workers can arrange to undergo the required seven days of self-health monitoring in places such as their employer’s house, worker dormitories, or hotels. The primary principle is that there should only be one person per room that ideally has a separate bathroom.
However, the WDA explained that if the bathroom and toilet can be adequately cleaned and disinfected after each use, incoming migrant workers can stay in a private room that shares a bathroom with others.

https://fwots.wda.gov.tw/news/view/101

It doesn’t seem like much has actually changed here, if the majority of migrant workers are stuck in dormitories anyway?

“self-health monitoring” for migrant workers seems to be different than for others, who usually can go about their day without being locked up in a room.

I thought it’s in response to the recent complaints about them still being required to pay through the roof for quarantine hotels, which this doesn’t seem to affect if it’s still one person per room (if they’re generally staying in dorms anyway).