Where can I find Russians in TW?

Would cryptocurrency be of use here? Obviously, there must be some means of turning it back into rubles at the other end, but I’m guessing that’s not a problem at the moment.

Yes he did—nice work.

Guy

maybe contact @Yastrubinskiy , as this thread above was around the time that sanctions came about and Russia, I believe, was looking into Union Pay.
Anyway, good luck.

3 Likes

lol, I wish I knew… I’m trying to wire money from Russia to Taiwan. Same problem!
Someone recommended me to use bitcoins and transfer money this way. The problem is I have no one in Russia who deals with bitcoins.

Tried to bring money here through a friend of mine is Russia. But then Putin announced partial mobilization and my friend was caught up by the police right in the airport before flying off to Taiwan…

2 Likes

Yea. All of the Russians I know similarly don’t have any way either.

2 Likes

Ughhh. I am very sorry to hear this. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

Do you mean the crypto exchanges are not operating or have been shut down? I was under the impression Russia had a fairly solid crypto infrastructure.

The crazy leader will stay in power as long as he has the support of the normal people. A little financial incentive to get them to wake up can’t hurt.

1 Like

I’ve flip flopped on this issue a few times, but I can confidently say that the pain imposed on regular Russian people is doing nothing to change Putin’s mind. This is Putin’s war. The people are already suffering for the war happening in the first place; now they have no money. Putin doesn’t care what happens to his people. The mobilization is leading to 300,000 more men to go die, hence every man in Russia doing everything he can to get out. Its not cowardice that had lead so many men to flee. Its an understanding that if you are not an oligarch that Putin currently likes very much, you are free game to be sent to Ukraine and be a murderer. Your family can’t receive money. You can’t legally travel to practically anywhere. Again, because your pReSiDeNt FoR liFe leader is a maniac.

1 Like

I’m not saying Putin cares about his people. I’m saying his people, who largely support him and his war, appear to need some incentive to wake up. Want your money back? Get a new leader who doesn’t invade your neighbors.

Yeah but his people dont largely support him. They can’t do anything if they dont want to go to prison. This isn’t the Chinese, who, even after renouncing their citizenship to China in order to gain citizenship elsewhere, continue to praise the CCP and spit on the US and all other countries that aren’t China. Most Russians actually hate Putin and dont support him. The only Russian people who support Putin are those in Saint Petersburg and Moscow who have enjoyed a pretty nice, “Western-style” life under Putin. The rest of Russia hasn’t ever had those benefits. They could ignore Putin because his games were happening far away. Now those same people are being sent to murder Ukrainians, but protesting just leads to being sent to fight and murder even more quickly.

1 Like

I heard they have been buying some oil thru trading companies in Singapore

1 Like

What do those capital letters mean?

1 Like

Konstantin Kisin has several articles on substack discussing these issues. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

Well, according to what I’ve learned from the internet:

1. Some crypto exchanges shut down their operations in Russia and frozen accounts of Russians;
  2. Others do not allow opening new accounts; those accounts that still work can only sell their crypto;
  3. Few crypto exchanges that still operate allow buying crypto only in foreign currencies, no Rubles. But here are two problems - First, Russians cannot use Visa and Mastercard issued by Russian banks anymore to buy crypto. So unless they have bank accounts opened somewhere else, they cannot do any operations in crypto exchanges anyway; Second problem, Central bank doesn’t allow banks to sell foreign currency. People can now only sell their USD, EURO, GBP to banks.
1 Like

That’s bizarre. I know the US has been making noises about shutting down transnational exhanges, but I would have thought Russian-owned exchanges and peer-to-peer exchange (crypto to rubles and vice versa) would be thriving.

Can’t say anything about that. I’m not too much into crypto. Those are just the facts that I found while trying to find ways to transfer money from Russia to Taiwan

doesn’t @dogecat want to wire money to Russia and you want to wire money into Taiwan? This is how old-style trading currency works, no? But, only problem is if the amounts on both ends don’t match up that well.

1 Like

Facebook’s Russian Speaking community, just post ur problem there. I thought similar questions with solutions (not many) around there.

In Soviet Russia, Russian find YOU!!!