Where my email alerts at?

My email alerts have suddenly stopped arriving in my mailbox, a few weeks back, on 10/15. Anyone else experience this?

I’ve been relying on email alerts to avoid having to log onto the site. Since the interruption, I’ve tried changing my subscriptions, leaving and re-joining topics, etc. I haven’t the received the confirmation emails either. The only email I still get from the site is for PM notifications.

Any advice?

I have set up new forum e-mail alerts at forumosa.info Now, you can follow forum discussions WITHOUT having to go to Forumosa.com – you can receive them in your e-mail inbox instead!

Each alert will contain the full text of a new post made to that forum, as well as a link directly back to that post in case you feel like posting a reply

Here is an example:[quote]Reply-To: do-not-reply-pls@forumosa.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 03:39:15 UT
Subject: F.com [ ARTS ] .:: What the hell are you listening to now!! ::.

Nin hao,

FORUM : Arts & Entertainment…
SUBJECT : What the hell are you listening to now!!
AUTHOR : watanabee
URL : [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 196#225196](What are *you* listening to? (Part 1)

I’ve found links such as these great for learning about new artists, people’s recommendations, rare tracks, etc.

So please share what’s in your cd player/mp3 player now.

For me right now, I’m doing a little shoegazing.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless and Isn’t Anything

Slowdive - Souvlaki

Ride - Nowhere

Spacemen 3 - Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To.

I’m a newbie to this forum, although I’ve been lurking for a while, and I arrive in Taipei in 3 days from Vancouver. So I guess this makes this my greetings post.

So please share what your listening to.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE: Visit forumosa.com/taiwan/notifications.php
Forumosa.com - The Ultimate Taiwan-oriented Online Community[/quote]

Do we have to do anything (ya, I imagine we do) to avail oirselves (not a spelling mistake, I was just talking to Hexuan) of this fancy shmancy new bell (or is it a whistle?)

So…how??? …simple easy to follow steps please. (Unlike my writing)

ToeSitsinthecornerwithpointyhat

I am listening to George Benson Take 5 NOW!

oh…NOW it’s I’m a Man by Joe Jackson…Can’t you see me laughing can’t you see me smile…

To subscribe to a list, do the following:

1. Decide which lists you want to join

2. Send an e-mail message to majordomo (at) forumosa.info (let me make sure you read that right: forumosa-dot-INFO not forumosa-dot-COM)

3. In the body of your message, type a subscribe command like so:

[code]subscribe

Example: subscribe open[/code]

1. Watch out for a subscription confirmation to be sent to your Inbox

2. See the e-mail alerts roll in!

Please note:[ul][li]Alerts can be sent anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes after they are posted on the websites – so if you visit this website on a regular basis, this feature is not for you![/li]
[li]Only original input text is e-mailed, not edited text. Do not be surprised is the author of a post edited their post – thus making it different from the one you receive in your inbox[/li][/ul]

To unsubscribe, you can follow the same process: just change the word subscribe to UNsubscribe

[color=darkred]IMPORTANT: Please do not write directly to the mailing list. The list is password protected, so only the forum software is supposed to be able to send messages for distribution. If we believe you are spamming the list – we will take whatever actions necessary to stop you (we’ll ask nicely first :wink:), and then ask questions later. Mailing list abuse is an offense that I would bring up with the Star Chamber

We encourage you to offer positive commercial services to the Forumosa.com community in the appropriate forums, events and web banners. Writing directly to the forumosa.info mailing is NOT APPROPRIATE.[/color]

[quote=“tech admin”]To subscribe to a list, do the following:

1. Decide which lists you want to join

2. Send an e-mail message to majordomo (at) forumosa.info (let me make sure you read that right: forumosa-dot-INFO not forumosa-dot-COM)

3. In the body of your message, type a subscribe command like so:

[code]subscribe

Example: subscribe open[/code]

1. Watch out for a subscription confirmation to be sent to your Inbox

2. See the e-mail alerts roll in!

Please note:[ul][li]Alerts can be sent anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes after they are posted on the websites – so if you visit this website on a regular basis, this feature is not for you![/li]
[li]Only original input text is e-mailed, not edited text. Do not be surprised is the author of a post edited their post – thus making it different from the one you receive in your inbox[/li][/ul]

