Who does Forumosa target: men only, or everyone?

The whole thing is a men’s forum. There are only about five female posters. That’s ok, expat women aren’t the site’s target demographic, I’m assuming.

With the rising economic capability of women, in a few parts of the world anyway, it’s not surprising that they use their new power to get sex. Not judging (that much…). As with all human relationships, there is an order, going back however long.

Laziness is the problem. Anyone who would rather fuck unattractive (in the broadest sense of the word) people than do an honest day’s work is never going to get much respect from me, and people who take short-cuts to becoming ‘attractive’ (waving money around) also doesn’t get much respect either. I’m not judging whores and their clients, but both should grow up and stop trying to take short cuts.

Wash dishes for a living. Become more interesting. Don’t be lame by exploiting stupid people richer/poorer than yourself.

AFAIK males/men are not specifially targeted and any female/women can sign up and join, so your assumption seems wrong (though males are in the majority I don’t think that this is based on intent). If you want to start a thread about ‘Slow witted, ugly white men go to Asia for sex tourism’ go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

Actually I don’t understand your constant “criticism” about certain topics, if you don’t like it just don’t read it. And if you think that those topics are representative of all of f.com there is always the choice not to open the website at all. (no offense intended)

It wasn’t a criticism. I’m not saying forumosa ‘should’ be anything. However, ignoring things that are unpalatable or offensive such as sexism and racism isn’t really acceptable. I’m not really doing that in this thread, though. More like poking fun at the whole ‘sex tourist’ thing. Yes, any woman can sign up and join, but few stay long because the overall tone of the sight is sexist and mean, and any female posters who stick their heads above the parapet are mercilessly personally attacked. For the thinner skinned female poster, there is absolutely no incentive to post or even read.

Furthermore, I think that criticism is important. It’s how things move forward and change. If the only people who used forumosa were the ones who loved everything about it, then how would it grow?

If you want to have a private gang of boys who talk about how women from home are all bitter ugly harpies and how Taiwanese women are all crazy and materialistic, then a private gmail or facebook group might be in order, not a public website.

I did quit, completely, for about three months, but many people asked me to start posting again, and I confess that I had a little curiosity about whether the site had shifted in any way. But I’m an expat in Taiwan too, and I shouldn’t be driven off the site by boys who want to poke fun at women. It’s a privately-owned site but it is in the public domain. The users have a responsibility to not start juvenile and idiotic threads about breast size or ‘My Taiwanese girlfriend does X, is this normal?’.

My (long and extensively documented, I know… :wink: )disappointment with forumosa is that the offensive stuff is generally tolerated, it’s the dissent that is not. The ‘Buttercup’ shitfight is what is ‘offensive’, not the original post.

Yes, I’m rude sometimes, but I’ve never physically threatened anyone, made personal comments about anyone’s appearance, stalked anyone, put my hand on anyone’s arse, questioned anyone’s mental health, made personal comments about anyone’s sex life, etc, etc. All of these things have happened to me as aresult of forumosa. Sometimes these things have been dealt with, sometimes they haven’t. Maybe because I have been doubly aggressive back and neither tolerate it, nor leave.

This isn’t an attack against the mods or admins or even the posters, but simply an explanation of some of my motives.

Anyway, Rascal, you’re taking us off-topic. But guess who’s going to get temped?

I detect a bit of bitterness in your tone Buttercup (getting temped a bit?). For what its worth , I’m 100% in agreement. I love posting here for my own amusement, but the site has some growing up to do if it’s to reach the potential that it may be.

Damn Buttercup, last week you were the bee’s knees now you’re the sourpuss. Get with it girl. :laughing:

By the way, that post should be a classic post. IMO.

Not temped that much, compared with in the past.

Yeah, always bitter. Rolls eyes, smiley. See how it works? The message and the messenger are indivisible.

I’m not bitter, I’m very, very happy right now.

[quote=“Buttercup”]It wasn’t a criticism. I’m not saying forumosa ‘should’ be anything. However, ignoring things that are unpalatable or offensive such as sexism and racism isn’t really acceptable. I’m not really doing that in this thread, though. More like poking fun at the whole ‘sex tourist’ thing. Yes, any woman can sign up and join, but few stay long because the overall tone of the sight is sexist and mean, and any female posters who stick their heads above the parapet are mercilessly personally attacked. For the thinner skinned female poster, there is absolutely no incentive to post or even read.

Furthermore, I think that criticism is important. It’s how things move forward and change. If the only people who used forumosa were the ones who loved everything about it, then how would it grow?

If you want to have a private gang of boys who talk about how women from home are all bitter ugly harpies and how Taiwanese women are all crazy and materialistic, then a private gmail or facebook group might be in order, not a public website.

I did quit, completely, for about three months, but many people asked me to start posting again, and I confess that I had a little curiosity about whether the site had shifted in any way. But I’m an expat in Taiwan too, and I shouldn’t be driven off the site by boys who want to poke fun at women. It’s a privately-owned site but it is in the public domain. The users have a responsibility to not start juvenile and idiotic threads about breast size or ‘My Taiwanese girlfriend does X, is this normal?’.

My (long and extensively documented, I know… :wink: )disappointment with forumosa is that the offensive stuff is generally tolerated, it’s the dissent that is not. The ‘Buttercup’ shitfight is what is ‘offensive’, not the original post.

