Who does Forumosa target: men only, or everyone?

Not true. I once asked if you’d like to be a moderator, and you declined. :idunno:[/quote]
I don’t think it has to go to the extent of becoming a moderator. It’s a lot simpler than than: you post clever or constructive or insightful stuff, then presto, the website is that much more clever, constructive or insightful.

If you post bitter complaints about things we can’t do anything about - why does it surprise you that you read bitter complaining, etc.? Maybe it isn’t quite as simple as that - but there’s hardly an effort on our part to target men. Quite the contrary in fact

You are missing my points. If Maoman or any mods would like to discuss it sometime, I’m happy to either correspond or sit down over a beer.

I really don’t get it. All this just because someone posted an article from the NYT about older women traveling to Africa for sex with younger men? How is that racist? How is that sexist? How is that offensive to women?

The NYT apparently published the story because they found it an amusing twist on the tired, old story (no longer even worth commenting on) of older men traveling abroad for sex with younger women. Apparently the NYT writer and editors felt the story was a refreshing new twist on an old story. Perhaps they liked it also because it shows women as being bold and in control of their lives and their desires – going out to get what they want, rather than simply tagging along with their hubbies (think Thelma and Louise). I would guess the OP of the forumosa thread found it interesting for similar reasons.

How that led to several threads of discussion on whether forumosa is sexist, racist, offensive, oppressive to women, or whatever, is way beyond me. :idunno:

Not true. I once asked if you’d like to be a moderator, and you declined. :idunno:[/quote]

So how would being a moderator change people’s posting habits? Does it make people not be shitty?[/quote]
The degree of shit you tolerate would be up to you. I kid you not, we once had a moderator in Living in Taiwan who didn’t tolerate cuss words. No damns, shits or hells allowed, to say nothing of the nastier words.

Well, I would ask you to abide by the rules, but the rules weren’t created in a vacuum. If you think things need changing, argue your case. I will hear you out.

The rules as they stand now are largely the result of Tigerman, Wolf Reinhold and myself. Wolf has since retired to a tropical paradise, but he was once one of Forumosa’s fiercest critics. He also cared about the site to at least some degree, so I asked him to be a moderator.

I bet we could list eight times that many.

Or better still, they could post their opinion in this thread!

So how would being a moderator change people’s posting habits? Does it make people not be shitty? Of course not.

I don’t agree with some of the rules of the site so it would be unethical for me to be a mod, although it was kind of you to ask me.[/quote]Bah. You disagree with the tone of the site; being a mod would provide you with an opportunity to try and shift it. It’s a great way to catch lots of grief. I had a go in IP, and now there’s no political mods (and relatively speaking, no posts). Success?

You’re not the only lady to have felt this way. I believe your unease is genuine, but don’t believe the explanations offered are accurate. Be nice to fix it.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I really don’t get it. All this just because someone posted an article from the NYT about older women traveling to Africa for sex with younger men? How is that racist? How is that sexist? How is that offensive to women?

The NYT apparently published the story because they found it an amusing twist on the tired, old story (no longer even worth commenting on) of older men traveling abroad for sex with younger women. Apparently the NYT writer and editors felt the story was a refreshing new twist on an old story. Perhaps they liked it also because it shows women as being bold and in control of their lives and their desires – going out to get what they want, rather than simply tagging along with their hubbies (think Thelma and Louise). I would guess the OP of the forumosa thread found it interesting for similar reasons.

How that led to several threads of discussion on whether forumosa is sexist, racist, offensive, oppressive to women, or whatever, is way beyond me. :idunno:[/quote]
This wasn’t how the discussion winded off path from the way I saw it. I saw Buttercup posting off-topic by stating that Forumosa doesn’t target women. I replied (also off-topic) that our creating a private forum specifically for Women is evidence that such a claim is bollocks.

I don’t see a leap to this being a racist website, or one that is oppressive to women. I can see how Buttercup describes the website as unwelcoming of women - by the various ways she has been treated. But that doesn’t mean we target only men. We probably want to ask ourselves if more can be done in terms of moderating and warning posters.