To unsubscribe, you can follow the same process: just change the word subscribe to UNsubscribe

[color=darkred]IMPORTANT: Please do not write directly to the mailing list. The list is password protected, so only the forum software is supposed to be able to send messages for distribution. If we believe you are spamming the list – we will take whatever actions necessary to stop you (we’ll ask nicely first :wink:), and then ask questions later. Mailing list abuse is an offense that I would bring up with the Star Chamber

We encourage you to offer positive commercial services to the Forumosa.com community in the appropriate forums, events and web banners. Writing directly to the forumosa.info mailing is NOT APPROPRIATE.[/color][/quote]

Ya…right…

This much I get.

ToeTechnoWaffles

Wow…NOW I am listening to The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky…don’t think so…

That’s better…NOW I am listening to One Night in Bangkok, which is where I wish I was NOW.

I’ll post up a subscription form so that there is a web-based way to subscribe.

In the meantime, try to send a message to majordomo (at) forumosa.info with the word “lists”.

Here is a web-based way to subscribe and unsubscribe to the various forum mailing lists:

forumosa.com/taiwan/notifications.php

Cheers!

test

So, has the feature been discontinued that used to send emails on topics that we were “following”? In other words, is there a way to get the old service if the new service is more than we want?

No, the feature will not be discontinued.

In the new service, you will receive the full text of the message. So only subscribe to notification of forums that you do not watch or participate in very much

If you set up forum notifications, you can avoid this problem:

:slight_smile:

How do you unsubscribe to one or two?

After successfully subscribing more than one address for notifications, I’ve found that the following notification lists are not receiving any traffic: Living in Taiwan, and Business & Money. It also appears these are also not working, though I’ve done fewer tests: Volunteer, For Hire, Housing, and Teaching English.

The quickest way is to go to http://forumosa.com/taiwan/notifications.php

Thank you for checking these out, and especially for subscribing! :slight_smile:
I’ve tested them out just now. You are right about Living in Taiwan – the Moderator notifications were switched off for that list for some reason. However, for the other 5 forums you mentioned, the notifications seem to be working fine.

These notification mailing lists reside on another server, called forumosa.info , because our new web host has warned me that they do not want us to install the majordomo software package.

forumosa.info resides on a cheaper service called 8-95.com – it actually costs US$ 8.95 for 6 months of hosting! Forumosa.com will reside on ServerBeach.com – the poor cousin of Rackspace.com (the apparent industry leader in managed hosting). ServerBeach will cost us about US$99 a month (or over 66x more expensive than 8-95.com)

Service on 8-95.com is not known to be as good as ServerBeach. But I figure that it’s worth setting up there if we only use it for the e-mail lists (remember, ServerBeach does not like Majordomo)

I’ve noticed that notifications that go via forumosa.info (8-95.com) can take from a few seconds to 30 minutes. Usually it seems to take a few seconds, but I’ve seen some doozies

Also, the majordomo lists that I have set up on forumosa.info are password protected. So you cannot (err, well you’re not supposed to be able to) successfully distribute your message directly to those lists

I hope this clarifieds things.

Please keep sending in those bug reports. I really appreciate them

Looks good now. Those other forums don’t seem to get enough traffic, so I thought they were broken too. :blush:

This is why the forum notifications would be great for them :slight_smile:

Since the server move, I haven’t received any:

• notifications on threads I’m watching
  • notifications on the forums I’ve subscribed to
  • notifications on new PMs
  • emails sent through Forumosa.

Gus: Am I right to assume that this is connected to what you’ve pointed out in [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/e-mail-goose-egg-gmail-to-activate-forumosa-registration/12714/1 thread[/url]?

Iris

Yes, you are right. E-mail capability has not yet been set for our server.

Someone must have done something just now. I’ve just started receiving the notification emails again. Yay.

Yehey! For this one, say thank you to Feiren :notworthy:

Fantastic!

g.