Who Have You Seen Live in Concert?

Thanks for the reminder

Jethro Tull, 1988, Saratoga NY

I’d give my left nut to see the Jethro Tull - A Passion Play tour '73.

I was 2 yrs old…

:laughing: No… It was the pleasant kind of stoning.

Woodstock, New York - 1969
Richie Havens - beyond description.
Ravi Shankar - First Indian person to have a top ten hit in the U.S. and ONLY man to do so.
Melanie - I thought it lacked in so many ways.
Arlo - Coming into L.A. - As good as it gets.
Joan Baez - Sucked big time as always
Country Joe - Damn the rain. Recall it well.
CCR - My heros. Lived for many years near my home and was happy to hear them live after the concert. Got drunk together, fell down together. Awww., the good old days.
Janis Joplin - Try and Ball and Chain. How can this possibly be better than she did it? DAMN!
Sly - I enjoyed but was much preoccupied. I just didnt hear much of it. Actually, what I was doing was so enjoyable that I just didn’t miss it much. I hope it was good.
Airplane - White Rabbit - Still one of my favorites.
Joe Cocker - OK but it was not what I was looking for.
Country Joe - Just becoming popular and the tunes were not what I had heard before. Also, the crowd was too loud and I really didn’t hear them that clearly. Appologies to them.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - This when Young was really getting into the group. Everyone was listening for the nuances. Not me - I was dead ass drunk and stoned awakened later under a school bus with a hell of a head ache. Got up, was handed a bong and a bottle of vodka. Did them both and went back to the party. Damn, I wish I could do it that way today.
Jimmi;
Aww, hell, what can I tell you. You already know. He was a high point that few will ever forget. I know that every time I hear hear his tunes, I recall a wilder time in upstate NY when all was good.
All in all, Woodstock is a concert that I will never forget. I decided to go. I was just out of High School and had 20 dollars to my name. I loaded up a backpack, sleeping bag and few groceries from mom and pops fridge. I hit the highway. The first night I spent under a bridge in the worst storm the NW U.S. had seen in years. In the early hours of the am, I caught a ride into Boise. Then a ride into Columbus, OH. Slept in a flop and walked for hours to get out of Columbus. Then some heads picked me up that were also going to Woodstock. A VW van and some good company that will never be forgotten. We got there late due to the traffic and we were able to crash the fence along with thousands of others.
Never will be anything like this event.

The Rolling Stones (Steel Wheels), 1989 in Toronto (Skydome). Living Color were the front runners. Excellent concert.
Metallica, 1994 or 95 (?) in Vancouver (UBC Thunderbird Stadium). Two other bands played. I think one was Pantera or Pandora’s Box or something. So, so concert. It rained all the way up until Metallica started. Don’t think I enjoyed it as much as I could have because I was broke.
Tragically Hip, 1995 in Vancouver (UBC). I think there were six bands all day, but I didn’t get there until after work. Blue’s Travellers were one of them. My first and only mosh pit. Good concert.

That’s it, I think save some live music in bars. Saw Long John Baldry once in a bar in Fredericton, NB (Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival). Also saw the Barenaked Ladies in a really small univeristy bar at UNB, Fredericton.

Oh damn. I just remembered. I saw Alice Cooper. Great White were the front runners. Ha ha! “Once bitten, twice shy baby”. Also saw April Wine with Corey Hart :unamused: Oh yeah and Loverboy (ha) and Johnny Rivers (same show) in an ampitheatre in Vancouver.

Young Black Teenagers (brutal)
Primus (Les was the shit)
Anthrax (knew nothing about them, but they rocked)
Public Enemy (Flava Flav came out into the audience and actually gave this white boy high five. He also had the largest brother I’ve ever seen next to his side. Nothing was going to happen to the Flava.)

L7 ( interesting)
Beastie Boys (Unbelievable, best show I’ve ever seen. Check your head tour)

Phish (numerous times, always awesome)

Rusted Root (upstaged Carlos and crew)
Santana (They really sucked that night, and it didn’t help that RR was really on.)

Fleetwood Mac (Really good show. It was nice to be in the second row.)

Rage Against the Machine (They were great, but I think it would have been much better if they were the headliner in a smaller venue. They weren’t arena big yet, if they ever were.)
U2 (Solid, but nothing spectacular)

Big Head Todd and the Monsters (My favorite band! Numerous times. Always rocked)

Really regret not going to See Pink Floyd when I had the chance. Would loved to have seen the Dead, but they were dead by the time I got into them. And I’m really pissed I couldn’t get tickets to the first Lollapalooza. I’ve also always wanted to see Skynard.

thebayou, I’d love to see Primus. Wonderful stuff.