I think its fine most of you don’t see an issue. But, to say to Butterup, we welcome constuctive critisim , just not this kind because we dont think it has any validity, I still side with Buttercup, this is exactly the kind of comments that should be welcomed.

A while back in one of the threads another female poster “AlmondCookie” , who has since stopped posting and not shortly after a bunch of guys teamed up on her, one of the Mods comments to her (and I like this mod who is fair most of the time, so this comment was particularly out of character) "[quote] "Of course you’re allowed to disagree with people. Just not almond cookie. Because SHE’S a SCHOLAR!
Accusing others of trolling is against the rules, by the way, honeythighs. So is stalking people across the boards when you’ve run out of ammo, sweetikins. But it’s OK, I don’t mind. Because I have an Asian fetish I find everything you do alluring.
[/quote]

This was not temped, although other female posters expressed surpize at the hostility.

By the By why is Ac now given the title of “Village idiot” ?, its a bit off the topic here, but Admins and Mods need to set higher standards than the internet luker Maoman describes.

How so? I respect Buttercup, greatly appreciate her wit and wisdom, and warmly welcome her to forumosa (heck, it’s been repeatedly made clear that many of us do). But what exactly are you siding with in this case?

My recollection is that someone posted a NYT article about older women traveling to africa for sex tourism and Buttercup responded that forumosa doesn’t target women and is sexist, racist and offensive. Is that correct? Is that what you are siding with? I don’t mean that in an argumentative way; just curious.

How so? I respect Buttercup, greatly appreciate her wit and wisdom, and warmly welcome her to forumosa (heck, it’s been repeatedly made clear that many of us do). But what exactly are you siding with in this case?

My recollection is that someone posted a NYT article about older women traveling to africa for sex tourism and Buttercup responded that forumosa doesn’t target women and is sexist, racist and offensive. Is that correct? Is that what you are siding with? I don’t mean that in an argumentative way; just curious.[/quote]

Thats cool. This threads subject is now on the topic raised by Buttercup, Goose eggs response, was after it was moved into a thread of its own and was…[quote]Your assumption about Forumosa’s target excluding women is wrong - actually its down right outrageous. If anything, there is a private Women’s forum because we specifically encourage women to participate in Forumosa. More can be done, and I believe the moderators and admins of the website are open to ideas and suggestions

Criticism is very welcome here. Always has been. But what you spout is unhelpful. It’s one thing to call out a problem - that’s easy. What would rank as truly Classic is providing ideas, alternatives, new perspectives. That is how we grow, not by merely saying “I don’t like this”. [/quote]

Well, since Goose Egg thinks the assumtion was wrong, I wanted to ask about the targeting of "Almond cookie" in a particulary sexist way and by the Mods. It had left myself and a few others baffled. So, yes I think fair point to bring up.

I am still there. But since then I calmed down, so perhaps you didn’t notice.

:wink:

I am still there. But since then I calmed down, so perhaps you didn’t notice.

:wink:[/quote]
I wasn’t talking about you! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Mick”]…This threads subject is now on the topic raised by Buttercup, Goose eggs response, was after it was moved into a thread of its own and was…[quote]Your assumption about Forumosa’s target excluding women is wrong - actually its down right outrageous. If anything, there is a private Women’s forum because we specifically encourage women to participate in Forumosa. More can be done, and I believe the moderators and admins of the website are open to ideas and suggestions

Criticism is very welcome here. Always has been. But what you spout is unhelpful. It’s one thing to call out a problem - that’s easy. What would rank as truly Classic is providing ideas, alternatives, new perspectives. That is how we grow, not by merely saying “I don’t like this”. [/quote]

Well, since Goose Egg thinks the assumtion was wrong, I wanted to ask about the targeting of "Almond cookie" in a particulary sexist way and by the Mods. It had left myself and a few others baffled. So, yes I think fair point to bring up.[/quote]

This is the post you are talking abour: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=671928&#671928

I haven’t read enough of it yet to get the entire context. I would make sure we have a careful look at the what happened if it really is a sexist attack on Almondcookie. Thanks for bringing it up

They’ve all moved on.

