Where are Trump's Tax returns?

She’s the Speaker of the House which controls 1/3 of the government talk about power. Third in line for President, responsible for the balance of power in USA but, I regress.

Separation of powers is a wonderful thing. It works as far as it goes. We could use more it.

The Dems openly prefer to see power concentrated in whatever positions they happen to control at a given point in time. The Republicans give lip service to limited government, but don’t actually do much about it.

Demand all public officials’ tax returns be made public. If they don’t like it, they can abolish the federal income tax.

1 Like

The vast majority of Americans want to abolish the IRS and federal tax system. Several Republican candidates have run on this Issue. I personally think there should be no federal income tax or property tax then people can truly be free.

1 Like

Yes run free…free as the wind. The majority of Americans also want social security , a Strong military, schools, police, firemen, roads and a bunch of other stuff.

Donald Trump didn’t pay much income tax and he’s doing fine so you may have a point there.

Donald Trump didn’t pay much or any income taxes for the last 30 years. Master of branding, owns several Jets and helicopters,big ones. His apartment in New York City has real gold in it along with his Jets.
I could list a million other things but I think you all know.

New York Times said he’s lost a billion dollars? Owning several businesses over the years I claimed losses and actually made money that’s not dumb. Especially in real estate where depreciation and deductions are outrageous if you know how to work it.

If the IRS was eliminated and there was a consumption tax or something similar Donald Trump would have paid a lot of taxes over the last 30 years.

1 Like

Maybe we will soon know

2 Likes

Seems he has something to hide.

2 Likes

Is it right that this billionaire who says he is so rich and successful is not paying taxes ?

4 Likes

The MAGA narrative is already being retroactively constructed that only very stable geniuses like Trump can successfully avoid paying taxes. MAGA cult always just say “fake news” and find some reason why the rules don’t apply to him.

5 Likes

Which billionaires are paying significant taxes?

Only little people like me pay tax. We’ve just had ardent Brexiter Jim Ratcliffe fuck off to Monaco.

2 Likes

Democrats are mad at Trump because he followed the tax laws passed by the Obama administration.

3 Likes

What is right? Sounds very subjective.

The question is did he follow the law?

It was obvious to many when he refused to release his returns.

For years, the political world has speculated on just what Trump was trying to hide by holding back his returns, and by falsely claiming that he can’t release them until the IRS finishes an extended audit. Was it that he paid no income taxes at all in some years? Was it that he was far less successful of a businessman than he let on? Was he claiming legally dubious deductions?

The answer, it turns out, is all of the above.

Back when Trump first ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, he came under an enormous amount of criticism from his rivals for not releasing his tax returns, as past presidential nominees have. Initially, he had promised that he would release them. But he kept making excuses, his main one being the false claim he could not yet release the returns because he is under audit.

2 Likes

Follow the law is one thing. Act appropriately and ethically is another.

Follow the law isn’t enough to be a good leader. Lots of dictators follow the law that they created. :sunglasses:

Again is it subjective to think that a super rich guy should pay taxes when Joe blogs teacher pays his taxes ? Is that subjective or just simple fairness.
I remember they had a party many years ago in the US on the issue of tax fairness.

4 Likes

Are you saying leaders should voluntary pay more tax than what the law requires?

I’m saying they should be held up to high standards.
And their financial affairs should be transparent.
Both fails for Trump.

4 Likes

It’s also naive to expect that you’re getting the full picture from the media.

Businesses, especially high cost capital startups (like real estate), rarely record steady streams of profit every year, especially in the beginning. Trump recorded nearly a Billion dollars in business “losses” in the mid 90’s when he bought a ton of properties and he amortized that loss over the last 2 decades to reduce his taxable income.

It’s worth noting that 10 years later Trump was paying over $70 million just in federal income tax, and that’s just what NYT knows about and was willing to admit.

The NYT article even admits that tax returns say nothing about net wealth. For example, someone could buy a single $5 million beach property to rent out, and lose a million dollars, and a different person could buy $500 million in properties and lose $1 million. Same loss, but the 2nd person has a hell of a lot higher net wealth.

It sounds like they have a cobbled together set of incomplete records. One of the things they point out is that certain flagship properties of Trump, like his hotel in NYC, lose millions every year. But lots of companies have business segments that if looked at in isolation, lose money, but they keep them around because they yield value to other portions of the business that ultimately gets recorded elsewhere.

Until the NYT release what they have, there’s no way to really know what the hell they’re talking about, and the fact that they haven’t released anything indicates that they probably have a lot less than they’re claiming.

Oh attack the media when you don’t like the facts.

Come on dude try harder !!!

NYT have been transparent about what their report covers and doesn’t cover. This is so much better than Trump’s denials and obfucastions already.

On vast parts of his business empire he is paying no tax.

5 Likes

Exactly! Wait, I mean with respect to Trump, that is.

But how many are transparent?

Her net worth is actually $160,000,000 according to the fact checkers.
pelosi

2 Likes