Where is the best place for brunch?

G’day Cafe. 180 Xing An St. Small and casual and really yummy and there’s bottomless coffee.

Located just off Fu Xing North Road and in the back lanes of the main financial district, this friendly and welcoming cafe offers home-cooked meals at reasonable prices. G’Day’s large menu offers plenty of Mexican specialties, burgers and sandwiches, as well as some basic Asian dishes. Simply decorated, this restaurant is consistently popular with both expats and locals. Try the daily specials, which include as much self-service coffee you can drink.

Yeah, it was a spontaneous Forumosa Happy Hour on Sunday morning. Brunch on the patio with Rascal, Iris, Iris’ Mutter und Schwester (Schwing!), Chewycorns, Chewycorns’ beautiful gf, Okami, Squid, Tomas, and his better half, and of course, the ubiquitous Stragbasher. The food was good, and the service was pretty decent too, considering. :bravo: :uhhuh:

I cant wait to get back to Taipei and try the Carnegies b’fast. I have been spoilt here in Australia - outdoor fry ups and unique b’fast menus (eg - the granola with spicy rhubard and steamed vanilla milk I had on Sunday)… but if somewhere is finally selling decent Western style brekkies, that is great news.

I cant believe the slop I used to accept in the form of Nitties and Jakes…

Liked the food in Carnegies very much as well and it was plenty. Service was really friendly and quick, so all in all, really enjoyed the Forumosian Brunch…

I always go to Malibu by the side door of the Imperial hotel. If you want a good Western breakfast in Taiwan you must have Philippine kitchen staff. I am sorry to say that the Chinese cooks just don’t get it you end up with a pickle on your hashed browns.

Carnegie’s gets my vote for the best brunches in town: large helpings, fresh OJ, bottomless tea or coffee and reasonable prices. Malibu West is my second choice. Citizen Cain’s brunches are OK too. At the bottom of the list is Dan Ryan’s, which is terribly overrated.

I really miss the buffet brunches back home. Are there any such places here?

:loco:

Both Carnegie’s and Malibu West are good, IMHO. What’s the Citizen Cain brunch like these days??

I love brunch. Sunday brunch, Saturday brunch, 11:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m., whatever. And I’m talking WESTERN-style brunch: (Actual) Eggs Benedict, pancakes, sausage, good coffee, several choices of juice, good French Toast, really good omelets, with lots to choose from.

So far, the only half-way decent western brunch places I’ve found are, of course, Grandma Nitti’s in the Shi Da area, and a place called Juke’s near the corner of Heping Dong Lu and Dunhwa Nan Lu .

I’ve tried Swenson’s, but they stop serving breakfast at something like 10 a.m. (EVEN ON SUNDAYS!!!) The IgNOMiny!!!

So, my question is – does anyone know of any other good venues for a nice Western-style Sunday brunch?

bump

[quote=“Peter-Paul”]
So, my question is – does anyone know of any other good venues for a nice Western-style Sunday brunch?[/quote]

I think that if you read back to some of the other posts in this thread, we get a few mentions. Our address is below.

Brunch (there is a dedicated brunch menu) is available on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. On Saturday happy Hour is until 9 p.m. and on Sunday drinks are Happy Hour Prices all day. Also available on Sunday is our traditional three-course English Sunday Roast and the Yorkshire Puddings are superb. That and a glass of wine or a beer are included in the price of NT$820 per person. The roast is available from one and advance reservation for your roast is required. Just call the number below to reserve your roast and we’l do the rest.

Cheers & Merry Christmas to you all

Bob Marshall
General Manager
Carnegie’s Taipei

I reckon the best bet would be some hotel.

Rascal, didn’t I bribe you once to plug us?

:smiley:

Bob

Yeah, but zazen was asking for buffet brunch. Else Carnegie’s would be my first recommendation of course. :wink:

Yeah, but zazen was asking for buffet brunch. Else Carnegie’s would be my first recommendation of course. :wink:[/quote]

I also realise that but I was hoping that bribery would have included a plug for us like you just did with the last part of your sentence above.

Brown envelope for you behind the bar as usual.

M. al-Fayed

Fu Hua (Howard Plaza) Hotel on the corner of Renai and Fuxing. Reservations are highly recommended.

We have a $200 all day breakfast from 11:30am - 5:30pm and it consists of:

Muesli & milk
2 eggs, however you want them
Bacon
1/2 Sausage
Beans
Fried tomato
Jacket fries
Toast with jam/butter.
Bottomless coffee/tea.

It’s reasonably kid friendly during the day and has free Wi-Fi access.

Cheers,

Darren Hassan
General Manager
The Shannon Taipei

Fu Hua (Howard Plaza) Hotel on the corner of Ren’ai and Fuxing. Reservations are highly recommended.[/quote]

I concur, and then there’s Carnegies (a bit pricey but very very good), and of course, the EXCELLENT Sunday buffet brunch at the Tavern, only NT$350!! From 12 - 4pm every Sunday!

Fu Hua (Howard Plaza) Hotel on the corner of Ren’ai and Fuxing. Reservations are highly recommended.[/quote]

Tigerman generously took me for lunch there the other day and it was very good indeed. It is your traditional Sunday carvery. No view of course, and you are sitting in a hotel dining room, but it had a great selection incuding fresh oysters and sashimi.

If you can get in on one of Bob’s Buffets at Carnage they are excellent though. Splendid curry. I think he only does them for private parties. The chambers of commerce had their Anuual Drinking Competition there. If you get one of the Carnegies members’ cards he does invitation-only buffets to thank the likes of me for my invaluable custom ha ha ha. Superb.

Also recommend any buffet done by Deepak of the Himalaya (?) restaurant. Not sure if I’ve got the restaurant name right, but you’re looking for a guy from Bombay called Deepak. Fantastic Indian food. As good if not better than the best in Leeds or Bradford, and that is high praise indeed. If you can get one of his curried legs of lamb you will have the feed of your life.

Right again, it’s Deepak of the Himalaya restaurant. And his rootis are to die for, too. In fact, all his food is to die for.