Is this akin to who should put the toilet seat down?

It’s not just one thread MT, but a continuous amount of threads that do debase women, and other races. Some of them can be constructive,or funny but that’s up to who’s moderating them, and the personalities of the mods range wide and far. That can be good and that can be bad, especially when there are signs that the thread is going in a direction that the type of conversation in the thread wouldn’t even be held in person.

F.com is visible and a few years back with that whole fiasco of that guy who kidnapped his daughter and how f.com was quoted in the Tart Times should have been a warning sign that people are looking at the site as a [color=darkred]credible source. [/color]

Actually, I often feel that the consideration of feedback is about this site based on popularity. And those who are in the good with the Administrators and majority of mods will be taken under serious consideration. Those who are not, well thems the breaks. Thanks for playing.

I don’t disagree with you, although what you say here is true of just about any thing where people gather together. I certainly saw a lot of it back in New York - in college and in the workplace - and in Singapore and Manila. I’ve seen it at the various church communities I’ve involved myself in over the years. Here in Shanghai, we’d call it guanxi, but it’s hardly a Chinese or Taiwanese or Forumosan concept

I’ve benefited from it personally some times, and also been on the outside looking in. Heck there are popular websites built precisely on this very idea - LinkedIn.com

I think it’s unfortunate that Forumosa can’t be all things to all people. I recognize it’s risky that we even try to be. But we actually do try to be as open as possible, and sometimes we miss it. I do not think we systematically encourage ganging up nor do we target one group over another (which is what this was originally all about)

But I’m part of the system, so I could be blind. And I rely on you (everyone) to tell me otherwise. My point is that it isn’t just enough to say, “that’s a problem”. If you want to see action, offering alternatives are going to be far more effective. And appreciated

I have been around this place for a while and I can say, quite honestly, that Forumosa.com tries to be as inclusive as possible.

“Sexist Posts”? You have every right to respond to them. You don’t like some topics?..well, I don’t either. But I respect the posters right to talk about them (provided they fall within the rules of this site).

Too many reasons why more men men post here than women. For you to incorrectly assume that forumosa is targeting men is very unfair to Maoman and Goose Egg.

If you had any bit of sense you would realize that there are many factors as to why more men post here than women.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I have been around this place for a while and I can say, quite honestly, that Forumosa.com tries to be as inclusive as possible.

If you had any bit of sense
you would realize that there are many factors as to why more men post here than women.[/quote]I’m glad you didn’t say “as friendly as possible.”

You bring up some good points, I hadnt thought of that.

Sometimes f.com is not too friendly, but that is the case to both men and women. In fact, there was a recent case where coincidentally it was a female poster with strong opinions about the site’s friendliness quotient who threw the first (and many subsequent) stones against a new poster. In the vein of “glass houses” and all that, I would suggest that one’s argument is stronger against hostility on the site when one refrains from telling off newbie posters who post information hoping to help others. . Or perhaps the prompt removal of that abuse shows that the site policy as a whole is a friendly one.

You have to distinguish between site policy (which is what the complaint addresses) and individual posters, or even the mass or majority of posters. The site policy is inclusive and friendly. The mods I know go out of their way to be nice to newbies in particular, to explain for the millionth time that you can’t post language exchange ads in LC, or whatever…and (although admittedly I rarely peruse the political forums) mostly the mods try to keep things civil.

There will always be individual posters who have not yet achieved a high enough degree of evolution to enable them to make their own points without attacking others on a personal level in an attempt to shore up their arguments. Fine. That is not the fault of the site. You might as well blame the government of [Country X] if someone is rude to you on the street.

The overriding point is that F.com is a web community. It is not real life. It should not be your only social contact on this planet. Those who do not take themselves too seriously enjoy a much smoother ride, whether on f.com or elsewhere in life.

There is still a women’s forum, despite several suggestions to eliminate it. Feel free to post over there. There are women on the site. Maybe the reason you think there aren’t is that we are just too evolved to bother with some of the uglier $hitfests that get going? :wink: