Where are the young men, a weight on their shoulders?

Why is it, that every time I enter these forums I am confounded by the irony that A)everyone is intelligent, witty and eloquent, and B) when I go out at night I am constantly confronted by fools? Do you lot actually live in Taiwan?

:laughing: Maybe the eloquent don’t hang out in seedy bars?

Noooo! NOOOOO!

So where the f do they hang out? At home with their ineloquent Taiwanese tai-tais? I dont really “hang out”, but when I am forced to go out by my friends I only ever meet idiots. Prefer to stay at home with my eloquent Hong Kong tai-tai. :beatnik:

Well, now that remark may explain why the intelligent foreigners in Taiwan ignore you. :unamused:

When we post, we have access to online dictionari and thesaurinorum. Further, we can only type with two fingers, giving us lots of time to think while posting.

This is not an accurate reflection of what life is like once we leave the house, however.

Having said that, take a look at the shit-fest happening in that Comedy Thread - why the fuck is it that whever people try to have a go at each other, but try to do it in a “subtle” way, they invoke the spirits of Oscar Widdle, and Jezza Chaucer?!

[quote]“Oh, but by using the words ‘cad’ and ‘merry jest’ I create the impression that I am intelligent, and that the contents of my eloquent post shouldn’t be construed as my cocking you with mine snook, fine sir!”

“Indyght, fair knyght! I’ve doth spaken unto hym an jape! Wherefor hast he returned to his chambre to sheddeth an tear? Misfortune! Am he not fyndyng an humourous synse about hym self?”

“Fol-de-lol! Thar be fyndyng an jalousie!”[/quote]

etc. etc.

Very impressive, no?

Well, now that remark may explain why the intelligent foreigners in Taiwan ignore you. :unamused:[/quote]

Sincerest apologies. That remark was ill-placed and offensive. Can I hang out with you now?

Well, now that remark may explain why the intelligent foreigners in Taiwan ignore you. :unamused:[/quote]

Sincerest apologies. That remark was ill-placed and offensive. Can I hang out with you now?[/quote]

Ah, that rarest of things: an online apology. A sign of a good character. Indeed, let us be friends my good man. :slight_smile:

I will be your friend, but I’m NOT going to Carnagies, Roxy Vibe or Brass Monkey. Do you like cricket? :smiley:

I think the key point was “when you go out at night”. hence,

a. we’re all too blitzed to show our intelligence and/or

b. you’re too blitzed to notice our intelligence.

try a nice sunday… day being the operative word.

I’ve never been to any of those places. Cricket. They taste like chicken, no?

I’ve never been to any of those places. Cricket. They taste like chicken, no?[/quote]

heh heh. I want Anthony Bordain to be my friend too. He has an auspicious background in narcotics.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]I think the key point was “when you go out at night”. hence,

a. we’re all too blitzed to show our intelligence and/or

b. you’re too blitzed to notice our intelligence.

try a nice Sunday… day being the operative word.[/quote]

have seen a lot of morons at carnage’s brunch, truth be told…

[quote=“dablindfrog”]
have seen a lot of morons at carnage’s brunch, truth be told…[/quote]

Yeah, that was me.

I must say, I was not displeased with the food at Carnagies when last I was dragged there.

Am I the only sad fool with no friends and nowhere to go on Taiwan’s birthday?

I am doing something DELICIOUS when I live the office. Been anticipating for weeks. Hope I can cheer up a bit so I am less dull.

Obviously spending too much time at work. :smiling_imp:

One of the reasons I continue to spend valuable time on forumosa is - as the original poster mentioned - that it is frequented by some pretty interesting chaps (well, in comparison to your average Canadian kindy teacher).

Oop. God, no, I work 30 hrs a week, tops. And half of that is spent sleeping with my eyes open in meetings. ‘Well, one way to approach this could be wibblewaffle rabbit, arf.’

I spend far too much time here, and I have no idea why because it’s boring and depressing. It also reminds that the world is not beautiful and that people are essentially bad which is like a kind of psychic memento mori, I guess. Habit, too, and it’s a good place to watch the fights. Sort of like a gladiatorial arena where everyone fights with rubber swords and throws jelly at eachother. Also can’t get into gmail or facebook at work.

Buttercup wrote: [quote]I spend far too much time here, and I have no idea why because it’s boring and depressing.[/quote]
Well, I hear ya, but I think the key is to balance online wastage with meeting up with folks in real life.
There are several other factors that make forumosa very attractive for folks such as myself

• I don’t often meet foreigners, and my wife doesn’t understand sheep jokes.
  • I spend long hours writing textbooks (of course for a pittance and with certain knowledge that despite my best efforts the books will be Taiwanized). Forumosa makes a welcome respite.