Who should Obama select as his VP?

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“alidarbac”]
I don’t get this analogy at all. Obama excelled at Columbia and Harvard, unlike the Gentleman’s C’s of our current president. Furthermore, Obama emerged as a complete unknown and defeated HRC, who got to where she was on pretty much her name alone. [/quote]

. Obama got the nomination just because of the color of his skin.
[/quote]

Of course. This explains why most candidates for US President from major parties have been black.

Always wondered about that.

Oh lordy, what cave have you been hiding in? The same one with Osama Bin Laden? :loco: You’re soo behind.

Chewycorns

[quote]
Obama is different? Perhaps, he is more acceptable than the above-mentioned people. However, I again ask you this question. iI a white candidate had a long-standing association with a preacher of hate and if a white candidate’s wife spoke so negatively about the US, would they have got the nomination? One not one set of standards for all? Isn’t that truly being color blind?[/quote]

Chewycorns, you been reading enough these days? McCain has been linked with a preacher of hate. And for the last time, Michelle was not speaking negatively about the US. Read the full quote.

DB

[quote]
If that were true, then why didn’t Chisholm, Jackson, Keyes, Sharpton and so on get it?[/quote] Because when they ran, America’s economy wasn’t in the toilet, and things were just fine. Bush has messed things up so badly over here that Americans, and the powers that be are willing for any sort of change, even one that bucks tradition.

[quote]Obviously there’s something different about Obama, and just because you’re unable to see that doesn’t make it not so. I wouldn’t have voted for some of them, and it isn’t because of the color of their skin. I will be voting for Obama, and that isn’t because of the color of his skin either.[/quote] What’s different about Obama, is nothing. He’s put a great majority of white voters at ease, meaning that they can identify and feel 'safe" with him as a choose. Can’t be said for a couple of the aforementioned candidates.

On the political side, he’s got the best damn campaign manager around.

As I type the Bilderberg Group are meeting and deciding what the future of the world will be like - in Virginia.

What a coincidence Obama and Clinton have just had a meeting in Virginia.
The man tasked with selecting Obama’s running mate is James A Johnson who is attending the Bilderberg meeting.

You couldn’t make this up.

Clinton, if selected would be one bullet away from the continued Bush/Clinton legacy which has lasted 28 years already.

Perhaps they will have special rituals for choosing Obama’s veep.

“Will the candidates kneel.”

“We now consecrate the bonds of obedience…”

(whack!)

“Thank you sir may I have another!”

[quote=“cake”]

Clinton, if selected would be one bullet away from the continued Bush/Clinton legacy which has lasted 28 years already.[/quote]

Operative words - one bullet away. :s

Linked? Surely, you can differentiate between accepting an endorsement (later rejecting) from a person you’ve never met to sitting in the pews of a church for almost two decades listening to a preacher talk about whites, Jews, and other ethnic groups in disparaging terms.

Speaking of Michelle, I wonder how “whiteys” will react to this new story.

politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ … stion.html

I thought of somebody he should pick. See if you can guess who I mean?

1. A woman, 50-something
  2. Nationally known, influential, an opinion-leader and philanthropist
  3. Endorsed Obama early in his campaign
  4. Born in Mississippi, grew up in Wisconsin, lives in Chicago
  5. Never part of the DC “Beltway”
  6. Health may be a concern
  7. Has appeared with controversial religious leader, but has no identifiable religion herself
  8. Political initiatives include a “Child Predator Watch List,” criticism of misogynistic rap lyrics
  9. Has some Native American and East Asian ancestors (less than 10 %)
  10. Lots of sordid sex and drug issues in her youth

Give up?

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]I thought of somebody he should pick. See if you can guess who I mean?

1. A woman, 50-something
  2. Nationally known, influential, an opinion-leader and philanthropist
  3. Endorsed Obama early in his campaign
  4. Born in Mississippi, grew up in Wisconsin, lives in Chicago
  5. Never part of the DC “Beltway”
  6. Health may be a concern
  7. Has appeared with controversial religious leader, but has no identifiable religion herself
  8. Political initiatives include a “Child Predator Watch List,” criticism of misogynistic rap lyrics
  9. Has some Native American and East Asian ancestors (less than 10 %)
  10. Lots of sordid sex and drug issues in her youth

Give up?[/quote]

Oprah

[quote]I was under the impression Obama got the nomination because more people voted for him.
[/quote]

Did he? He’s got more delegates, but I thought Hillary had gotten as many or more actual votes. Either way it’s what’s decided at the the convention that counts, but for all intents and purposes Obama’s the nominee.

AS for Veep candidates, Hillary is the only one I can see actually affecting the race much. She’d unite the party and bring in some who otherwise might have defected. I think this probably outweighs the number of people who would have the opposite reaction. My thinking is that most of the people who are that hostile towards Hillary probably wouldn’t be voting Obama either.

