Where to meet a girlfriend?

Don’t know how active it is, but I found this on Facebook

Seems like a pretty good place to meet people for single folks. I remember what I was like to be a single foreigner here. Events made it easier (though I met my girlfriend from work and started dating when she asked me to do language exchange with her :laughing:)

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve ever watched a girl go on tinder, but they are extremely picky about it. It’s usually a lot of left swiping. Occasionally they will pause when they see a man they like. Then they will scrutinize the pictures looking for clues on what kind of man he is, there are tons of assumptions most men would never even think about. Then they look at bio and then right swipe. If at any point when they slow down to look they see something they don’t like at all they will immediately left swipe and go back to swiping.

If you play the tinder game you gotta really pay attention to your pictures. They can’t just make you look good, they have to tell a story about who you are. If you want high quality matches at least. That’s what I think based on my observations.

But disclaimer, I’ve had a girlfriend since 2019 so all of this happened before then. It’s likely some things have changed especially after covid.

The best way to meet women I’m willing to bet is the old fashioned way.

2 Likes

Yeah, did that

What’s that, in Taiwan?

By going up to a girl you like and starting a conversation, flirting and meeting up for a date later.

It’s possible that the pictures aren’t saying what you think they are saying then. Also the girls can see you’re very far away so that’s likely a big factor as well. At least they could back when I used it

There’s a selling point. Not so good looking that they’ll get jealous. Genius!

1 Like

I’ve been given mixed advice on this from Taiwanese people, most have said don’t do it. Anyways, I’m open to trying if the occssion presents itself. Have tried a few times with girls sitting at the bar but so far no luck beyond a little pleasant chatting

Might be overselling myself, might be lots of things. Anyways, as I said the response up north was several times better, so I’m leaning towards the problem isn’t the pictures…

I’m in Kaohsiung now and keep to a 30km radius. As i said above, several times now, i think location is the big problem. Because, when i change location, the problem goes away…

1 Like

Can’t take credit, mostly the result of age and not any deliberate decision or action…

My advice is to acknowledge the behavior is out if the ordinary because nowadays people don’t usually do this anymore. Less in America too. Just say something like “I know this random but I thought you were really cute and wanted to say hi” or something like that. Obviously it shouldn’t be the sane thing everytime but if you can’t think of anything to say this is a pretty good idea because 1 it’s true and 2 it makes it clear why you are talking to her. I think it’s better to be upfront about why you are trying to talk to the girl. Even if it’s obvious, spelling it out like that can be useful.

Hey I mean it could be true. I actually haven’t ever gone to the Southside. It’s possible there’s 1. Less girls using the app down there and 2. The girls there look for different things. From what I understand, Taipei and Taichung are more international in general as well. Possibly a factor, though if there are less foreigners around that’s usually a good thing since you’ll seem more exotic.

Basically, I think tinder is more work than it’s worth to meeting people.

Didn’t you say your girlfriend is a colleague that basically threw herself at you? Because it doesn’t get much easier than that. Sadly, and for a variery of overlapping and interconnected reasons, some of us have to put in the work. Good for you, though, and thanks for the advice

2 Likes

Yeah that’s how I met my girlfriend. Good luck man! Hope things turn around for you

2 Likes

You put the dog in dogmatic!

5 Likes

If you have likes on tinder then you have nothing to worry about. I dont even get likes haha. You just need to broaden search radius and if nothing wroks, last attempt could be to make monthly weekend trips to taipei, get matched, find some girls, exchange line, go back to your home and then stay in touch. Dont try that “go to random girls and talk” unless you arre absolutely sure they can speak good enough english or u can speak good enough chinese.

Arranged marriage
:drum:

4 Likes

I’m not worried, just chiming in. It hasnt been s year of nothing, just not seeing an ocean of great options. Such is life

My chinese is good enough to chat and flirt a bit, but personally i need some signal that there is some interest before i jump in.

Broader radius isnt an option right now, i tried long distance to Taichung for a few months and dint have the time/money/energy for that again for a while. Unless another amazing girl falls into my lap, but that one will be tough to top

2 Likes

What age are you? You may find you are too young for Dating in Taiwan. From my wife’s friends, it seems as if dating isn’t considered until late 20s. Before that they may just want friends or something casual.

2 Likes

Dating these days looks like it really sucks, not in a good way lol.
Even the old language exchange date was better than that tinder crap.

4 Likes

Basic point in Taiwan is. If you are a handsome tall, good looking man, then you will get girls . Period. Nothing else matters. Personality and all that crap is secondary. doesnt work in asia. Maybe this year is just unlucky but hey its covid year so look at that way. You will have plenty of action soon .

Yeah, i kinda wish I’d been here in my 30s. So being in my 20s isnt the issue. My age range for matches is 24 to 42

It isnt just about getting girls, it is meeting enough possibilities to find a spark

I’m not here to brag, but I’ve had some success over the years in a variety of asia countries, and not because I’m tall. Yeah, someti.es it helps to be a foreigner bit I’m not getting that vibe on K-town

No doubt luck and covid are factors

I’m not here to discuss the amount of action i am or am not getting. I will say that ideally something more than a little action would be nice

I’m not complaining, I’m commiserating. Whoever bumped this thread isn’t alone, it’s tough out there (or at least, down here, but I’m not moving to Taipei so i can get more dates)

3 Likes

I’ve had much better luck in the states than here. Taiwan is like a wasteland for me.