Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

Where are you getting American bread?? I’d be overjoyed to see some of that in Taiwan.

Oh . . . you mean
Taiwanese bread
, which for some unfathomable reason you think is somehow Americanized. Clearly you know nothing.

[quote]Where are you getting American bread?? I’d be overjoyed to see some of that in Taiwan.

Oh . . . you mean Taiwanese bread, which for some unfathomable reason you think is somehow Americanized. Clearly you know nothing.[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is Wonderbread not the most popular bread in America? Now I’m no connosseur of fine white breads, but is there really that much difference between a 7-11 loaf and a loaf of Wonderbread?

Come on MaPoSquid, Wonderbread is as American as well…
American cheese!

Sun Merry, look out for their French baguettes. Also have some really good brown dinner rolls.

Wecare, they have a Portuguese bread, Foccaccia, and a rustic country loaf.

I highly recommend both.

ALL OTHER TAIWANESE-STYLE BAKERIES SUCK TO HIGH HEAVEN. Expect sweet, milk-powder yuckiness.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
You must be joking… .[/quote]

and I was. cmon, 7-11? :slight_smile:

I like wecare too.

now Bush does not embarrass me, but this embarrasses me :blush: however in certain households the “white death” will not be found :wink:

[quote=“Redmenace”][quote]Where are you getting American bread?? I’d be overjoyed to see some of that in Taiwan.

Oh . . . you mean Taiwanese bread, which for some unfathomable reason you think is somehow Americanized. Clearly you know nothing.[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is Wonderbread not the most popular bread in America? Now I’m no connosseur of fine white breads, but is there really that much difference between a 7-11 loaf and a loaf of Wonderbread?

Come on MaPoSquid, Wonderbread is as American as well…
American cheese![/quote]
Wonder Bread maker files for bankruptcy

I guess they must not be that popular any more.

I’m not sure if the rant about 7-11 is accurate. The articles I’ve read about convenience store box lunch sanitation have pretty much all given failing grades to everyone BUT 7-11. E.g.:

taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003176340

Anyways, the “Brioche” bread at 7-11 is not bad, but overall I recommend the Liz Gastro bakery in the Landis Hotel as best bread in Taiwan. (Minquan East Road Sec 2 at Jilin Road.)

buy a bread-maker and you can make whatever kind of bread floats your boat. they’re relatively cheap, and so’s the stuff.

haven’t bought bread in years …

you are all wrong.

What the guy needs is a bit of advice on how to get is bread so it’s great every time.

The Sun Merry French baguette is quite good. My husband and I (both French) are eating it with Cheese brought abroad… You can find the baguette but still not the fromage.

jason’s in Taipei 101

decent goat cheeses in Costco.

I am trying to cut down on eating processed flour products and would like to know where to find good, geniune whole grain bread and perhaps even whole grain pasta or noodle products. I notice that the bakeries tend to have what they say are whole wheat breads, but are actually just white breads with food coloring.

Any nice bakeries in the east side of Taipei near Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park or Taipei City Hall?

Thanks… :help:

Anywhere I can get sliced white pan?

Good bagles, too?

I’m surprized there isnt a ton of bagel places in TW, they really hit it off in the states and TW does like to copy us…i mean look at Starbucks! Anyways the bagels I have had from my local bakery has been good enough.

The most edible bread I have found other than my own is at Johan in the Mitsikoshi No 2 basement next to the Warner village.

The most edible bread I know of outside of Taipei, is at my place.

I should of course subscribe now under a few dozen names, and advertise for the Tavern-Premier bread and state that it is the best in the universe or something like that. Actually my vote for the best bread still goes to Wendel’s bakery in Tienmou.

Just got back from my first trip to Costco in weeks and happy to discover that they have a good new bread on offer.

Two big loaves of Pugliese bread, a crusty Italian-style, for NT$119. I snatched a package up as soon as I saw it and have been munching on it all weekend.

Not sure anyone mentioned before, but here is a place famous for its bagels:

N.Y Bagels Cafe (four places in Taipei)
nybagelscafe.com/

The one I used to go is located at the cross of Ren’ai and Anhe Rd. It’s really easy to find and it’s open 24 HRs! :bravo:

there is a bakery on VVV in mujha that has nice french bread… and the mujha wellcome even has nice sliced white that has no traces of sweetener. not great but good enough for morning vegemite on toast and work lunch… camembert, red toms, basil… yum

there are lots of starbucks everywhere and not everywhere likes bagels.