The bigger problem with Hillary is that I don’t see her settling into the usual don’t-rock-the-boat role that the VP gets (trying to avoid any assassination jokes here). Although she agrees with Obama on a lot of issues, I think she really would have a hard time keeping her mouth shut when she disagreed with him, or if she wanted credit for some particular idea. It could make for some awkward circumstances.

Of the others, Biden has some name recognition and would probably play well, considering his military background. Clark would also, though he is less recognized. I don’t like Edwards, and I don’t think he’d be a good fit with Obama, but he would bring name more name recognition than anyone not named Hillary.

If Obama actually intends on using the VP as an adviser, then one of the more experienced candidates, preferably with military experience would be the way to go – but that’s not normally the VP’s role (Cheney being an exception), it’s really more about someone who won’t mess things up and might bring in a few voters.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Speaking of Michelle, I wonder how “whiteys” will react to this new story.

politico.com/blogs/bensmith/ … stion.html[/quote]

Whiteys like myself will believe it when we see it.

tpmelectioncentral.talkingpoints … broker.php

reason.com/blog/show/126883.html

Typical political dirty tricks. Can’t attack Obama on the issues, so generate a bunch of false rumors to convince the low-information voters. Plenty of people will vote for McCain because they heard from some friend that Obama will swear the oath on a Koran, he will appoint Farrakhan to a Cabinet position, or Michelle Obama once delivered a rant against whiteys.

Depends on how you counted the FL and MI primaries. Hillary would have had more popular votes if you counted it as Hillary ~300,000, Obama 0. But in every other permutation, Obama came out on top.

Linked? Surely, you can differentiate between accepting an endorsement (later rejecting) from a person you’ve never met to sitting in the pews of a church for almost two decades listening to a preacher talk about whites, Jews, and other ethnic groups in disparaging terms.[/quote]

So this is a matter of potato vs potaato, right? :s

No. How is it the same thing in your mind?

Yeah, I heard about that video. After saying it’s time to “get whitey” she goes on to say it’s going to be a “long, hot summer” and things are going to “burn, baby, burn” and it’s time to “off some honkies” because the
“bruthas and sistas on the block” are going to “stick it to the Man”. Jesse Jackson and Reverend Wright are heard shouting “Right on”, “Black is Beautiful” and “Sock it to the ofays” in the background,

Then Michelle puts on her Foxy Brown 'fro wig and they all “get down” and “boogie” to some Parliament Funkadelic.

No, it’s true! The Politico heard it from Matt Drudge who heard it from Jonah Goldberg who heard it from Michelle Malkins who heard it from Rush Limbaugh who heard it from Ann Coulter whose next-door neighbor’s cousin had an aunt who goes to a beauty parlor with someone who actually knows a Negro!

And you know what else? If you’re white and you watch this video, seven days later you will die !!!

Whoa!!! I’ve seen George Clinton and the P Funk band live. Great show. But if Obama wants to win the election, he’ll have to win over to the Boozoo Chavis block of voters (working class whites and blacks as seen dancing in this great video). I don’t think he can do it :smiling_imp:

youtube.com/watch?v=4sHaclvI3-U

credentials and experience being a proven loser?

who would want that?

bring in jack bauer i say

Definitely my man Jim Webb, but I don’t think it will happen. Obama already has the educated, upper income dems wrapped around his little finger. Those are Webb’s demographics too, so I would expect him to pick someone like Edwards or Clinton, but less polarizing, who can bring in the blue collar votes.

Really? I’ve read Jim Webb’s book Born Fighting: The Scots Irish in America. In this book, Jim Webb wrote about his disdain for America’s elite, the attitudes in many of the blue states, his hatred of liberal academics (read about his experiences at Georgetown Law School after Vietnam) and his professed love for rednecks and the working people. Have his attitudes changed that much now that he has been a Senator for a while? If Obama wants to surround himself with hypocrites, it could come back to harm him in the fall.

Really? I’ve read Jim Webb’s book Born Fighting: The Scots Irish in America. In this book, Jim Webb wrote about his disdain for America’s elite, the attitudes in many of the blue states, and his professed love for rednecks and the working people. Have his attitudes changed that much now that he has been a Senator for a while?[/quote]

Hi, Chewy. I’ve read born fighting, too. Great book. You make an interesting point.

If you’ll recall from the Senate campaign, Webb won Virginia due in no small part to his popularity in the Northern Virginia/ DC area. The chatter at the time was that if the election had been held exclusively in SW Virginia he would have lost, and it was only support from NoVa elites that put him over the top. As much as Webb talks about and genuinely loves the working class, I don’t think that’s where most of his actual support comes from. Then again, this is all speculation based on chatter from friends and family who were more plugged in to the Webb campaign at the time than I was, so I’m more than open to other points of view.

Obama and Webb would certainly be an interesting combination.

It would certainly be the brainiest ticket we’ve seen in a long while. The effete high-SAT snob in me would love to see it happen, but I’m not sure how sound it would be strategically.

This washington post article pretty well sums up my feelings:

blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trai … ctual.html