Mer, I love ‘Hot Rats’ for the Captain Beefheart appearance, ‘Peaches On Regalia’ which is one of the most smiley-cool pieces of music ever and Jean Luc Ponty’s mad violins. I’m not sure if it’s my all time favourite but it’s a good place for a new Zappa listener to start. I absolutely love ‘Zoot Allures’; I think this might be my favourite. I also love ‘One Size Fits All’, ‘Apostrophe’ and last but never least, ‘Joe’s Garage’.

The best live show I ever saw was the Chili Peppers on the “Mother’s milk” tour in '88 or '89. They were covered head to toe with dayglow paint and played with so much engery, unbelievable! Anyone else see this tour?

Some of the acts I’ve seen:

Motorhead - three times (pain, pain and more pain - wonderful! hahahahahaha)
Neil Young/ Pearl Jam in a field
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
The Cure - Excellent show!
Faith No More (Before the Real Thing) at the (new) Marquee…They’ve turned it into a city wankers pub now
Voivod
Kreator
Fairport Convention (who?) ask yer dad
Tricky - interesting - Scott Ian guest on guitar
Nuclear Assault
Metallica - Even if you hate 'em their live shows are very entertaining.
Tori Amos - :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:
Rollins (spoken word gig - what a character!)
Faster Pussycat
AC/DC
Jane’s Addiction in a tiny club, between the release of JA and Nothing’s Shocking. Dave used his vibrator on the guitar.

But probably the most disappointing show was PJ Harvey. Two crap suppport bands, and a sixty minute set weren’t worth twenty quid (which was a lot back then).

My nineties indie-kid credentials coming up:

Oasis - at Knebworth, along with the Chemical Brothers (so-so), Manic Street Preachers, Ocean Colour Scene (meh), and Prodigy (superb)
Skunk Anansie - fantastic moshing fun, but their hardcore fans were a bit mental for me
Travis in a cowshed in Exeter
Mansun
Massive Attack
Rialto (anyone remember them? they were shite)
The Young Knives
Kenickie (P-U-N-K-A!)
Polly Jean Harvey
The Divine Comedy
Portishead
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Muse - when they were a Devon pub-band
Dreadzone
Björk
Radiohead
Moloko
Reef
Kulashaker (completely and unintentionally hilarious)
Sleeper
Roni Size
Creme 21 (Krautrock)
Die Toten Hosen (likewise)
Snowpatrol before they were all famous and that
Roots Manuva
Basement Jaxx - at the Eden Project in Cornwall - last concert I saw before I came back out to Taiwan

…and lots more that I can’t remember right now. I got knocked out cold at the Sleeper gig at the Torquay Rec, 1995, which was probably a blessing in disguise.

Die Toten Hosen was the craziest concert I’ve ever been to in the band’s home city. Thousands of Düsseldorfers going completely mental the whole way through - I’ve never seen anything like it.

I have a very small list so here it is in order:
Ringo Star and the all star band.
MC hammer (had to take my little brother)
Burton Cummings in a small bar
Barenaked Ladies
Metallica! open air in Vancouver with Candle box, Alice in chains and Pantera.
Nashville Pussy (WTF?)

And the best was last: Elton John live in Taipei!
(If only Sting had come :frowning: )

[quote=“Chicken”]
(If only Sting had come :frowning: )[/quote]

Sting played Taipei about 8 or 9 years ago. I’ve seen him 6 times and Taipei was by far the best because of the intimacy of the venue (about 2-3000) at the TWTC. Sure beat seing him in a 20,000 seat auditorium anywhere else!

We were standing at the front of the stage after the show and Kenny Kirkland just walked up and started chatting with us. Super guy, may his soul rest in peace; he was more interested in what we were doing living in Taipei than anything else.

The famous ones:

Bob Dylan (many times)
Merle Haggard (5-? times)
Asleep at the Wheel
Hank Williams, Jr.
Townes van Zandt
The Rolling Stones (sucked big time, got upstaged)
Rufus/Chaka Khan (upstaged The Rolling Stones)
The Grateful Dead (many times, fuck the Hell’s Angels)
The Who (drove 8 hrs from Lawrence, Kansas, USA, to StL, saw show, drove 8hrs back, sat for Hist-WestCiv I final exam, flunked)
Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
Mott the Hoople
The New York Dolls
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Johnny Cash
Joe Ely
Willie Nelson
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Waylon Jennings/Roseanne Cash
Jerry Jeff Walker
Billy Joe Shaver
Steve Earle
Lucinda Williams
Buddy Guy
Albert King
Robert Cray
The Allman Brothers Band
Cheap Trick
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers (many times)
Wilco
The Flaming Lips
Queens of the Stone Age
Social Distortion
The Deftones

Best concert ever: Kansas City’s Memorial Hall (1975) Lynyrd Skynyrd (plus Charlie Daniels and The Marshall Tucker Band). Hell’s Angels, windowpane acid, thai stick, amphetamines, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Southern Comfort, KCMO PD (last concert in MH using wooden pews due to the tossing about of same), Jackson Co. jail and smoking joints therein. All Skynyrd’s fault. Fucking greatest night ever.

where/when did you see the dead?

francis albert sinatra
john lee hooker

Pretty much limited by whoever bothered to come to NZ, so tended to see whoever did come.

