Where to meet a girlfriend?

Jacked-up lifters not really the aesthetic TW women go for. So all this lifiting advice probably more fit for some US demographics.

But, yes agree that you need to project an active lifestyle, be doing stuff, having real interests other than shopping and sleeping. Which is not hard, with some many TW men AND women having rather boring lifestyles.

1 Like

Stop looking and let them find you ā€¦look for subtle signs of interest around you

Or look online most of us have too small social circles and we may not find a partner in our orbit

Gotta look outside the solar system so to speak

Who is TL? That makes three wankers you say?

@Taiwan_Luthiers

Ah well we all have handicaps of one sort or another
His is not being in the USA
Mine is not being in Taiwan

(Plus I have another huge handicap to dating now ā€¦.Iā€™m married). And itā€™s overall quite nice to be married to my wife

Plus I think TL interest is in men therefore
he may actually find more solace in the ladies
Forum ?

Overall the shape your wallet is in is more
Important than your own shape to most tw ladies

Maybe most ladies in general

Most girls have guys for fwb fun and another tpye of guys who sponsors them. Up to you in which group you want to be

I can swing both ways but honestly Iā€™m finding men more emotionally attractive.

Most women I find out there are very boring, especially Taiwanese ones. Plus they seem to be control freaks (not all, but seems like a common thread among foreign men here). Iā€™m sure Western women are like this too but honestly apart from looks I found it very hard to emotionally confide with most women for some reason. Perhaps because I have a sister who was a terrible control freak when I lived with her and it made me think most women are like that.

Problem is itā€™s very hard for me to tell whoā€™s gay or even swings both way, and most men in Taiwan are boring too, and 99% of foreign men here are not gay.

I think the major problem for me is being unable to find anything in common with 99.999% of the people both in Taiwan and in the US, but at least in the US there are the 0.001% who are relatively easy to find. In fact itā€™s not hard to find sexual partners in the US for me but in Taiwan itā€™s downright impossible. Taiwan is huge on conformity and so being ā€œweirdā€ basically gets you excluded by the ā€œleaderā€ of the pack. And Taiwanese people have a pack mentality.

I guess Iā€™ve come to realize that many women uses sex as a weapon to force compliance out of men, and I refuse to give them that power.

2 Likes

I heard that joke many years ago on the radio, but it was only 5 years and it was the difference between a new job and a new wife. :grinning:

2 Likes

I would say most women in general, but of course everyone is unique. Success at what you do and confidence in how you carry yourself are a lot more attractive than looks.

I feel you man, but the issue is that most people are non-confrontational. They would rather die than tell you to your face that you have body odor problems or halitosis. Let alone something as abstract as ā€œoverall demeanorā€. It is often due to the fact that people (and iā€™m not saying you, because I do not know you at all) that usually seek that advice (that I usually more than happily offer once I get to befriend the person) go insanely on the defensive, as if they werenā€™t the one asking for feedback in the first place. And I totally understand that. One of my closer relatives does that all the time to me, to which iā€™m actually quite thankful, but it will always be as grating as the first time they did.

And you donā€™t even need to be an a-hole about it. You just need to look like the criticism youā€™ve been given hurt you. Because people donā€™t wanna hurt people. It sucks to see someone blush in shame because they had that salad stuck in their mouth since lunch time but youā€™re the only one who pointed it out after a full day of work. So you donā€™t point it out and pretend itā€™s alright. Which perpetuates the vicious cycle.

Maybe if you openly show to whatever friends you have that youā€™re not only open for criticism but will actually take it in a positive way, maybe that will help.

Sometimes (actually most of the time, but Iā€™m guessing you donā€™t see it because most folks constantly act hostile with you so you assume something is wrong with you when itā€™s not the case)people are just asses. They donā€™t want to hear your story, theyā€™re just here to borrow a ciggie (yet never happen to have one on them in a country where the packet costs 5 goddamn bucks), they donā€™t want to talk to you because of reasons as stupid as racism or they just donā€™t like your face. You canā€™t do anything about those people and neither should you. But Iā€™m sure you have one or two pals, focus on them rather.

2 Likes

I think if you start with working on making one person like you you can work on more

That one person is you

You have to like you first

Work on that first

Lift yourself up rather than down

Take yourself out and feel good to be you

I was the opposite I thought I was the best thing since sliced bread

Gradually realized I ainā€™t shit but I ainā€™t the best at everything lol

Itā€™s ok I still like me and you have to like you

Work on that

And honestly itā€™s not that hard you donā€™t need to have six billion people or is that 8 billion now like you

Just the people who matter
And if they donā€™t like you
They donā€™t matter

1 Like

Anytime someone asks about meeting a gf/bf, people talk about how you have to like yourself first, have hobbies, etc etc.

