Where's the best Malaysian or Singaporean food?

Oh jesus, don’t get me started.

A som tam thai and some khao niao. Gai yang, or some laab bpet

1 Like

You ever go to that restaurant in Bangkok where they recreated a Laos village setting, complete with the band of old guys playing traditional music, no air-con, and serving only traditional Laos food, grasshoppers and grubs et. al?

I draw the line at insects lol. No where is it? Never been to Laos but it’s on my list.

Some alley off of Sukhumvit :upside_down_face: I doubt it’s still there. One of the great dining experiences of my life, but cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

Food in China is more exciting than Taiwan. Sichuan, Hunan, Cantonese, Xinjiang etc are much more varied and exciting than food in Taiwan. Only problem is cleanliness.

Malaysian Chinese food is great as well.

Taiwan food is some of the most boring variations of Chinese food. There is some good stuff and I dont get bored of 熱炒 and 鹽水雞, but Taiwanese food doesnt excite me that much. Especially compared to food in China and South East Asia. Apart from Philippines. I prefer Taiwan food to Filipino food.

2 Likes

Next time i am asked for a laksa recipe, that will be my answer.

There are some good Indonesian restaurants (Padang and Jawa cuisines) at the northern end of the Taipei Underground Mall (left aisle, right side as you’re walking northward).

Definitely give those a try if you’re into Malaysian and Singaporean food, especially Malay food. Indonesian food is really similar.

2 Likes

I went there last month and the Indonesian places all looked and smelled authentic and were frequented almost entirely by Muslims (which lead me to believe that they like it). The place I tried seemed authentic to me, but I’ve only spent a few weeks in Indonesia, so I am not an expert.

The Taipei Underground Mall runs in the east-west direction (under Civic Boulevard). How does one walk northward?

1 Like

If it’s the place I’m thinking about, it’s at the westernmost part of the mall. Walk past the video game and toy shops, past all the other restaurants, and they’re on the right side of the left branch (northern wall of the southern walkway).

1 Like

the taiwan flavour is rather paired down, but you are comparing the wrong things. you purposely chose the most boring every day taiwanese dishes. you should be comparing vietnam dry noodles to dry beef noodles, ect. those countrys also have their bland boring every day dishes. i had some noodle soup in thailand that was hardly different to what i’ve had in taiwan.

1 Like

Maybe so, but my point still stands. The most average street food, in say Thailand, shits all over almost all Taiwanese street food. Noodle soup in Thailand is basically Chinese food. I wouldn’t go near it. Curry all the way.

And with that I’m off the airport right now bound for Luang Prabang via CM. Yippee!

8 Likes

Beautifully put :+1:

I just cannot agree. I often visit major Chinese cities and in general I just don’t like their food. It’s not fresh and they often use far too much salt. If it’s actually hot it’s a bonus . Food quality… terrible. That said you get plenty of exceptions and some regional cuisines are excellent.

God and the food in Chinese airports and train stations. Disgusting. It doesn’t even come within 10% of what you can get in Taiwan.

Not compared to Taiwan it’s not. It’s not as varied and sometimes watered down taste.
My Malaysian Chinese colleague dreams about lu ruo fan hah.
I’ve had lu wei in Malaysia and it was pretty crappy compared to Taiwan . But liang mien was better there. And you’d never find a rechao or dumpling or Chinese breakfast shop of the same quality of Taiwan in Malaysia. In fact around the world you won’t find them.

Also while I certainly enjoy Malaysia cornershop cafes and Chinese restaurants and their Indian food options their hygiene standards are even worse than Taiwan. And all their drinks are full of sugar.

i don’t see that at all. the best food i had in thailand was some posh restaurant. that was pretty remarkable. the street food was good but it wasn’t as good as in taiwan, and there wasn’t as much of it. simple as that. i liked the streetfood in vietnam better than thailand.

i like chinese food but from my experience its saltier, oilier and spicier than taiwanese. less veg and meat too. i’ve had some great stuff there but also some dodgy stuff, hit and miss.

I love food in China. In normal Sichuan restaurant not in airports or those ornate banquet places

Again don’t agree. The Malaysia kuai Chao seafood places have stronger and more interesting flavors. That’s what I like though

Can’t agree :grin:…Do not compare well to rechao places in Taiwan. I’ve been to their famous rechao street in KL a couple of times. Nothing notable.

1 Like