Where are the girls with ink?

For some reason I have always liked girls with tattoos, my ex-gf in San Francisco was a lawyer and had a tattoo covering half of her back. But in Taipei only the hard metal/multiple piercing girls seem to have tattoos.
Is having a tattoo still a taboo in Taiwan ? In the US it’s become more or less the norm, in fact I am more suprised when I see a girl without a tattoo above her ass at the beach. Here’s some stats to back that up.

[quote]Esquire Magazine estimated in March 2002 that 1 in 8 Americans was tattooed

Harris Poll, 2003, estimates that fully 36% of those aged 25-29 have one or more tattoos.[/quote]

So am I just going to the wrong places ? or are there no cute girls with tattoos in Taipei ?

[quote=“snafu”]For some reason I have always liked girls with tattoos, my ex-gf in San Francisco was a lawyer and had a tattoo covering half of her back. But in Taipei only the hard metal/multiple piercing girls seem to have tattoos.
Is having a tattoo still a taboo in Taiwan ? In the US it’s become more or less the norm, in fact I am more suprised when I see a girl without a tattoo above her ass at the beach. Here’s some stats to back that up.

[quote]Esquire Magazine estimated in March 2002 that 1 in 8 Americans was tattooed

Harris Poll, 2003, estimates that fully 36% of those aged 25-29 have one or more tattoos.[/quote]

So am I just going to the wrong places ? or are there no cute girls with tattoos in Taipei ?[/quote]

I was at the beach in Fulong last weekend. LOTS of tattooed girlies there

I see tattooed girls absolutely everywhere.
Go hit a club, any club.
Or the beach.
Just watch out for their tattooed boyfriends.

Try the pool hall.

At least in Taiwan, if they get Chinese character tattoos, they’ll know what they mean!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And it won’t be written backwards (mirror image) either.

Always thought this was a classic…
http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/essays/tattoos.htm
Poor bastard!

For more tattoo fun, try visiting “Hanzi Smatter: dedicated to the misuse of chinese characters in western culture”.

There are some pretty funny stuff.

[color=violet]* I apologize if I have unwittingly offended any Forumosans currently sporting these non-sensical tattoos * :wink:[/color]

I remember hearing about that guy in the UK a while back. Poor bugger.

As for tattied girls here, I’ve seen plenty. Even had one (very attractive) Taiwanese girl flash me her breast in the 7/11 to show me her dragon tattoo after she say my tatts.

There seems to be a pretty hardcore tattoo thing going on here. I know they have magazines that feature artists work and stuff (that have pictures of lots of tatted womenz in them.) A friend of mine that was into the tatts was always going to Taizhong (or something) to get his tat work done.

Maybe that’s the palce to be.

Ximen also has loads of tatty places. I got one of mine done there. The rest where all done at a guy located in Sinjhuang’s version of a department store.

I got my tattoo done in San Francisco in…1965. :noway:

I can still read it. :slight_smile:

Had these done in Ximen.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … c&&start=0

The botched tattoos are great, last year in LA I saw a waitress with the words “Capre Diem” tattooed on her back. I asked her what it meant and she gladly informed me that it was seize the day, it was hard maintaining a straight face.

One of my classmates at Shi-Da had a tattoo on his ass that said Ni kan she ma ? best use of chinese characters IMHO.

Thanks for all the info guys I guess I’ll just have to look a bit harder for the inked girls.

The norm?
In europe it’s starting to be considered a litle stupid or redneck so people is paying a arm and a leg to have them removed and I don’t think it will be long befour the us folow.

[quote=“Highway Star”]Always thought this was a classic…
http://www.Cantonese.sheik.co.uk/essays/tattoos.htm
Poor bastard![/quote]

For some reason I don’t feel sorry for him.

I allways thought this trend trolls should get a tatto they understand the meaning off.

I find it so stupid when people come and show a tatto and tell it means love or something and I ask how do you know that it don’t mean a-hole or something.

When I was a boy I was going to be a sailor and get tattoed, but by the time I grew up everybody else had tatto so it just where not cool annymore. I seteled for being a sailor.

People get it for different reasons…not always to be cool. I know personally I can’t leave anything in it’s original form…always want to modify it. My poor scooter can’t climb Xindien mountain because it’s weighed down by all the stickers!!(ok, maybe because it’s a 50cc)

I think if you get a tattoo to look cool to other people, or do it for anyone but yourself, you’re making a big mistake…

Most of my tattoos have a meaning (as in reason why I got them) to them, however vague some of the meanings might be. The others I got just cause I felt like getting a tattoo and couldn’t think of anything else to get. :laughing:

When my buddy comes back to this island I want to get some big gangsta ass shit all over my back, arms and chest. The meaning will be “Wrong nigga to fuck with.”

I want to get some samurai’s, ninjas and daoist wizards in a big crazy battle scene to take over the earth… or not.

I thought tattoss were stupid for a long time, but recently I’ve thought it’d be cool to have one (a big crazy gangsta one.)

Some bad ass tattoos and a loincloth and I’d be set for life.

Quick edit: This kind of shit is PIMP!

I have lots of friends with tattoos. Actually, most of the girls i know have them…
So the answer is YES. You are going to the wrong places.

Quite a few pop stars have tattoos - 小S, for example, has one on her ankle. It seems like they;ve become quite popular.

A girl who used to work at the local Family Mart had one on her wrist, and the last time I was at Bliss I saw a girl with tattoos. Many I suppose get tattoos in hidden places where their parents won’t see them.

Lots of people also get the henna kind that only last a week.

When I lived here in the mid 90s, I only ever saw one Asian girl with tattoos. I was sitting next to her on the bus. I complemented her on her tattoos, and she responded by thanking me - with a perfect American accent. She was here visiting relatives!