• I know Iā€™m awesome
  • I have hobbies
  • Iā€™m more interesting than most people, generally
  • Iā€™m kinda rich :man_shrugging:. It only attracts the ladies if you flaunt it, and then itā€™s the wrong type of ladies

Yet Iā€™ve been actively trying to date for 4 years and have come up empty.

But I know I have weaknesses as well:

• Iā€™m skinny. I stopped working out once I got to to TW a year ago, but I did put on 15 pounds in the two years of working out before that. Itā€™s just incredibly hard to gain and maintain weight with all of my dietary restrictions. I also lost 5 pounds after moving here. Realistically it would take me probably 4 more years to reach my goal weight (150), and I donā€™t think itā€™s even feasible.
  • I only meet people through apps. I did lots of social stuff before moving here (before Covid), but never met anyone I liked. Multiple sports leagues etc. I think Iā€™d have better odds here, because the ratio of attractive women is way higher, but thereā€™s also much fewer opportunities for those sorts of things, at least that I know of. Thereā€™s not a lot on Meetup.com or FB groups. (Anything not on those is probably not English-friendly.)
1 Like

Not speaking the language is a major hurdle in Taiwan unless you are in school either teaching or a student where at least many around you can speak your language

I believe that real world meeting people will help you get more data and process data faster

Hope
I explain this right

Online you have to type usually to chat and that takes a lot of time and the info that you receive and put out is like using Morse code from
Ship to ship
While you continue to figure each other out online

And it literally can take years to be acquainted with each other at a more meaningful level

Whereas in person you receive a lot of data
About a person quickly at least physically

So first you both have to click physically and break the ice and talk

But a lot of data about the two of you can be exchanged not just in what you say but how you say it and body language

If this conversation keeps going the chances of it becoming more meaningful quickly is possible

Much harder to get to this same level of mutual understanding online as quicky

So you have to get out there and meet people in real life

If I was meeting someone online Iā€™d likke to take it to the real world quickly if possible

Not possible if the person is far away though

1 Like

You have actively tried to date for four years and have come up empty

this can happen for many reasons

There are many factors

Anyone of these or more could be the reason

You are among the wrong demographic

The people around you are not your peers either in age or ethnicity

You may be surrounded by people that wouldnā€™t easily choose to date you because of age difference or you are not a preferred ethnicity to that group

So age and ethnicity could be at play here

Or another reason may be you are not really trying
You are not putting out vibes that show you are open to approach and you also do not approach people enough or at all

You expect the ideal someone to just come and talk to you.

This is unrealistic

Body language is important and how you carry yourself snd dress . your appearance and posture can say a lot about whether you are approachable and whether you are worth approaching

Or you are just fishing at the wrong spots

I donā€™t approach strangers randomly.

Iā€™m kinda socially awkward when thereā€™s not some sort of established understanding that weā€™re gathering with the intent to meet people. Whether an arranged date from online or a social event like a Meetup

I do have higher standards than most guys I know

Online dating sucks but :man_shrugging:
Been on quite a few first dates, met some girls interested in me, but I didnā€™t feel the same way

Thereā€™s been a couple I did like and seem to click with, but then they flaked / werenā€™t interested

As they say if you keep doing something one way itā€™s not realistic to expect different results without something changing

Trying to help here .

You took online girls to real life fast but either they were not physically attracted to you or you to them

Not just physically but you didnā€™t vibe
And this may be you didnā€™t have a strong enough connection personality wise to overcome the lack of physical attraction before meeting

So you met too soon without the emotional connection firmly established

And you wonā€™t approach women out in the wild

I can say for sure that the ladies I approached in the wild would not have approached me if I didnā€™t approach them so that would have been a lost opportunity

If you donā€™t want to approach them you can only rely on being approached

This can happen but we are still in a society where men are expected to approach more so than women

At least in Taiwan

1 Like

I actually had a beautiful girl approach me the other day, but I was hours from home, so it didnā€™t really matter. And thatā€™s super rare.

With online dating, you canā€™t really build much attraction before meeting because most girls have too many messages and just donā€™t bother communicating worth a damn. So you have to ask them out fairly quick before they end up ghosting. And they put almost no effort into the conversation from their side.

But yeah I have tried different things, so as not to keep doing the same and expect different results. Previously I lived in a small town, had never dated ever, moved to a large city in the US, and had a gf within a few months. Met online, before online was as crappy as it is now.

After we broke up, I tried online again, then lots of social events (Meetup), then speed dating quite a few times, then sports leagues, then finally moving halfway around the world. Not all in the name of finding a gf of course - just enjoying my life - but that also came to mind.

1 Like

I agree, not sure how much online dating Tommy has done in Taiwan lately, but I prefer to get them to meet ASAP for a variety of reasons including the ones you mentioned

1 Like