Who will be Kaoshiung's new Mayor?

Honestly? I’d rather the TPP replace the KMT as an opposition party.

Instead of green and blue, we’d have green and green-blue and less likely to fall to China.

1 Like

Given how infrequently I have seen Mayor Ko in the capital during his second term, I think it might be more appropriate at this point to call him Taipei “mayor.”

Guy

I’d rather the TPP replace the KMT as an opposition party.

Ko is the figurehead of the TPP. Where exactly does he stand on what Nathan Batto calls the “China Cleavage” in Taiwan politics? Does anyone really know?

Many young people (who supported him initially) have made up their minds: Ko is not on their side.

Guy

Hankering for some discussion of the upcoming Kaohsiung by-election scheduled next Saturday?

If so, Current Affairs Taiwan might help with this extended conversation between C Donovan Smith and ICRT’s Southern Correspondent Michael Smith:

Guy

1 Like

Is it like a 15-second video saying DPP are guaranteed to win? If so, I might click on it, after a few beers, perhaps

It’s a 30 minute back-and-forth parsing of what’s going on with the election, with some helpful background details.

I recommend brewing a nice cup of coffee to listen to it, possibly on a quiet rainy morning. : D

Guy

1 Like

Yeah. 15 seconds is not good for the algorithm.

It’s also not good for any background or analysis. : D

Guy

1 Like

Polls in Kaohsiung are just about to close.

For interested forumosans, The News Lens has an interactive page that I presume will provide live updates on the results:

Guy

1 Like

KMT candidate (can’t be buggered to remember the bird’s name) is getting absolutely wrecked. She’s only taking in a quarter of the vote. Think you can already put a fork in this thing.

1 Like

No one else is watching?

1 Like

I will just wait for the end result, heading off to the EU supermarket before they close at 7 and hope see nice results when I am back.

1 Like

I think we already know the end result. :wink:

So far

TPP really lagging behind.

1 Like

Even if KMT DOUBLED their vote count, they’d still be behind right now. :flushed:

Seems only ads around town I saw where from KMT. They wasted a lot of cash it seems.

It seems the Han administration REALLY pissed off the people of Kaohsiung.

Guy

1 Like

Final vote tallies are in:

Guy

Yeah, kind of a foregone conclusion, even with a dud like Chen Chi-mai.

1 Like

Looks like a lot more people voted to recall Han than for Chen Chi-mai.

1 Like