White people cop an attitude

Scooter, you don’t realize who Flicka is, do you? He’s actually someone you know!
:slight_smile:

Btw, some foreign fooolks are very friendly. I met a batch of them last weekend out here on Lotus Hill. They were of various nationalities: South African, French, Russian, American, Spanish, Canadian, etc. They were super nice. There are one or two whities living out here (and Indians) who’re less than friendly when they see other foreigners, however. And they happen to be rather unappealing middle aged men, so no big whoop, but I just don’t get the whole ‘I’m not looking at you or nodding to you because you’re a white woman’ thing. It’s too bizarre and something I’ll never understand since I grew up in the south (I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again) and my mother raised me to be cordial…uh, although I’m not all the time!! :smiley:

Just because you are a foreigner I should say hi, run up and give you a big hug, is that it?

Heck, I wouldn’t say hi to every stranger on the street back home and I’m not about to start doing it here. Ok, a smile, a nod, a friendly gesture, that’s about it. Calling it an attitude, PLEASE (I mean please -lower case).

Sure I talk to people that I’d like want to talk to, you know, the same kind of people that I’d want to talk with back home. Otherwise, please don’t cop an attitude if I don’t get all warm and fuzzy with ya.

[quote=“Bassman”]Just because you are a foreigner I should say hi, run up and give you a big hug, is that it?

Heck, I wouldn’t say hi to every stranger on the street back home and I’m not about to start doing it here. Ok, a smile, a nod, a friendly gesture, that’s about it. Calling it an attitude, PLEASE (I mean please -lower case).

Sure I talk to people that I’d like want to talk to, you know, the same kind of people that I’d want to talk with back home. Otherwise, please don’t cop an attitude if I don’t get all warm and fuzzy with ya.[/quote]

I agree…just because we are both foreigners doesn’t mean I’m gonna run up and give you a wet, sloppy lick on the ear.

i wasn’t really hoping for a kiss… but hmm pucker up butter cup

Aww…is it me, Mr. He? :wink:

As for being ignored by foreigners, getshotstabbed, do you honestly think that because you are non-Asian you deserve special recognition just for being out on the street? There’s not some secret waiguoren club where we all wink and do the special signal to announce ourselves to each other. I’d hate to be the bubble burster, but being different-looking in a city of 3 million people isn’t grounds for being singled out by others. Trust me, if you are looking for a pat on the back because you are a foreigner you’d better start working on making your arms really flexible because you aren’t going to get one from anyone else.

[quote=“Darkchild”]Incidentally Angels being white in color is another tool of the Whiteman to make everybody else feel inferior just like the cowboy with the “white hat,” “The Black Knight” is the bad guy." "The Black sheep in the family"etc.

So,bad analogy and,dumb ass joke too…[/quote]

Psst…I’ve been on here for a while. The angry cynical black person thing just isn’t kosher and is in fact a bit annoying. Getshotstabbed wasn’t referring to race. Mr. He isn’t being racist. And you need to relax a bit.

Yeah, right, cute licks and kisses, ha ha…lovely sentiment.
But you don’t need to be a rude friggen putz! Foreigners stand out a lot more in this part of the world, and perhaps in other parts of the world that are likewise homogeneous.
I wonder if Fred Smith is being snubbed by other blondes as he wanders the streets of Muscat.

Things are getting really weird around here coz actually ImaniOU I reckon Dark Child made a valid point. I think it’s worthwhile to remind folks about colour and the little weird bits that hide in seemingly meaningless phrases. But I do agree, Black Child, chill. Put some decent tunes on and chill. Get into the Song game thread awhile. I’m sure you’d speed that along a tad.

HG

Being snubbed socially provokes exactly the same brain response as being physically hurt, say US researchers.

[quote]The researchers wrote: “Evidence suggests that some of the same neural machinery recruited in the experience of pain may also be associated with social separation or rejection.”

Powerful feelings

Dr Jaak Panksepp, from the Centre for Neuroscience, Mind and Behavior at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, said that feelings of social exclusion were powerful instincts in animals and humans.

He said: "The feelings induced by experimental games in the laboratory, are a pale shadow of the real-life feelings that humans and other animals experience in response to the sudden loss of social support.

"Psychological pain in humans, especially grief and intense loneliness, may share some of the same neural pathways that elaborate physical pain.

“Given the dependence of mammalian young on their caregivers, it is hard not to comprehend the strong survival value conferred by common neural pathways that elaborate both social attachment and the affective qualities of physical pain.” [/quote]

Formosa temporarily possessed me and sends the following message:

"People:

sTop: copping an attitude

sTarT: busting a move"

Transmission out.