Some I’m not so proud of, but I generally crave live music so whatever…

U2 (x3)
Sting (x2)
Dire Straits
Simply Red
Crowded House
Pseudo Echo
Bryan Adams (x2)
Lou Reed
James Brown
Grace Jones
Pavarotti
Zucherro
Keb Mo
Ronan Keating
Elton John
UB40
Dave Dobbyn, Bic Runga & Tim Finn
Split Enz
Various ‘World famous in NZ’ acts like Midge Marsden, Exponents, Darren Watson & Chicago Smokeshop, Herbs, Annie Crummer, Dragon, Hello Sailor, Mutton Birds
BB King
Big Audio Dynamite
Lee Ritenour
Jimmy Barnes
Tina Turner
Hootie and the Blowfish
Glen Campbell
Freddy Fender
Del Amitri

Oh yeah. How can I forget:
Muddy Basin Ramblers (x 6 or 7)
Beaver County Rangers, TK Playboys

[quote=“Chicken”]I have a very small list so here it is in order:
Ringo Star and the all star band.
MC hammer (had to take my little brother)
Burton Cummings in a small bar
Barenaked Ladies
Metallica! open air in Vancouver with Candle box, Alice in chains and Pantera.
Nashville Pussy (WTF?)

(If only Sting had come :frowning: )[/quote]

I was at that concert. It rained that day, right? But it stopped right before Metallica played.

Was she shit?

Erm some more of my less memorable:

Gn’R at Donninton in '87 when the kid got crushed (Maiden headlining)
Fields of the Nephilim
Megadeth (three times, why? They always sounded sooooo bad live)
Sisters of Mercy.

The first concert I ever went to was Meat Loaf when I was 15. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“TomHill”][quote]Bob Dylan (multiple shows)
Neil Young (multiple shows)
The Band
Richard Manuel + [color=red]Rick Danko[/color] (My girl’s band opened for them and we all got stoned after the show) [/quote]

Ok, now I am impressed with you.

Anyone ever see Zappa? I’d have quite enjoyed that.[/quote]
Me. Palais de Sports, Paris 1976. You would have. And Knebworth in 1978. I was wearing a green mohawk and riding an 800cc motorbike. 20. Fucking. Years. Old.

Fuck. I’m ancient. :frowning:[/quote]
Ha ha ha! Someone was at Woodstock! I’m nobbut a spring Chicken! :laughing:

[quote=“Limey”]Sisters of Mercy.[/quote]I’ve seen them live too – for about ten minutes.

It was a “secret” gig at Joseph’s Well in Leeds. A return visit to one of the places they used to play before they got famous. However, it wasn’t a well kept secret and it seemed as if all the Goths in Yorkshire had got there before us. Entry was limited to a hundred or so because of fire regs. If you were one of the first hundred, you got a stamp on your hand and you could go in. I wasn’t and I couldn’t. Then my friend had an idea. He borrowed a pen from the bar and faked a stamp on my hand. I got in in time to see the last ten minutes.

It was good to see them though I’d outgrown my Sisters phase quite a few years before that.

Of the gigs I’ve enjoyed best, most have been so-called “world” music, for example a great jazz/ska outfit called Jazz Jamaica, a wonderful north-east Brazilian folk music/dance ensemble called Maracatu Nacao Pernambuco, an African vocal duo called Hijas del Sol, some brilliant flamenco, and various good Andean pipe bands. I also saw the seminal Brazilian vocal/percussion group Ile Aiye playing in the street in Liverpool. Powerful stuff.

I’ve seen lots of other good folk/roots/world music too. Not many big names but some brilliant music.

How could I forget? Probably the first pub gig my mates and I went to. We were about 16 and still in school. Paid the cover charge at the door, trying hard to look older than we were (must’ve been bloody obvious to everyone else). Anyway, we sidled down to the back of the “lounge” bar, where a concertina door separated us from the “public” bar. Had a great time - the oldest looking of my mates was regularly sent up to the bar for fresh jugs - and we got pretty pissed by the end of the show. Band left the stage, and the door behind us was opened to reveal…half a dozen of our teachers sitting about 6 feet away! We made a futile attempt to obscure our beer and smokes, while they stared at us in silence. Then they all burst out laughing. We would’ve been so busted if they hadn’t been even more hammered than we were!