Who is Christian?

I have no clue who is right. I wish I had that answer. We shall know when we die.

I suppose they are all correct within their own belief system. Let them all worship how, where or what they may so long as they are not causing anyone harm.

The quantity of New Testament manuscripts is unparalleled in ancient literature. There are over 5,000 Greek manuscripts, about 8,000 Latin manuscripts, and another 1,000 manuscripts in other languages (Syriac, Coptic, etc.). In addition to this extraordinary number, there are tens of thousands of citations of New Testament passages by the early church fathers. And with the copies of the Dead Sea scrolls found which date back very close to the time of the apostles. The Bible maintains like a 99.5% accuracy in copies. There are so many copies found they don’t even bother translating them anymore. You’re saying people can’t read Greek and Hebrew and other languages that translated them into today? And people wouldn’t see hey the manuscripts say this, why is this different?

I agree with you about Mormons (which only recently is a term/word the Church of LDS no longer wants to use, what they’re going to name their famous choir will be interesting) in general being the type of people that you previously stated they are, just like most common Catholics are humble and in general, repeat in general, keep their religion to themselves and are NOT all fire and brimstone.

Interesting part is that the Mormons were forced to give up polygamy in order to get statehood.
A condition for (the federal govt) granting Utah statehood was that a ban on polygamy be written into the state constitution.

But one has to be right or both wrong correct? Mormons themselves claim they are the true Christians and everyone else is an apostate.

If you’re going with everyone is right, why even bother with what you’re saying?

These differences make a world of difference for Christians and Mormons. It’s literally talking about what is god.

Both A and B say the other is wrong and only one is the true Christians. But you want to say they are all Christians? Both are interested in the truth about pretty much the most important thing for a person of faith.

I fail to see these major contradictions. It contradicts your interpretation of the writings.

The LDS claim that God continues to reveal new truths and gives New direction as mankind progresses or regresses. It is like God is the owner of a baseball team. The Coaches are the prophets. The owner doesn’t like what the team is doing or how they are playing so he instructs the coaches to do things differently. His purpose remains the same. To win and be a profitable franchise.

Poor comparison, but you have to cut me some slack…it’s 2am.

1 Like

No they don’t.
They believe anyone who follows Christ’s teachings are Christians.

As far as truth goes. They believe they are the only religion on Earth who has the full doctorine and prophets called by God.

They believe you can be Christian and not LDS. But you can’t be LDS and not Christian.

1 Like

Both of youse now, Go to sleep!

You done good and nobody lost and everybody has gained by following this thread !!

4 Likes

See Andrew, it really feels like you and your “church” are claiming ownership of the word Christian. I just personally feel that is not correct.

No, you didn’t understand me. Pointing out discrepancies isn’t knowledge, it’s just remembering facts. Maybe I should say you’re too rooted in your own rightness to see things from the perspective of others, specifically of another religious community. It’s a function of pride, something a Christian would be better of reducing.
And in my own pride, I do think I’ve said a few in depth things. I’m not sure how much anyone reads on these day moving threads as they pound away on the keyboard. That said, this is now boring and I’m out.

1 Like

Ok dad.

I think I lost sleep. That image above was literally me and my wife.

They claim anyone that doesn’t adhere to their teachings as apostates.

Great thread (ending). Thanks guys.

1 Like

LDS are not at war with other faiths over identity. They are quite content with who they are. They even have it written in the Doctorine and Covenants to let other people worship how they want. They have an aggressive missionary program but they don’t condemn others for not converting or believing. They believe in an afterlife where everyone gets a second shot at accepting Christ and entering into covenants with him and God. They don’t care who lays claim to the title if Christian. It doesn’t belong to them or anyone else. It’s just a word. Actions are far more important in the grand scheme of things.

3 Likes

No, wrong.
They don’t.
They believe you can only be an apostate if you enter into a covenant with Christ and God and then opt out and deny it all.

ie, decide to be baptized into the LDS church and then leave and actively preach against it and deny faith in Christ.

What? You mean I’m saying what is consistent with Christian doctrine that basically all denominations agree to besides Mormons. How else can I gain knowledge, just make it up?

There’s a reason I don’t argue about baptism, many different ideas. But the consistent doctrines that is followed.

In my experience Mormons have always made me feel exactly this way.

One reason that females stay within LDS for their entire (and very healthy) lives, too. This is a true marker of any religion, the faith of females.

There ain’t a lot of female Mormons hopping out of attics to find their “real” lives, and that’s for sure.

1 Like

Mormonism literally claims Joseph Smith recieved revelations from god because god saw other faiths fall into apostasy and wanted to restore the one true church.

Story goes from his first vision is. He was asking god which church to join.

“I was answered that I must join none of them
for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

Some Mormons seem to not really care and ignore this. Just as some other Christians probably don’t know much doctrine. But the ones that are really into Mormonism, believe everyone is wrong from my interactions with them. And we just disagreed. Not this we are all right and Christians kum bah ya.

I have always really respected the clean living of the Mormons. I remember doing some research once at BYU and while lamenting the lack of caffeine and alcohol (I love my chemicals!), I thought what a really good looking student body!!! Very aesthetically pleasing family oriented folks.

I was in Salt Lake City once. I remember being really impressed and in awe at how incredibly clean and we’ll kept everything was in that city.

Even here in Taiwan, their Temple, Temple grounds and church buildings are very well kept and clean…so much so that they put the surrounding area to shame.

1 Like