You know, like lots of white people, I’ve sometimes wished I were black or some other ethnic minority so that I could have a socially acceptable excuse for my angry-young-man angst. If you’re white and are angry at society and your life is fucked up, you’re just a “pathetic overprivileged whiner.” But if you’re black, even if you do indeed come from a privileged middle-class background as many black people these days do, your anger and angst are justifiably righteous rage at a racist society (even if you personally have rarely encountered much racism against you in your life). I mean, life is fucked up for everybody - the majority of men “lead lives of quiet desperation.” Wouldn’t it be neat to declare yourself an oppressed minority and thus be able to bitch & whine about how miserable things are and get away with it? It’s very American trick to pull - there are more oppressed minority groups in modern America than there are majority-just-regular-non-hyphenated Americans, because everybody wants to jump in and grab a piece of the Oppressed Class Pie. Nobody wants to be perceived as a member of the privileged class. Nobody wants to be seen as normal folks whose troubles are the fault of their own and not society’s fault, not anymore. There hasn’t been any serious discrimination or bigotry in American society against Irish, Italians, or Jews in over half a century, but plenty of those Americans walk around with the Oppressed Minority ™ chips on their collective shoulders - feeling sorry for yourself is a hard habit to let go. For many black Americans, anger is the default mode of expression - everything that goes wrong in their life can somehow tenously be tied to societal oppression. If you’re a white guy who beats his wife and gets drunk every night, you’re just a loser. If you’re a black guy who beats his wife and gets drunk every night, you’re a symbol of urban oppression. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in contrasting my dealings with Taiwanese and Westerners, it’s that we in the West come from a Complaint Culture - we love to whine, moan, and bitch, it’s our national sport. No matter how good our lives are and have been, we’ll whine about how the town we grew up in was full of rednecks, our parents were dysfunctional, our last relationship fell apart because we’re dysfunctional and it’s not our fault because we were fucked up by our parents and society, our boss is a jerk and the job is so stressing, some random guy on the bus looked at us funny and it like totally ruined our day, etc.

Aww…is it me, Mr. He? :wink:

[/quote]

Yes. One thing people tend to ignore is that we are all in the same boat here. I don’t ignore anyone where I live, as I don’t have the luxury to do so. (Remember where I live anyone?). Moreover, I will still not go out of my way to say hello to anyone… Unless they look lost… or live in the same community as me.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Things are getting really weird around here coz actually ImaniOU I reckon Dark Child made a valid point. I think it’s worthwhile to remind folks about colour and the little weird bits that hide in seemingly meaningless phrases. But I do agree, Black Child, chill. Put some decent tunes on and chill. Get into the Song game thread awhile. I’m sure you’d speed that along a tad.

HG[/quote]

Then he or she should spin off their own thread ranting about racism in the English language. Not on one about the way foreigners treat one another. It might be an interesting thread if it wasn’t tired, recycled material. At least comedians make the same material darkchild espoused here funny.

I say hi to people who look lost, in need of help, or just a friendly face although I have gotten snide comments or rude responses more often than not, especially around Tienmu and some foreign wankers ignored my mother when she was trying to ask for help and made her upset.
Don’t let me catch you. :imp:

Some people that I have just said hi to on the street have become my friends…including Iris. But it’s by far not a thing that I do with random people, but rather with people with whom I think I have something in common. I went through the same thing in university during multicultural week at freshmen orientation where we were told flat out that we were to say hi to any another black or hispanic person we saw on campus because we were the minority there. It was the last thing I had to do with the “multicultural” groups (that had nothing to do with anyone who wasn’t black, hispanic, or native american, ergo, not very multi-cultured) at my school who ironically gave the hispanic and native american freshmen the hispanic advisors…segregating the minorities from each other. I don’t believe that skin color alone should be a deciding factor for who one associates with. Yes, language plays a big factor because most people like to talk to their friends, but saying hi to every foreigner on the street is rather…well, shallow or naive depending on your motivation. Expecting everyone to say hi to you is the same.

well fatties… I don’t want any special treatment(well thats a complete lie but…)my original point was that I feel people go out of there way to avoid coming into contact with you, not that we form some special brotherhood like romper stomper, but i will bite your ear like chomper, i love you all peace and blessigns fatties

Gethurt wrote:

Who gets to slip the Nazi youth blade into your neck?
:wink:

ImaniOU

Point taken.

Cheers.

HG

maybe i’ll take the rantings of gg allin to test, and do it myself at the next formosa ball room dancing pub tonight twinkle toes

Sounds like a good idea. I’ll happily buy you a beer if I’m there.

maybe if someone poors it down my throat while i stab myself it will poor out my throat into a girls mouth… actualyl yuck… anyone ever watch the documentry on gg allin? i never but i sure read some of his lyrics

I knew GG Allin. GG Allin pooped on my friend. You, sir, are no GG Allin.

is getshotstabbed formosa reincarnated? Anybody want to check on the date of formosa’s disappearance and gss’s appearance?