The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

Yep, I only wear one in the office as we are required to, provided by the company though so I don’t really care about supply.

Had another colleague asking me to help translate a an email he received from a medical supply company in the states declining his mask order unless he could prove he was a licensed dentist in the US. Wasn’t able to come up with a rational explanation as to why he wanted so many masks, they definitely weren’t for resale.

1 Like

Open this with something other than Explorer. Click on the triangles and you can see how many masks each pharmacy has left (adult and children masks). Zoom in, etc. to get to a pharmacy near you, of course. Only in Chinese.

7 Likes

That looks like the one:

Thanks for the information, @Safari, and @JustifiedAndAncient.

Just as a sort of check, I guess this is the elementary school, further up the road, that @Safari was referring to:

That store is part of a chain called Xiǎoběi Department Stores (小北百貨, Xiǎoběi Bǎihuò, literally “Little North Hundred Products,” or something like that). They seem to refer to themselves as Showba.

If I type 小北 in the search function box, I get some results on the board:

Search results for '小北' - Forumosa

I don’t know from personal experience whether anyone will be able to buy masks at these stores. But I’m posting this just in case, and also as a way to sort of bump @Safari’s and @JustifiedAndAncient’s information.

I posted a similar tool above, just different interface:

4 Likes

I actually like this interface better. Didn’t see it before I posted my link.

Thanks, @marasan and @RickRoll !

Both pages look good to me.

I don’t know about other browsers, but just in case someone doesn’t know, with Chrome you can often translate from Chinese to English by right-clicking the page. Sometimes there’s a glitch, and a dialogue box appears that says, “This page could not be translated.” Then you should be able to click the “Options” button and choose the languages you’re translating from and to. And hopefully, that will correct the problem.

It seems that the hoarding problem is worse than we thought. A pharmacy in Xinzhuang was caught with 500 thousand masks. Please remember in theory masks are now under the Government control, to fill the need of medical services as priority, immunodepressed and other needy groups next.

https://tw.appledaily.com/local/20200206/QDDANSDJBVY3YAFVJ5BUCX6EWM/?fbclid=IwAR1dYQ35qmcPT1GCUaLXQD8lmxmabhexd_chomY6-gEaJvvn81l-TW_8R6w

6 Likes

Yes Yes. Thank You.

1 Like

You’re welcome, and thank you again.

Guy who made the mask hunt app said he saw 20k in his account from the sales of the app and thought, not bad. Then he realized it was in USD. :eek: :money_mouth_face:

Worked for Google he says, now based down South.

3 Likes

People buy an app to get info on who has masks? Totally f****d.

1 Like

Have tried both the maps pages linked in the thread and in my tiny sample set of 2 pharmacies that it said had masks, 1 with 10 and the other with 200, both had large signs outside saying today’s allocation had sold out. From this small study I provisionally conclude that they are only accurate when they say a location is sold out.

Will be interesting to see what happens next week as all the “get up early and queue” crowd will get theirs early in the week, if stock opens up towards the end of the week then we’ll know the hoarders were to blame for shortages, if not then we’re doomed!! :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

1 Like

If it’s using the same data set as the maps linked above he’ll find himself getting a lot of refund requests!

1 Like

Most probably yes. Otherwise, there should be a team running around 24h to update the stock levels just for the app…

The hoarders will figure out a way to beat the system.

BTW if anyone needs children masks, the Shanghai Pharmacy had in stock. Most of its clientele seems to be folks older than dirt, child masks were not exactly flying off the shelves.

1 Like

Use vodka for DIY hand sanitizer!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol OR 2 tablespoons vodka
10 drops tea tree essential oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
1/4 cup aloe vera gel
1/2 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
A small bottle

Mix all ingredients together, then pour into bottle and shake well before use.

3 Likes

vodka is more expensive than rubbing alcohol

But easier to buy these days…

1 Like

Have you tried buying rubbing alcohol lately?

3 Likes

I bought a small personal alcohol dispenser. 60 nt for a little glass bottle. Not really cheap. I’m sure any big plastic bottles of alcohol hand sanitizer/rubbing alcohol can’t be found now.