Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

Didn’t Carrefour reduce the selection of western-ish baked goods again? I used to get different ciabatta there, and quite enjoyed them, but I haven’t seen the different flavours in a while now.

1 Like

Sorry, i haven’t noticed, usually I go for the boule bread or baguettes.

1 Like

Ah, OK - yeah, those are consistently solid quality, and also available at more branches (e.g. the Danshui one). The ciabattas used to be one of my reasons for going to Zhishan rather than Danshui.

1 Like

It’s a pretty hard crust. Definitely need a bread knife to cut through it. I kind of tore up the back of my throat once trying to swallow a not fully chewed up bit once. I’ve gotten too used to soft and essentially crust-less breads I guess.

1 Like

Really this is one of my only pet peeves when it comes to dining here. Sometimes I an able to buy a fairly normal loaf of bread, but most of the time it is terrible. A strange concoction of cake flour, butter flavored shortening and a ton of sugar. I hate it when I buy many expensive ingredients for a sandwich only to have it ruined buy terrible bread. Does anyone know of a place preferably near Zhonghe that I can consistently find a normal (buy European standards) white or whole wheat loaf of bread that hasn’t been adulterated by awful ingredients? Thanks!

1 Like

I find the bread in Carrefour bakery (Buole?) bread and their baguettes to be very nice.

2 Likes

Just a push for this. Pure is by far the best bread in Taipei.

3 Likes

in my opinion most bread in Taiwan is way too sweet. Even the ones that are not even supposed to be sweet. I feel the only way to get good bread is either pay out the ass for it, or make it yourself.

1 Like

Zhonghe is not known as the epicenter of baking excellence.

If you’re willing to travel to the city, I can recommend the bakery at the Joel Robuchon outpost located in the Fuxing Sogo department store, B3 level (same level as the CitySuper supermarket), This is directly next to the Zhongxiao-Fuxing MRT Station, if that helps.

I also agree with @the_bear that Purebread (further afield in Taipei city’s Daan District) is a very good choice. I would also add Boulangerie Ours as a very nice up-and-coming option, also alas deep in Daan District.

If you find other options to your liking, do let us know.

Guy

3 Likes

The only thing with PureBread is it’s not a browsing friendly bakery. You have to ask for what you want and they sell out fast of some breads. But their focaccia is amazing.

3 Likes

Bread in Taiwan is more like sweet cake, almost sickeningly sweet. Is there anywhere in Taipei where i can buy good healthy bread, that tastes like bread?

2 Likes

Suggest using the search function in the top right corner. There must be like 500 threads about this.

2 Likes

This one’s a start

4 Likes

Costco has some proper American style bread.

That’s American-style bread? I thought it’s just typical mass-produced stuff, maybe one notch above what you can buy in any 7-11 or PX Mart but that’s not saying much. Even my local (small, ex-Wellcome) Carrefour has better bread than Costco IMO.

I wouldn’t call it “decent bread” anyway, even for Taiwan. I occasionally buy Costco bread out of convenience and because it’s cheap, like the brioche burger buns (because I haven’t bothered learning how to make them yet) or parbaked baguettes (for when I don’t have time), but I’ve always found most of the bread products they sell quite mediocre and disappointing.

1 Like

American style bread is the mass produced junk.

You want German black bread. These don’t taste very good but I’ve yet to find any in Taiwan. You could buy those in Germany at any discounters.

I was thinking the same thing but wasn’t sure how to say it. I’m wondering if there’s any bread here that isn’t sweetened. From what i can understand, American bread is sweetened with HFCS, not much better than the Taiwanese cake-bread

1 Like

Costco had good bread, quite expensive though, for a while. Not anymore, although it’s been almost a year since my last visit to Costco.

No, I want American white bread. I don’t like stuff that doesn’t taste very good.

3 Likes

That black german bread doesn’t taste very good but is very healthy and filling. about 4 slices is a full meal.

I’ve never gone hungry eating them and actually lost weight too.

American bread is bad for your health, and Taiwanese bread is basically american bread with a little too much sugar.