Who is Sarah Palin?

An anecdote with more on Palin and her present and future.

[i]"There’s an old academic joke, probably apocryphal, about Count Metternich, Austria’s foreign minister during the Napoleonic era. While attending the Congress of Vienna, Metternich is sleeping off a banquet when one of his aides bursts in at three in the morning. “Your excellency! Count Nesselrode, the Russian ambassador, just died.”

Metternich jerks awake. “Died, you say? What a terrible thing! I was speaking to him only tonight… Uhh… send a message to the Tsar – Austria regrets, and so forth…”

The aide leaves. Metternich gets up and paces the floor. After a moment he stops and rubs his chin. “So… Why did Nesselrode decide to do that now…”

We’re seeing the same thing today. Obsessive figures confronted with a simple human contingency and, unable to comprehend what’s right in front of their eyes, retreating instead into irrelevant speculation about whatever they know best. Simply put, in resigning her governorship and stepping away from active politics, Sarah Palin is not pulling any tricks, carrying out any maneuvers, or putting in motion any long-range plans. She is doing exactly what any normal, rational, un-driven human being would do under the same circumstances."[/i]
Sarah Palin: The Best is Yet to Come

She’s not finished with politics, and I predict that politics is not finished with her. But her re-entry into the game will be on better terms that what she is getting now.

The fringe element character assassination is back-firing on the looney/leftists. She’s coming out looking better and stronger to the voting populace - Rep and Demo.

Its politics…the pendulum hits all points in its swing.
Always has…always will.

nytimes.com/2009/07/06/opini … ?th&emc=th

[quote]Palin and Her Enemies

By ROSS DOUTHAT
Published: July 5, 2009

If Sarah Palin’s political career ended last Friday, 10 tumultuous months after she was introduced as the Republican Party’s vice-presidential nominee, those five words will be its epitaph.

Had she refused John McCain, Palin would still be a popular female governor in a Republican Party starved for future stars. Her scandals would be the stuff of local politics, her daughter’s pregnancy a minor story in the Lower 48, her son Trig’s parentage a nonissue even for conspiracy theorists. There would still be plenty of time to ease into the national spotlight, to bone up on the issues, and to craft a persona more appealing than the Mrs. Spiro Agnew role the McCain campaign assigned to her.

Most important, nobody would have realized yet how much she looks like Tina Fey.

But she said yes. It wasn’t the right thing to do, in hindsight, but it was certainly the human thing. She was coming off a charmed rise through statewide politics. John McCain was offering her a spot on a national ticket. It was the chance of a lifetime.

And now, seemingly, it’s over. Oh, maybe not forever: she’s only 45, young enough (and, yes, talented enough) to have a second act. But last Friday’s bizarre, rambling resignation speech should take her off the political map for the duration of the Obama era.

One hopes that was intentional. A Sarah Palin who stepped down for the sake of her family and her media-swarmed state deserves sympathy even from the millions of Americans who despise her. A Sarah Palin who resigned in the delusional belief that it would give her a better shot at the presidency in 2012 warrants no such kindness.

Either way, though, her 10 months on the national stage have been a dispiriting period for American democracy.

If Palin were exactly what her critics believe she is — the distillation of every right-wing pathology, from anti-intellectualism to apocalyptic Christianity — then she wouldn’t be a terribly interesting figure. But this caricature has always missed the point of the Alaska governor’s appeal — one that extends well outside the Republican Party’s shrinking base.

In a recent Pew poll, 44 percent of Americans regarded Palin unfavorably. But slightly more had a favorable impression of her. That number included 46 percent of independents, and 48 percent of Americans without a college education.

That last statistic is a crucial one. Palin’s popularity has as much to do with class as it does with ideology. In this sense, she really is the perfect foil for Barack Obama. Our president represents the meritocratic ideal — that anyone, from any background, can grow up to attend Columbia and Harvard Law School and become a great American success story. But Sarah Palin represents the democratic ideal — that anyone can grow up to be a great success story without graduating from Columbia and Harvard.

This ideal has had a tough 10 months. It’s been tarnished by Palin herself, obviously. With her missteps, scandals, dreadful interviews and self-pitying monologues, she’s botched an essential democratic role — the ordinary citizen who takes on the elites, the up-by-your-bootstraps role embodied by politicians from Andrew Jackson down to Harry Truman.

But it’s also been tarnished by the elites themselves, in the way that the media and political establishments have treated her.

Here are lessons of the Sarah Palin experience, for any aspiring politician who shares her background and her sex. Your children will go through the tabloid wringer. Your religion will be mocked and misrepresented. Your political record will be distorted, to better parody your family and your faith. (And no, gentle reader, Palin did not insist on abstinence-only sex education, slash funds for special-needs children or inject creationism into public schools.)

Male commentators will attack you for parading your children. Female commentators will attack you for not staying home with them. You’ll be sneered at for how you talk and how many colleges you attended. You’ll endure gibes about your “slutty” looks and your “white trash concupiscence,” while a prominent female academic declares that your “greatest hypocrisy” is the “pretense” that you’re a woman. And eight months after the election, the professionals who pressed you into the service of a gimmicky, dreary, idea-free campaign will still be blaming you for their defeat.

All of this had something to do with ordinary partisan politics. But it had everything to do with Palin’s gender and her social class.

Sarah Palin is beloved by millions because her rise suggested, however temporarily, that the old American aphorism about how anyone can grow up to be president might actually be true.

But her unhappy sojourn on the national stage has had a different moral: Don’t even think about it.[/quote]

Well thats certainly being proven with the Ass-Clown occupying the POTUS office at this time.[/quote]
Newsflash: the Ass-Clown left office 6 months ago. Didn’t you get the memo?

