Where to meet a girlfriend?

Seriously, @tommy525, you should write a book. Uncle tommy’s sage advice could be of great value to a whole bunch of pimply teenagers driving the wrong way down the six-lane freeway of girlfriend-related issues.

2 Likes

Nah life is to be lived and experienced warts and all

1 Like

Is “language exchange” not used for meeting potential partners anymore?

I guess all those single woman have moved to Tinder.

2 Likes

I once looked for a Chinese Tutor online. No language exchanges for me and no female tutors because it was basically going on a date. Wasn’t single.

So a guy teacher replied to me and said we should meet at a coffee shop for a trial lesson.

We chat and then at the end, I ask him about schedule and pricing. Location etc.

Free.

What? Free? Oh you want a language exchange? I just want a tutor.

No, I will teach you for free. I don’t need English lessons. I like you so want to help you.

Wow……Ok…where?

Class will be at my house. It is quieter. We can drink tea or whiskey ha ha ha ha.

Ok…………when?

Saturday, then you can stay late because no work the next day.

Even when you look for a tutor, get one who is the same sex and explain that you have a gf, it still becomes a date.

8 Likes

Apparently, that @BigDave magic is irresistible. :sweat_smile:

And that is how I met your second father.

2 Likes

You were taking Chinese lessons from a cow? That could explain a lot.

It still is. I met my girlfriend that way

Where can I get language exchange with this guy?

3 Likes

How long ago was that? And was it obvious from the start that she looking to exchange more than “language”?

I was always amused when a language exchange advert included a list of hobbies, a full length body shot, and “I’m single”.

3 Likes

See for me I guess I just don’t want to bother people. So if a beautiful girl chooses to sit next to me, I’m going to figure she did so with the hope that I not talk to her just because she’s pretty.

Probably a dumb way to think but I can’t help it ha

Language exchange is used by taiwanese girls as a way to date men without being obvious about and also giving them the freedom to reject or pass by saying “i just wanted language exchange” if the guy isnt their type. This way they get a lot of freedom to meet and sort men without any added pressure and can reject men without being questioned in return. Taiwanese wants to avoid confrontation at any cost and that applies to dating too.

3 Likes

Well just think what would have happened if you talked to her

Maybe she was hoping you would bother her

Well the human race isn’t made by people who don’t want to bother other people

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

In Taiwan unless you speak proper mandarin ,talking to random girls isnt a good idea. yes, it can work but if you cant speak mandarin then you are going with assumption that the girl speaks good english and would be okay having a conversation. Otherwise it would just be a very awkward experience. Although depends on area where you are meeting the girl ig.

2 Likes

I bumped into her at the Coco Cabana Down in Cuban town in little Havana I asked her her name , she said Juanita I just had to ask cuz I just had to meet her

1 Like

It was 2019 that we met. I think not that long ago, but I guess COVID may have changed things.

Not obvious to me. But I’m a little oblivious. I really spent each time teaching English until she finally suggested real dates and I figured it out :joy:.

1 Like

I am a third culture kid.

I have “language exchange” as a “passion” on Tinder, not working for me :pensive:

1 Like

Are you using free version? For me who is just average looking, i have to pay for plus and that increases your chances a lot and use super likes which even increases your chances and try to swipe on girls which are also average. Dont try hot and sexy ones unless you are like really handsome, hot and tall which if you are then you dont even need to try much. I got some matches that way. But mind you, most girls would still either just say Hi, or talk a bit and then dissapear. So its like subset of subset of subset that leads to a date

1 Like

I tried paid version in canada before i came, so that i could swipe Taiwanese girls. Overall, i found it wasn’t helpful, 2 months i used it. The paid option did let me see that all the girls liking me were not my cuppa

Now I’m using multiple apps to hedge my bets. I’m good looking enough that when i was up in Taipei recently i got LOTS of likes and matches. More in a day than i get down here in a week. I think the major problem now is my location

1 Like