Where is the best place for brunch?

In Taichung check out The Londoner. Brunch on Sat & Sun from 11am-5pm. NT$250 for breakfast, juice & coffee. Get a choose from 10 breakfast favourites.

[quote]We have a $200 all day breakfast from 11:30am - 5:30pm and it consists of:

Muesli & milk
2 eggs, however you want them
Bacon
1/2 Sausage
Beans
Fried tomato
Jacket fries
Toast with jam/butter.
Bottomless coffee/tea.

Itā€™s reasonably kid friendly during the day and has free Wi-Fi access.
[/quote]

Iā€™ve been trying to go there for a month but everytime I am suposed to meet someone and they get there first and go to Dan Ryans.
Iā€™ll go with just me and the wife tomorow and give it a shot.

Dix2111, how was the brunch at Citizen Cain?

I actually went to the Shannon for brunch. Iā€™ve been to Citizen Kane but I havent been there for a long time. I dont get out much
The brunch at Shannon wasnt bad. It wasnt great but well worth the 200nt. Itā€™s a great bargin for the money. The waitstaff were nice but service was a bit slow. I donā€™t know for sure but it seemed like it wasnt their fault but some kind of cog was loose in the system.

Iā€™ll go back there again but Iā€™d go back a lot more often if the service was faster. I like to eat and run. After 5 years of mariage, My wife and I kinda ran out of brunch conversation.

New York Bagel is pretty good if you are a bagel fan. Itā€™s on Renai, just past An-he. You can get a full breakfast (all day on weekends) with coffee and juice for 200nt. And your food will actually arrive at the table hot! There are apects of the service that are a little dicey (like the fact that you will never get condiments unless you ask) but the food is consistently good. Oh, except for the pancakes - donā€™t get those, theyā€™re terrible.

I naturally have a certain bias in this thread but I believe that inherent bias notwithstanding, there are very good grounds to state that our brunch is very good.

Bob

Had brunch at Amaroniā€™s last weekend. Hereā€™s my two cents about the restaurant:

FOOD & PRICE:

Pretty good, especially the crepe which Iā€™ve ordered (NT$250 exclusive of tax), which turned out to be two pieces crepe (of course) with shredded chicken, broccoli and rice, drizzled with cheese and baked hot in the oven; served with cut potatoes. It was delicious!

My friend ordered an omelette (NT$230 if I remember it right) and that tasted just okay. It came however, with a medium-sized, cinnamon roll that I found to be delicious, especially with coffee. Youā€™re allowed choose three ingredients from a wide choice of fillings btw for the omelette.

Coffee from Amaroniā€™s is refillable and tastes fine, except that it doesnā€™t come along with the meal. Youā€™d have to pay an extra NT$50 bucks for it. :frowning:

AMBIENCE & LOCATION

Despite having an Italian theme, Amaroniā€™s reminded me so much of Dan Ryanā€™s ā€” not surprising since they share the same owners. The seats are plentiful, perfect for large groups, and even if you donā€™t make reservations, youā€™re still sure to get seats. The interiorā€™s a bit dark, but itā€™s comfy and relaxing. What I didnā€™t like, however, was that day, a couple of families had kids that were forever running around and disrupting other guests. Now, that was irritating. :raspberry:

The restaurant itself isnā€™t very convenient to get to, especially if you donā€™t have your own car/scooter. Good thing my friend had her car, but if you donā€™t, you can take the MRT to the Chungshan or Nanjing E. stop, and either walk, take the bus, or the taxi. I personally think a taxiā€™s the best choice, since itā€™s not really that near the MRT.

SERVICE

Thereā€™s still SO much room for improvement on the service department!

Though the service was quite friendly (My server was smiling a lot of times and they were very accommodating), itā€™s such a pain to have to repeatedly call our server to our table so that they can refill our glasses of water/coffee. Most of the time, theyā€™re all gathering next to the cash register and talking (Amaroniā€™s, please train your employees better), but if you can get them to pay attention and serve you, the service is quite okay.

FINAL VERDICT?

I think Amaroniā€™s is a nice, relaxing place to have brunch. The foodā€™s not as big as Carnegieā€™s, but fill you up quite well ā€” and itā€™s reasonably-priced compared with other brunch places. :sunglasses:

But overall, itā€™s a good place to go to. Given the chance, Iā€™d go back there again to have brunch. Hope they can significantly improve their service by then. :slight_smile:

Just a brief comment on Raventinaā€™s post. I am not commenting on the subject matter but it was a good post and the type of post that as an operator, I find useful and the kind of opinion that leads to improvement in areas that may be lacking.

Well done, and I hope that there are more such useful posts.

Bob Marshall
General Manager

When I have this problem, I just get up, find my server and ask them for what I want. It works great. I started doing this five or six years ago after years of frustration with the service here.

I agree that this is not the way things should work, and I hope Amaroniā€™s and the other restaurants in Taipei can train and retain professional wait staff, but until that happy day, Iā€™m going to continue with my proactive approach.

Just a reminderā€¦
Our $200 all day Irish style breakfast will now be available on Saturdayā€™s as well as Sundays from 11:30am - 5:00pm
It consists of:

Muesli & milk
2 eggs, however you want them
Bacon
English Sausage
Beans
Fried tomato
Jacket fries
Toast with jam/butter.
Bottomless coffee/tea.
Juice

Itā€™s reasonably child friendly during the day and has free Wi-Fi access.