What a relief to finally have competent leadership. My only complaint is that Obama is too centrist. But he’s far preferable to either Bush or to (perish the thought) McCain.

Quitting her post isn’t going to endear her to Republicans, who hate quitters.

She doesn’t need character assassination: she pretty much assassinated her own character with her looney campaign last fall and her bizarre behavior since.

Right now the Dems are pretty silent about her resignation: we’re letting the Repubes eat her alive for this decision.

And after some 40 years of being on the right, the pendulum is finally swinging back to the left.

Hay Chris, don’t forget we’re members of the Pepsi Generation

I’ll bet you TC is as well. I bet not so deep down inside, he agrees with us about Palin.

Palin —thanks for going away… PLEase stay away. THank you :slight_smile:

…says the guy who voted for her. :unamused:

[color=#0000FF]We would have like for her to stay awhile.
She said she’d give us light, but she never told us about the fire.
She was drowning in a sea of love where everyone would love to drown.
Now she’s gone. It doesn’t matter anymore.
She’s the poet in our hearts
Never change, never stop, never blink
[/color]

I’ll admit it, I could have voted for John McCain - even Ronald Reagan. Come on guys, tell us the truth about Sarah Palin.

from the Canada Free Press:

Sarah Sarah Sarah

U.S. News & World Report:

Bloggers Positive About Palin Resignation

Both show some background about the treatment directed towards Palin by the leftwing attack mob. And the after-effect (mostly none) of their efforts.

(singing)

Sarah, Saaaa-rah
No time, is a good time, for goodbyes…

Don’t forget the rightwing attack mob.

Conservative columnist George Will

politicususa.com/en/Will-Palin-Quitter

The Wall Street Journal Editorial page

firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ … 87086.aspx

Karl Rove

usnews.com/articles/news/oba … ation.html

Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski

newsminer.com/weblogs/dermot-col … aving-now/

The Weekly Standard’s Fred Barnes

National Review’s Rich Lowry

Ed Morissey

associatedcontent.com/articl … peech.html

National Review’s Rick Brookhiser

youtube.com/watch?v=gA15XU23kEc
Sarah tells it like it is. A straight shooter.

She had credibility before this?

I know there are diehard supporters of political parties, and then there are diehard supporters of political parties, but for those who continue to stick by her, really, was she the second best choice the GOP had? Surely they sold themselves, and continue to sell themselves short by continuing to defend her. Admit she was a terrible mistake and move on. Anyone who clings tenaciously to this idea that she could possibly run in 2012 and not get absolutely hammered is part of the problem.

She had credibility before this?

I know there are diehard supporters of political parties, and then there are diehard supporters of political parties, but for those who continue to stick by her, really, was she the second best choice the GOP had? Surely they sold themselves, and continue to sell themselves short by continuing to defend her. Admit she was a terrible mistake and move on. Anyone who clings tenaciously to this idea that she could possibly run in 2012 and not get absolutely hammered is part of the problem.[/quote]

Excellent post, GIT!

When the going got tough, Sarah Palin got going…right out the door!

It is for this reason I support her candidacy! :laughing:

Maoman: Funny in a sense, but in another, something like that gives a free pass to the Democrats. That’s precisely the point, I hear you say. No, the point is that strong oppositions make for strong governments. No one but a diehard fan wants his team to absolutely destroy the opposition for the entire match. The one and only Australian Open Tennis final I went to (probably back in about 1996 or thereabouts, and I can’t remember who played) was a terrible let down because it was so incredibly one-sided.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]from the Canada Free Press:

Sarah Sarah Sarah[/quote]
A completely disingenuous report.

Palin was an instant hit when she was chosen; even I was pleasantly surprised at first. Then I leanred that her handlers wouldn’t allow her to be interviewed or to face tough questioning at press conferences. That is always a red flag. When they finally relented, we found out why. It’s because as soon as she opens her mouth, she shows herself to be a basket case.

She speaks in a rambling, nonsensical manner (“Oil … is a fungible commodity and they don’t flag, you know, the molecules”) and shows she doesn’t really understand the issues facing the nation. She makes up ridiculous stories about her opponents “palling around with terrorists”. She gives interviews totally oblivious that Grinnin’ Zeke is behind her shoving live turkeys into a death machine. She thinks that being able to see Russia from Alaska boosts her credibility as an expert on foreign policy. She espouses abstinence, yet her own unwed teenage daughter got knocked up. Tina Fey? Part of her act was to use exactly the same words as Palin did, since they were self-parodizing. Palin is a living example of Poe’s Law.

Then some months later, out of the blue, she tried to blame the media for making her look goofy, when it was she herself who did so. Typical Repube: it’s always someone else’s fault. No accountability for their own actions.

And I still don’t even know what newspapers Palin reads. She never answered that simple question.

As for Bloggers Positive About Palin Resignation, it’s also disingenuous. It shows the findings of some “complicated” (as opposed to “complex”, I note) data mining algorithms that conclude that the “buzz” of the recent Palin topic has a positive tone. But, clearly, notwithstanding the notorious inaccuracy of data mining techniques, what is this supposed positiveness reflect? For example, I feel positive that Palin’s political career has taken a major hit, and that another shining star of the GOP pantheon has turned out to be a falling meteor.

As one of the comments at the bottom of the page says, “Are they happy she resigned or happy she might be running for president? All it gives is tone, no real data. Pretty useless.”

I agree that strong opposition makes good government. But I’d like to see an opposition that’s something other than the neocons and theocons; an opposition that isn’t totally batshit insane. Indeed, the primary reason I’m a Democrat is because the Republicans are so utterly vile. I want to see a real choice.

What I’d love to see is the Republican Party totally destroyed and neutralized so other parties can come to the fore: Greens, Libertarians, etc. as real opposition to centrist Democrats.