Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

It wasn’t you. I was also confused. :rofl:

2 Likes

This is surprising to me as take-out places in Taiwan seem to have done a brisk trade during the crisis. Bakeries with international staff have however run into some challenges as moving people around nowadays is not a simple matter.

Guy

Yeah, but you are always drunk!
PolarBearDrunk

2 Likes

You know who owns this right? The evil oil scandal empire.

1 Like

Don’t worry, they always saved their best margarine for the bread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess people don’t think of bread as a takeout item. You walk by and get something. The one by Tianmu Carrefour just did a major remodel, still surprising. Other nearby bakeries seem to be doing OK, so hard to say what went wrong for them I guess. Maybe they were ramping up at just the wrong moment.

Has anyone mentioned the boulangerie in the new Breeze center (nanshan)? Very good French loafs and mini quiches.

1 Like

Including the sweet crust?

Can’t remember it being sweet. Had three already. PDG.

Not sweet then, you’d remember if it were sweet. I hate those, quiche should not have a sweet crust.

1 Like

Twice the size of terrible Taiwanese style cake. To me, this is bad thing.

We ordered the black forest cake from Lutetia last week (it can be ordered online). One of the best cakes I ever had in Taiwan. Not that this means a lot, but it was a good European (ergo non-Taiwanese) style cake.

1 Like

How good was it? Not sure I could bring myself to order from a company with this on it’s website…

2 Likes

Lutetia is very good, they have also products that meet the local pallete, but i usually enjoy their European style pastries. However, if you are going to Tianmu for lutetia, the bakery at the big carrefour near Zhishan also has good cakes and baked goods.

2 Likes

While you’re over there, Wendell’s near there as well.

4 Likes

Also can endorse

1 Like

Personally, I feel Wendell’s is overpriced for what you get. 15 years ago it was “wow”, but now you can get good baked goods in many more places.

1 Like

I think it’s actually quite reasonable compared to other places of that type. It can’t compare to Carrefour prices, obviously.

1 Like

It was good enough. Maybe not ideal as a 3 year-old birthday cake, because the fruits (cranberries and cherries) were soaked in liquor. Also, be ready to pay more for it, and a shipping fee too if sent to your home.

In previous occasions, we got sponge cakes from here:

閑恬Mydeli手作美味坊

Above Taiwanese average too.

2 Likes

I’ll plug Pure Bread here while everyone else does the same with their bakeries of choice. Excellent European flavor only bakery. They have delivery. Not a Costco chocolate cake (pumpkin cake is amazing though and they do have brownies) and certainly more expensive, but very worth it flavor to me. https://www.purebread.com.tw/

3 Likes

Looks like real sourdough. Is the crust properly chewy or have they adapted it for local weak teeth? “太硬!”

1 Like