Oh no. The only time Iā€™m getting up early on a Sunday for a brunch meeting and I find out Carnegieā€™s wonā€™t be serving it.

I need a nice quiet enough place, can seat six people, good food, can talk for a couple of hours, has an extensive vegetarian selection as only two people eat meat. A little pricey is cool, but as long as the place is nice for a meeting.

Suggestions?

Sorry.

Bob

[quote=ā€œ914ā€]Oh no. The only time Iā€™m getting up early on a Sunday for a brunch meeting and I find out Carnegieā€™s wonā€™t be serving it.

I need a nice quiet enough place, can seat six people, good food, can talk for a couple of hours, has an extensive vegetarian selection as only two people eat meat. A little pricey is cool, but as long as the place is nice for a meeting.

Suggestions?[/quote]

The buffet at Far Eastern. Itā€™ll be about 1000 per person, but well worth it. Make reservations. The Yi Cafe.

Iā€™d second that recommendation. Theyā€™ve been feeding me all week as well as helping us out by allowing us to cater a couple of functions through letting us use their kitchens. :notworthy: A great hotel indeed. BUT I think that their breakfast is only served until about 11 or so. I will check for you and edit this later.

Added later: I have this info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak:

The breakfast at Yi Cafe stops at 10.30a.m. Then a buffet lunch is available from 11.45. The brunch at the Marco Polo on the 39th floor with live jazz band is NT$1200 per person (add NT$600 and as much Champagne as you can drink) but it is fully booked this Sunday.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Bob

I would say that JBā€™s is a good place for brunch, the breakfast being particuarly good value. Its big.

Anothing over $1000 I think is too expensive. Other alternatives I will have a think.

[quote=ā€œSteven Crowā€]I would say that JBā€™s is a good place for brunch, the breakfast being particuarly good value. Its big.

Anothing over $1000 I think is too expensive. Other alternatives I will have a think.[/quote]

:laughing: Why start now?

I remember reading a massively positive post about the Far Eastern champagne breakfast last year. It may have been by Alien, but Iā€™m far too lazy to look for it.

NT$1800 for all you can eat AND drink doesnā€™t sound too bad for a special event. Iā€™ve contemplated going there several times, but itā€™s the sort of thing that needs to be done in a crowd.

Best Breakfast all day (non-buffet) JUKES (Jakes Urban Kitchen East) on HePing just west of DunHua.) Never get tired of it. Damn sight better than Grandma Nittyā€™s. No service charge. Friendly and helpful staff. Always leave a tip 'cause they deserve it.

Best regular Saturday/Sunday Brunch Iā€™ve had so far: Carnegieā€™s. Easily the best Sunday brunch menu. Served till 5 p.m., so I can still get brunch after I wake up from my Sunday afternoon evangelical nap. :wink: And Bob gets his staff to play the right music.

(I wonā€™t say anything about disappearing waitresses this time because every flippinā€™ place in Taiwan has the same problem! Besides, some of them at Carnegieā€™s know me by name and itā€™s nice to be greeted by cute waitresses when you come in the door :wink: )

Best special-event buffet brunch: The Tavern. Great spread put on for Canadian Society events and during Terry Fox Run.

Best all-round breakfast buffet. Grand Hyatt. Western Buffet and Chinese buffet. A tad pricey, but worth it once in a while.
Oh yeah, er, darned difficult to find a waitress to get you a cup of coffee!

Willing to try if they still have it: Citizen Cain, The Shannon.

Just about given up on: Amaroniā€™s and Dan Ryanā€™s

Both have same owner, same decor and same menu for last 7 years (at least).

Time for a little renovation and innovation!

Completely given up on: Any buffet at the Westin

Completely given up on: New York Bagel Cafe on RenAi Rd at AnHe Rd. I was really excited when this place opened cause itā€™s fairly convenient, moderately priced and served the kind of food I like.
But service started going to hell in a handbasket the minute they started charging you a 10 percent service charge.

Still go there when Iā€™m in the neighbourhood: Original New York Bagels on YiTong Street near NanJing E. Rd.
Unlike the new location, the old location has good food, good staff and doesnā€™t charge a service charge. Breakfast on weekends is good and a good deal.

[quote=ā€œSteve Zodiacā€]Best regular Saturday/Sunday Brunch Iā€™ve had so far: Carnegieā€™s. Easily the best Sunday brunch menu. Served till 5 p.m., so I can still get brunch after I wake up from my Sunday afternoon evangelical nap. :wink: And Bob gets his staff to play the right music.

(I wonā€™t say anything about disappearing waitresses this time because every flippinā€™ place in Taiwan has the same problem! Besides, some of them at Carnegieā€™s know me by name and itā€™s nice to be greeted by cute waitresses when you come in the door :wink: )

[/quote]

Thanks for the positive feedback Steve; appreciated. I aleays prefer to pass on the credit for the things we do well to the people who do them (conversely, I am always prepared to take the blame for things that go wrong) but I just want to mention that every Sunday morning, regardless of what state I am in, I always manage to get up early and choose the music myself before disappearing back to bed. With due respect to the staff I doubt that they would necessarily choose that which you and I appreciate or find necessary for a Sunday. If you have any suggestions on further choices of that ilk, Iā€™ll be happy to accommodate.

Cheers & See You Soon,

Bob

Nice posting Steve Zodiac, you have really researched the brunch market here.

Recently I went back to [b]G

Steve Zodiac wrote:

[quote]Carnegieā€™s.