Yes, I’m rude sometimes, but I’ve never physically threatened anyone, made personal comments about anyone’s appearance, stalked anyone, put my hand on anyone’s arse, questioned anyone’s mental health, made personal comments about anyone’s sex life, etc, etc. All of these things have happened to me as aresult of forumosa. Sometimes these things have been dealt with, sometimes they haven’t. Maybe because I have been doubly aggressive back and neither tolerate it, nor leave.

This isn’t an attack against the mods or admins or even the posters, but simply an explanation of some of my motives.

Anyway, Rascal, you’re taking us off-topic. But guess who’s going to get temped?[/quote]
Your assumption about Forumosa’s target excluding women is wrong - actually its down right outrageous. If anything, there is a private Women’s forum because we specifically encourage women to participate in Forumosa. More can be done, and I believe the moderators and admins of the website are open to ideas and suggestions

Criticism is very welcome here. Always has been. But what you spout is unhelpful. It’s one thing to call out a problem - that’s easy. What would rank as truly Classic is providing ideas, alternatives, new perspectives. That is how we grow, not by merely saying “I don’t like this”.

Your response to all the vitriol is to fire back twice as hard? Not very interesting. “Be the change you want to see,” is what a wise man once said, right? And he managed to rock an empire and change the world. Give it a try sometime, it’s more fun

And, yes, this will get temped - or even better moved to the Feedback Forum where it belongs

It’s not forumosa’s fault. Computers target men mostly. Most computer forums, chatrooms, websites are male dominated.

Hey, that’s what I was going to say! Ultimately it’s the users who set the tone here. We can affect this a little, by tightening or easing up on the rules, but ultimately the site is a reflection of who we are, warts and all. For every Stray Dog, Irishstu and Mucha Man, there’s some jerk who likes the anonymity of the internet to indulge his mean streak. As long as people post within the scope of the rules, there’s not much we can do about it.

Oh, and we hope this site is for everyone interested in the international community in Taiwan, male or female, gay or straight, of whatever race, and whatever political persuasion.

But I am not making sexist posts. I can’t ‘be the change’. All I can do is call people on it.

The ‘be the change’ quote is getting old. It’s a way of encouraging mob rule under the guise of ‘empowering’ users, while retaining the yoke of leadership.

It’s not outrageous. I have spoken to many women who have stopped posting here. You only have the capacity to collect feedback from site users. I am able to hear feedback from non-users or ex-users of the site.

Just to reiterate, I am not accusing specific people of poor behaviour, I am stating that the pervading culture of the board is often unacceptable to women, and they vote with their feet, or whatever the online equivalent would be. I stand by that.

Please don’t feel the need to ‘defend’ the site. There’s no attack, here. It’s a collective responsibility to reject offensive ‘isms’, not for you or me to sort out.

do ‘computers’ target predominantly men, or is it the other way around: it is mostly men who are interested in computers.

secondly, to compound the issue, the number of men expats here vastly outnumbers the number of women expats here. (until you start looking at the local Phillipines community, which is probably not the demographic that forumosa is looking at.)

Fault any reason you like for the lack of female posters, but this is the only real explanation.

An odd statement given that it was a member of the local Filipino community who started Forumosa in the first place :wink:

Forumosa is a “big tent” and welcomes all of the international community. It has been this way from the start - and as Maoman implied, we plan to keep things this way

Whatever, I give up. :slight_smile:

(Thanks nama)

Baloney. Computers don’t target men. The reason why many computer forums (including Forumosa) are male-dominated is because of the quality of the discourse (heavy on preening, one-upmanship, and anonymous slandering) appeals to a lot more men than women. I don’t envy Buttercup being personally insulted when she posts to the Dating forum while plenty of other men who post a whole bunch of bollocks there are given a free pass.

In other areas of the Intenet, where the type of discourse is less male-oriented, women are much more prevalent. For instance, on Facebook, which is more about connecting with old friends and family instead of anonymously slagging people you disagree with, the membership is supposedly 2/3 female.

An odd statement given that it was a member of the local Filipino community who started Forumosa in the first place :wink: [/quote]

:laughing:

I dunno. I see a lot of bitching about the mosa and why can’t it be more this or that way, but frankly I think you just have to take it as it comes. Not your cup of tea, why loiter?

HG

Goose Egg wrote: [quote]“Be the change you want to see,”[/quote]

Not good advice. It will just encourage many male posters to be bigger knobs than than already are!

An odd statement given that it was a member of the local Filipino community who started Forumosa in the first place :wink: [/quote]

:laughing:

I dunno. I see a lot of bitching about the mosa and why can’t it be more this or that way, but frankly I think you just have to take it as it comes. Not your cup of tea, why loiter?

HG[/quote]

i have to agree…this nonsense about pitching to a demographic seems to presume that there is a marketing angle to this site…there isn’t…it just reflects the people who use it…and if that is mostly sad, middle-aged western men :sunglasses: …so be it…what buttercup should really do is set up a mirror site (for embittered western women stuck in asia :wink: )…call it femosa or summink…problem is there prolly aren’t enuff women here to get it off the ground…

Not true. I once asked if you’d like to be a moderator, and you declined. :idunno:

Not true. I once asked if you’d like to be a moderator, and you declined. :idunno:[/quote]

So how would being a moderator change people’s posting habits? Does it make people not be shitty? Of course not.

I don’t agree with some of the rules of the site so it would be unethical for me to be a mod, although it was kind of you to ask me.