Who will be Kaoshiung's new Mayor?

Another Kaohsiung City Councilor, this time People First Party member Wu Yi-jheng (吳益政), has joined the mayoral race, this time under the banner of the Taiwan Peoples Party (aka the Ko Wen-je Party):

Guy

Since part of Han’s appeal was his daughter, they hope that putting a pretty young face will gather enough votes to at least lose decently or even get a few seats in council.

Both candidates are playing to the “outsider not stained by politics” meme.

Hope the Kaohsiung people do not make the same mistake again…

Are they voting for a new council too?

No, city council election don’t come up until 2022, afaik.

2 Likes

should be single issue election, is the plan.

1 Like

The KMT implosion continues. I guess due diligence is not high on their list of priorities.

Guy

2 Likes

Ugh. Plagiarism… a hallmark of the laziest, most entitled students and a major issue at Taiwanese universities. That makes me hate her even more.

3 Likes

Brian Hioe writing at New Bloom provides more details on the plagiarism scandal:

Guy

3 Likes

Hey, remember when Chen Chi Mai was considered the bland uninspiring candidate?

Yeah… good times.

2 Likes

Has anyone pointed out the irony of her copying from the thesis of a current DPP official?

3 Likes

There are 3 main choices, see ads for all three around town, Good for media companies.

1 Like

So the KMT really doesn’t want to win anymore lol :joy:

1 Like

I suspected that this was the case when the KMT in the Legislative Yuan went all-out to vilify Chen Chu in the recent Control Yuan nomination process. This evidently was to rile up their base while also I surmise punting on Kaohsiung, where Chen was a popular former mayor.

Guy

1 Like

KMT: Yes plagiarism is bad, but we should put this behind us and vote for Li Mei-jhen!

Guy

1 Like

96%?!
What didn’t she copy? Her name, the title and page numbers?

1 Like

Well. They are the KleptoManiac Triad.

Only makes sense that they would support a thief.

Some news reported she even copied spelling errors.

4 Likes

Looks like copying is really part of Jane’s campaign

1 Like

She is going to lose by historic margins. The DPP candidate (who isn’t exactly the most charismatic and dynamic candidate ever) is still beating her by like 30+ points in the polls. At this point the election is more a formality than anything.

2 Likes

3 way election, she may end up being 3rd place. We will see how much influence the Taipei mayor can have have, I see his photos on billboards around town with his party’s running mate and for sure some KMT votes will vote for his party. Just wonder any DPP votes for others as they did not vote for him the first time.